Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Desolate Rewrite (Director's cut?)

Started by tr1p1ea, August 13, 2015, 03:21:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tr1p1ea

A few years ago I started rewriting a game that I wrote even longer ago called Desolate. After recently recovering the source I have been working through the code trying to figure out where I was at.

I have successfully ported this program to a 2-page APP ... meaning that I have some extra data space to play with :).

I also managed to find a copy of the map editor posted earlier which is nice. I have updated it slightly and mapped all the doors in the game so you can at least walk around the entire map now.

I have also properly implemented shooting and allowed for different weapons that shoot different looking projectiles, firing rates and bullet speeds. I also plan on having a laser weapon that shoots an instant line (and some other surprises hopefully :)).

Along with fixing a lot of bugs that I've encountered - hopefully I can keep at it.

Screenie:

princetonlion.tibd

Can it be played on an 83+?I remember wanting to play this game but I couldn't cram it into my 83+ because I had so much stuff back then
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84 + CSE, Voyager 200, TI-Nspire
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)

Dream of Omnimaga

I'm glad you could finally recover the source. I was worried that it was lost forever. Hopefully the map editor helps you too. This always looked amazing when I saw the screenshots on MaxCoderz a few years ago  :)

How good is the grayscale on the 83+ and 84+ by the way?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

That looks pretty sweet :3 allthough the text is a bit of a challenge to read :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

TheMachine02

I do particulary like the reflect on the ground, it give a nice touch to this already well looking game. Can't wait to see what will come next  :D

Hooloowalrus

I too love the reflections. Sometimes they look like they are reflecting the tops of, for example, the chairs or whatever, when I think only the side should be visible. Regardless, this looks beautiful and like it will be a fun game to play.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83, TI-83+ purple, TI-83+SE, TI-83+.fr USB, TI-84+ SE, TI-84 pocket.fr, Commodore PR-100, 4xTI-73, a couple TI-82s, TI-XXXXXXXXXXX, [blank] (nspire prototype), Nspire CAS+, Nspire Clickpad non-CAS, Nspire CX, HP Prime (lost in space), HP 50G, TI-92+

Snektron

Whoa i hadn't even seen t he reflections yet :o. That looks pretty sweet
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Unicorn

Indeed!I can't wait for a playable demo/release.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

aetios

I liked this game a lot when I played it, even though it was a little bit short. I also played it in class so I didn't really have time to enjoy the story as much :P
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Hooloowalrus on August 13, 2015, 07:00:04 PM
I too love the reflections. Sometimes they look like they are reflecting the tops of, for example, the chairs or whatever, when I think only the side should be visible. Regardless, this looks beautiful and like it will be a fun game to play.
I have the feeling it just mirrors existing sprites. Maybe tr1p could use a different tileset for mirrored stuff?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

tr1p1ea

If I have time I will play with some special effects and such, but i'd like to get the main game content sorted before I start polishing too much.

Also idea - In the original there was a Kirby plush toy as a collectible item. I was thinking about changing this to a 'Walrii plus toy' ... what do you think?

The main issue is that we will need an 8x8 8lvl grayscale Walrii sprite.

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh wait I forgot about that Kirby thing O.O. A Walrii plush would be nice actually. There is sadly no 8x8 sprite yet, though. Someone else also asked for one. I am curious about how to make a Walrus in 8x8.

Also an idea if such sprite ever comes to fruition would be to make the description or item action so that it temporarily displays an enlarged view of it (eg the 24x24 one)

tr1p1ea

I'm not sure if i will be able to do a 24x24 one as that would take up 288bytes, though its a good idea (maybe if there is a colour version?).

I'm hoping that due to there being 8 gray levels that some detail can be achieved at 8x8.

Dream of Omnimaga

A color version would be great. :D By the way, to make color tiles I just extract the sprite sheet then open it in an image editor, with the calculator green hue. Then I just change the hue of each tile one by one and saturation, as needed.

As for the 8x8 walrus I'll see if I can do anything later. I can't promise anything, though.

EDIT: @tr1p1ea I decided to give it a try. Hard to cram that many details into 8x8 x.x (especially in monochrome)

CKH4

That is pretty good. I think it will look nice if tr1p1ea adds it to the game.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+