Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Fun things to know about CW

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, January 08, 2015, 12:35:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

The TI forum stats spread sheet in the other topic kinda reminded me of another fun fact about CodeWalrus:

-When the site was first discussed one year ago, one idea I had in mind to save on hosting and have less work to do was to simply squat a dead TI forum then attempt reviving it, rather than just starting a new board from scratch. HRP was among the boards considered, since I am global moderator there, and the old CalcHaven board would have been another alternative if it wasn't for the obnoxious Webring script on the page. MaxCoderz was obviously another idea, because tr1p1ea is still sometimes around and he could have easily re-enabled registrations on that site, plus it's MaxCoderz. Of course that would have led to issues if we needed to change sub-forums or moderate, though (except maybe in the case of MaxCoderz since tr1p1ea is still around), so a brand new site was my priority over that idea if I got hosting.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

Interesting idea...

Fun FAKE fact:
There is a unicorn overlord here. Guess who? :trollface:
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Yuki

Quote from: Unicorn on July 03, 2015, 02:53:57 AM
There is a unicorn overlord here. Guess who? :trollface:
It's obviously me. I'm a unicorn too, I'm your supreme overlord, so yeah, me.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Unicorn

Yeah, and I'm Robert Seagull, suuuurrrrre.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

This thread is about actual CW facts, though, not fake ones (not a spam thread).
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

I just needed to add something to that post above,it was to bland with just an interesting.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Necro-update: I updated the easter eggs part of the first post about the /walrii command and other ones. This reminds me that at some point I should update the post-count-based usergroups to be more fun. I am unsure if I want them to be level-based since it was already done before, but we could probably do it anyway and have CW-related stuff.

TheLastMillennial

First off, I'm having a very tough time finding my way around CW, if there is a better place to put this post then I (or an admin) can move it if you'd like.

I was looking through my profile settings and I noticed that Cemetech is not linkable to my account while TIcalc.org is. Also, Cemetech is not under 'Our affiliates'. Would this be from a friendly rivalry, or what? Cemetech is a very big community and I would think at least equal to ticalc.org .
  • Calculators owned: HP Prime G2, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-34, Boring Sharp calculator

Thank you for your time, go make a paradox, have a good day.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah the account linking is more of an option to add your other account nicknames to your profile (like with AIM, Skype, etc). It's not a real link per-SE. It was not added back then because ticalc.org was the main file archives for calculator games. We are not affiliated with Cemetech because it wasn't something we considered yet. So far, we only affiliated with the two former Omnimaga affiliates, which are Planète-Casio and TI-Planet, as well as Bosaiknet gaming server community, Velocity Games and both our sister sites BroniesQC and calc.news.

As for the site layout being confusing, note that forums are a dying (and often seen as obsolete and avoided) social media medium that was originally not designed with smartphones in mind. We are planning to switch to a different forum software in the future to modernize the site and fix various issues that we had, so you might have to get used to a new layout in the future, but there are chances that we will use PhpBB 3.2, so it's possible that the options will become similar to Cemetech and TI-Planet (which uses PhpBB 2.x.x and 3.0.x respectively)

c4ooo

Quote from: TheLastMillennial on August 10, 2017, 11:28:15 PM
First off, I'm having a very tough time finding my way around CW, if there is a better place to put this post then I (or an admin) can move it if you'd like.
I find cemetech a lot harder to navigate then omnimaga or codewalrus. I joined omnimaga long before I joined cemetech cause the interface was a lot easier (and also omni was more axe oriented).

As for the links - as xlibman ha already said - its a link for
more social media type sites, ticalc is there because its the biggest calculator file sharing site ;)

As for affiliation codewlrus doesn't have the most friendly relationship with omni and cemetech.

Dream of Omnimaga

I never really had issues with Cemetech interface nor Omni (other than the removal of articles until recently) and TI-Planet (other than auto-login not working properly), but in the last 2 years I notice more and more people who have a problem with at least one of those site's interface.
Quote from: c4ooo on August 11, 2017, 12:04:40 AM
ticalc is there because its the biggest calculator file sharing site
It depends. TI-Planet had at least 1,124,866 files, versus 46,953 on ticalc.org, but only 45,020 of those 1,124,866 files are visible to the public.

c4ooo

Quote from: xlibman on August 11, 2017, 12:14:36 AM
It depends. TI-Planet had at least 1,124,866 files, versus 46,953 on ticalc.org, but only 45,020 of those 1,124,866 files are visible to the public.
Wait really? what's the point then? O.o

Anyways I have always used ticalx cause its the most neutral IMHO.

Dream of Omnimaga

Many of the TI-Planet files are mViewer GX files, generated for classroom use, and I believe that many people prefers them to be unlisted from the downloads section (personal data maybe?). But yeah ticalc.org is the main site since it's pretty much where the TI community was born and despite a few exceptions over the last 21 years (eg the refusal to feature xLIB APP or any Cemetech file at first), it's the most neutral place

TheLastMillennial

Ah I see, thank you guys. It'll just take me some time to get use to the new interface.  :)
  • Calculators owned: HP Prime G2, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-34, Boring Sharp calculator

Thank you for your time, go make a paradox, have a good day.

mazhat

Virtual squatting, or hostile takeover? >:)
  • Calculators owned: TI-83Plus, TI-84Plus
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Samsung TAB A (Cheap), DSI, Rasperry PI 3
Sketti