Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

CodeWalrus: Now with ads!

Started by Yuki, October 07, 2016, 10:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuki

Well, we got the suggestion a few days ago, we looked at our options and we delivered. Well, I know what you're thinking, ads are usually annoying and full of viruses (eh, Google AdSense?). Well, we hardly make any profit with CW and we don't look for it either, and we're all Internet users like you with AdBlock on, so we looked for the best we can. And this is the best we found.

Project Wonderful works unlike other ad providers: advertisers bid on a particular ad space, just like on eBay and such. Click here to find out. That means that if you have some money to spare, you can get an ad for your project just here in the ad box and we get most of the profits! And yeah, that means we get less third-party advertsers from random places (although they could still find us in Project Wonderful's search engine, but I'll have to approve them), so we get more ads related to us. Isn't that great? Click on the "Your ad here" link to get started!

Of course, I don't think this could ever cover our server costs, but if it does, good! I do it more for your project's visibility than anything. If you're the first bidder, you don't pay for now, but if there's more than one bidder, that's great! Don't forget that I'll have to approe all ads before they show up on the site.

Of course, since we're not paid per click or anything, we still get paid if you enable AdBlock or not, but it's recommended to disable it for the site to see all the nice ads our users would put there and to help Project Wonderful to get more accurate statistics for our site.

I want to see all the nice things you put there! If you need help to advertise here, or you have some suggestions, please tell us!

EDIT: Congrats to @kotu who graces us with the first ever ad on CodeWalrus. Right now, he gets free advertisement, but If you want to try to outbid him, feel free to do so!
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

c4ooo

Won't be surprised when I see "the game" in that ad space >_>

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah, although I hope Juju won't allow ads with sound/requiring Flash. >.< ANyway we considered using ads for ages in order to cover the hosting bill and potential future contests (including the Yearly CW Project Award in a few months), especially since only two of our staff members have actual income and that in my case, that income is in Canadian dollars. Also unlike three of the four other big calculator forums, we are not affiliated with Casio nor TI for contest prizes >.<
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

kotu

Quote from: Juju on October 07, 2016, 10:07:35 PM
EDIT: Congrats to @kotu who graces us with the first ever ad on CodeWalrus. Right now, he gets free advertisement, but If you want to try to outbid him, feel free to do so!

Do NOT outbid me.  :)
  • Calculators owned: TI 84+CE-T
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3
SUBSCRIBE TO THE FUTURERAVE.UK MAILING LIST
http://futurerave.uk

Dream of Omnimaga

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Yeah, I know. I'll look at a solution soon.

At least there's only scrollbars on the ads and not everything.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

True, but I don't think it's allowed to hide parts of ads in most ad service TOS and it doesn't really look professional. I sure hope that Project Wonderful at least has features to detect mobile devices and smaller resolutions or scaling down.

pimathbrainiac

Ad submitted. Let's hope it gets approved :P
Well, I'm bach here too!

kotu

I hope everyone else's ads get screwed and only mine is displayed.
  • Calculators owned: TI 84+CE-T
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3
SUBSCRIBE TO THE FUTURERAVE.UK MAILING LIST
http://futurerave.uk

Dream of Omnimaga

Lol kotu. <_< *stabs*

:3=

inb4 Cemetech ad with $1000 bid :P

Yuki

Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

novenary

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 08, 2016, 12:22:39 AM
True, but I don't think it's allowed to hide parts of ads in most ad service TOS and it doesn't really look professional. I sure hope that Project Wonderful at least has features to detect mobile devices and smaller resolutions or scaling down.
I doubt they're strict on that.

Also regarding flash/sound/etc: it's against their ToS to have ads play audio without user interaction.

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah ok. Still, it would definitively be cool if the ads were responsive. :P After all, we worked hard to make our site theme responsive lol

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 07, 2016, 11:11:06 PM
Problemo:

Scrollbars D:
I am against ads above the fold. There is already a lot of scrolling involved to get to the content which is not a good thing.
[spoiler=Responsive web design (above the fold rules)]

[/spoiler]

Best would really be sidebar ads. Footer ads wouldn't be seen by anyone. Another idea is having ads between posts but that might be annoying.
If all financing fails, just downgrade the site a little. E.g. go for shared hosting, drop unnecessary features that require a VPS. That could already save quite a bit.

On mobile, this is a difficult thing. Maybe ads between the posts there could be a possible solution.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

aetios

We're still discussing where to place the ads. We really don't want to place ads between the posts because we felt it's way too intrusive. Anyway, as said before if the ads annoy you you're free to block them :)
ceci n'est pas une signature