Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

(Results out!) The 4x3 contest comes to an end!

Started by Yuki, June 01, 2015, 12:00:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Juju on June 01, 2015, 12:47:15 AM
Quote from: DarkestEx on June 01, 2015, 12:22:55 AM
Quote from: Juju on June 01, 2015, 12:00:11 AM
Well, it's the end of the contest! Thanks to everyone who submitted an entry! And if you haven't done it yet, well too bad.

You were a total of 13 contestants who submitted an entry, they are now up for consideration by the judges! We will also give download links here real soon so you can try them out! Also, feel free to post them in your topic now.

Have fun ^_^
I hope you still got it. It arrived a few mins late, because of some problems on my side. Gmail was not working. and stuff.
Please still judge it, although I know I can't win the 1st place anymore.

Muessigb.

I used a GMX.DE mail adress to send it, so that it doesn't confuse.
DJ is probably at some hockey game right now so I'm handling this while he's not here. Well, as you got some problems with your email and you still managed to post it before I post all the entries online I'd forgive you, but well it's pretty much case by case. DJ have the final word on this though, so let's wait for him to say what he thinks.

By the way you can try them out here, I'll post the votes ar around midnight GMT-4, or at least after we checked for their validity.
I would say it's fine in this case due to the aforementionned e-mail issue, but the next time we do a contest it doesn't mean entries will be accepted after the deadline. This is why I stated before to not wait until the very last minute to submit entries, in case e-mail issues, unexpected bugs in your program or Internet connection dying would happen at the end. This is also why I gave a bit more than 1 month to make your entry after all ;), so yeah, this 20-minutes late entry (or 11?) will be accepted but for CW Contest #2 (or rather 1 since this contest is more a mini-contest) it will not be.

Same goes for the readme.txt that was missing in one entry. The entry arrived before the deadline but the readme was missing. Also, the only reason why a txt readme was required was to stop Nspire Lua programmers from including their readmes inside the executable, which prevents people from knowing what they're about to download (eg if it's a graphical RPG or pure menu-only garbage, which is given away by game controls) and if it runs on their hardware, thus, causing them to waste their time (especially with how long Nspire Student Software takes to startup).

That one entry that got in 4 hours after the deadline, on the other hand, won't be accepted. On top of that the person who submitted this late didn't even bother making a topic about his entry and has 0 posts, so even if he had submitted in time, without a topic his entry would be disqualified anyway.

When I ran Omnimaga (including two contest and part of a third one) the entries were always accepted up to 1 hour past the announced deadline.

Also I'll attach a poll to this topic with entry download (and web links if applicable), but with the author nicks and entry title and topic links, so people know which entry is whom and stuff.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

Is the poll out? Anywats congrats to darkest for getting his entry in!
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Haobo

Well, I'm kinda late here cause got work, but yay, so many entries! Gotta try them all out tomorrow :P.
  • Calculators owned: Ti 84+, Ti 84+CSE
can't save
Flappy Bird Slow scrolling
2048 Crashes sometimes
Five Nights at Freddy's Very large

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Unicorn on June 01, 2015, 05:39:38 AM
Is the poll out? Anywats congrats to darkest for getting his entry in!
Not yet, I was testing all entries one by one (except the ones I already tested earlier that didn't get updated) to ensure that they work. I confirm that the 14 accepted entries are working and thus, remains accepted. :P So the poll will begin as soon as I set it up.

EDIT: The poll is up at http://codewalr.us/index.php?topic=509.0 ! Choose your three favorite entries! Meanwhile, I'll begin judging.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

Cool! :D Also i can't wait to play these, just got to find the time x.x though i will be taking the ti 84 entries to play on school thank you
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh I forgot to mention in the first post: Watch out about seizures! Some of those entries are quite flashy due to being 4x3!

DarkestEx

Quote from: JWinslow23 on June 01, 2015, 12:26:34 PM
By the way, does anyone know when voting will end? I want to know if I can test the entries I can before voting ends.
June 15
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

brentmaas

How will the final score be calculated? I understand that the scores from grading will be averaged, but how about the poll?
Lel I glitched Omni

LD Studios

The poll seems unfair because platforms that more users have access to will get more votes

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: DarkestEx on June 01, 2015, 12:27:53 PM
Quote from: JWinslow23 on June 01, 2015, 12:26:34 PM
By the way, does anyone know when voting will end? I want to know if I can test the entries I can before voting ends.
June 15
It depends if I somehow run out of time during that time frame, though. With 14 entries that could take a while, especially that I will at least try to play through games for a while to see if they have a significant length and entertainment value. Even longer if I get addicted to one of them like in previous contests I ran <_<

Quote from: brentmaas on June 01, 2015, 01:18:13 PM
How will the final score be calculated? I understand that the scores from grading will be averaged, but how about the poll?
I thought about something such as 60% total votes and 40% judging (basically if there is a total of 60 entries voted for, then the judging scores would be divided until their total reaches 40), but ideally I would like to do it like the 2010 Omnimaga contest that I partly judged. The ratio might vary based on how many votes we get, but it's unlikely we will get more judges at this point. Just as long as people's voice on this forum (via the contest poll) has enough power rather than just 1 single judge. After all, I am confident that our forum members are able to use enough common sense to not vote on a contest entry only if it's called Pokémon. ;) On the other hand, LD Studio has a point about people having the platforms or not so judging results will definitively have a significant impact on final results.
Quote from: LD Studios on June 01, 2015, 07:08:39 PM
The poll seems unfair because platforms that more users have access to will get more votes
We didn't have much choice sadly due to the multi-platform nature of this contest. Sadly we can't please everyone when we only have 1 category. Not to mention that if we had multiple categories per platform, then both gameblabla and alexgt would have won by default.

Dream of Omnimaga

UPDATE: A SMF bug combined with my lower account permissions (compared to Street, Juju and Eiyeron) has resulted into the poll results becoming public for a short while earlier. I apologize about that. It is fixed now, but to prevent this from happening again, I would like to ask any staff that are not part of the server maintenance group to not edit the poll. The issue was caused by how I have full privileges when creating new polls, but limited privileges when editing them, so once I edit an existing poll, it makes results public by default and I can no longer change the expiry date. I have found a way to set my group to be able to edit any poll, but it did not fix the problem.

So now the only way to keep results hidden until the end is to ensure that no staff other than those in the red server maintenance group edits the poll.

alexgt

Yeah when I voted I was wondering about that! Glad it is (kind of) fixed :)
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Dream of Omnimaga

Thanks. SMF can be annoying sometimes. It was entirely possible that the poll would be unfixable, in which case the results would have been public until the end (and this would probably be the last time I make a poll for a contest)

I also added the poll to the front page, but the choices are hidden if you voted or if you do not have voting privileges.

alexgt

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on June 03, 2015, 11:01:14 PM
I also added the poll to the front page, but the choices are hidden if you voted or if you do not have voting privileges.
So if you didn't vote you can see the results!?
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX