Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Buying a new laptop for 450 dollars

Started by Unicorn, April 21, 2015, 04:14:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strontium

Step 1. Reinstall Windows

Boom. No more bloat.
  • Calculators owned: TI Nspire CX, HP Prime
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: NES

Yuki

Yeah, the best way is to reinstall Windows as soon as you get it. Or Linux. Or even Mac. Your choice.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I don't think you can safely remove the bloatware from the program uninstall screen. I heard that sometimes it can backfire (as in, punish you), especially with HP computers. So a reformat might be the best solution unless there is some secret on Google. Do a backup CD/DVD first, though, and ensure you got a copy of Windows and the serial before deleting anything.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U
Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)

Unicorn

What do you mean a backup CD? Dump the Windows operating system on it? Wouldn't that be illegal? I don't actually have a copy of windows 8 either. What is the serial, the serial number?

Whew, that's a lot of questions :P
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

CKH4

If your laptop shipped with windows then you own a copy of windows. You'll need to find the product key, it is supposed to be in the package that you received. Then you'll need to download a copy of the windows version that came on you computer. This is perfectly legal. Once you have your windows iso you need to download an iso burning tool, I use Rufus but it doesn't really matter. You'll also need a flash drive, probably at least 4gb but 8gb is better. If you need help burning the iso to the usb flash drive I can help you but its pretty self explanatory. Before you overwrite your computer make sure to find your windows key. Then installing it is just as easy as following the prompts.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

Snektron

Almost everything is allowed with software if you don't share it :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: CKH4 on May 13, 2015, 12:17:55 PM
If your laptop shipped with windows then you own a copy of windows.
Yeah I was saying because in my case, I once had to reformat my computer, but I had lost the original packaging and manuals, so I no longer had the serial key. I also heard stories about stores that didn't give a serial number with the computers they sold.

As for illegal copies of Windows, I think Microsoft softwares can detect it when you are asked to validate your Windows install. If it's not genuine, then you cannot receive system updates and are severely limited in what you can download from Microsoft.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Nah, worse than that, you can't use Windows after a delay if your pirated copy is busted.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Snektron

What, i don't have an illegal version or anything :-X
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

novenary

I have a reliable source of legal keys for windows. Apparently Harold can get them for free from ms because of a student program or something. :P

Unicorn

I'm currently burning the .iso file...
Wait, so could I burn a Mac or linux ios file, and I would have a mac or linux computer?
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

CKH4

Yep, good luck though. If you need any help I'll probably know something about it. I've done this a few times before. You can load multiple Oses onto the same HDD by partitioning. I've heard its better to use the built in tools included in the isos but I've never had a problem using the built in windows one.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

Unicorn

I just ran minecraft with largest render distance, fanciest textures, and all particles, and this computer behaves awesomely! :w00t: :D

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Duke "Tape" Eiyeron on May 14, 2015, 07:11:38 AM
Nah, worse than that, you can't use Windows after a delay if your pirated copy is busted.
Ah that changed then. I had an illegal copy of Windows 2000 for a while (since that's what came on my first computer) and XP because I lost the first serial number and I didn't have any problem other than not being warned that I won't be able to update.

Also if you aren't too used to Windows, you could try Linux as well or dual-boot with it and Windows.

novenary

Quote from: Unicorn on May 15, 2015, 02:03:46 AM
I'm currently burning the .iso file...
Wait, so could I burn a Mac or linux ios file, and I would have a mac or linux computer?
Linux, yes. Mac is a little bit trickier to get running on a regular PC.