Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Design and layout

Started by DarkestEx, October 22, 2015, 11:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

I am ok with that. IMHO the minimal setup should focus on a d-pad where arrows aren't connected to each others (allowing left+right or up+down to be pressed simultaneously) and have the 4 buttons on the other side be setup in a similar fashion. There could then be two more buttons somewhere for home menu and the like. L/R triggers aren't needed unless someone makes some shooter with dual-d-pad gameplay (where the A/B/X/Y buttons are used as a second d-pad for camera).
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

adekto

ok about the d-pad
iv been looking around for off the shelf tactile key caps. so atm there all seperate caps not one big cross conection.
reason why we dont want to use the cross dpad is that the buton assambly is biger then the hole unit almoust and involes custom parts

other ways to make it smaller is using silecone pads (used on xbox,playstation and nintendo devices) but at our curent volume its not realy posible to get molds for those

so we are curently looking at caps like these for both dpad and action butons

Dream of Omnimaga

Are they much bigger than standard gamepad buttons? What about bulk pricing?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

adekto

whats the standard? the bulk pricing is resonable anything above 2000 caps (asuming all the same button size and color, sorry i cant get multicolor at the moment)

Dream of Omnimaga

By standard, I mean Playstation 3, 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, 3DS and PSVita buttons (the size of the A, B, X, Y, circle, square, X and triangle buttons). But again, the 3DS buttons are a bit on the small side IIRC.

However, couldn't buttons like on calculators be used instead of the ones like in the picture above, or would durability be an issue?

adekto

i think we lean on the 3Ds size, maybe slightly bigger.

so about calculator switchs are custom injected of silicone  with a conductive pad and usualy coverd by a plastic cap (else you get that zx spectrum rubbery button) anyway thats what most high volume products use like game controlers.

we dont have a budget to make these custom parts, and i dont trust the china stuff (like the arduboy is using)
and since tactile switches are proven to work realy well. dont see why we need to invest in somthing that could posible rot or watever fault could happen, we might still change if we can find somthing off the shelf from a reliable source

DarkestEx

Quote from: adekto on October 31, 2015, 12:43:15 PM
i think we lean on the 3Ds size, maybe slightly bigger.

so about calculator switchs are custom injected of silicone  with a conductive pad and usualy coverd by a plastic cap (else you get that zx spectrum rubbery button) anyway thats what most high volume products use like game controlers.

we dont have a budget to make these custom parts, and i dont trust the china stuff (like the arduboy is using)
and since tactile switches are proven to work realy well. dont see why we need to invest in somthing that could posible rot or watever fault could happen, we might still change if we can find somthing off the shelf from a reliable source
Yes, I think so too.
Also button caps for tactile buttons in different colors are readily available to buy.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

p4nix

Once you are ready, do you think it would be possible to buy the microcat with an individual design? I mean without buying additional replacement buttons like the gamebuino...
  • Calculators owned: fx9860GII (SH4)

DarkestEx

Quote from: p4nix on October 31, 2015, 02:30:05 PM
Once you are ready, do you think it would be possible to buy the microcat with an individual design? I mean without buying additional replacement buttons like the gamebuino...
I don't see why we can't.
If we sell over 100 units then we will offer that.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

adekto

yes we will if we are over 100 ish we can have a bit of extra caps, will also look into difrent case colors aswel

Dream of Omnimaga

I see about the buttons. I actually thought that the other solution would actually be cheaper and easier to find, but I'm glad that the solution you already had is cheaper.

adekto

stil WIP, but tell me wat people thing of sandwiched acrilic

curently went witht he idea of low profile (no buton caps) but im not to impressed with it
also the edges are to sharp i feel so need to fix that

by all means tell me what u think or what u would like to see changed, im open to sugestions

aetios

If you bevel and rounden the edge a bit more, that looks fine to me :)
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dream of Omnimaga

My main concern is is the thing surrounding the top of the console some sort of border that is higher than the rest? Because I forsee dirt and dust getting stuck in the corners over time and perhaps it might not be very comfortable to hold. That's unless of course this is an optical illusion caused by using multiple layers of acrylic.

Also it seemed a bit strange that the screws are a bit out, unless it's the acrylic being translucent and making me think the screws are loose. As for the screws being on the top, Couldn't that cause comfortability issues as well? That's unless you plan to add an extra faceplate at the top. I also agree with aeTIos. As for the buttons, are those the final button caps?

novenary

It's a prototype, I think they'll figure out how to hide the screws or at least make it look pretty. There are no caps on these buttons.