Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Google Cardboard

Started by 123outerme, October 23, 2016, 05:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123outerme

I just received my Google Cardboard in the mail and I'm very impressed with it. This being a technology forum, does anyone else have one? What games/apps do you like? I'll add a list of mine below.
If you don't know what Google Cardboard is, it's literally cardboard. Well, it's a 3D viewer/headset made out of your phone and a material such as cardboard or plastic. On your phone, you launch VR apps which basically splits phone res in half to display two eyes-worth of game. It's the same system the Oculus Rift first used. As this is tied to your phone, you can both take and view pictures (in 3D or not), watch videos (on Youtube, from your phone storage, etc.), surf the Internet, and more. Of course, games are the best part.

[spoiler=Apps I Have]
*Fulldive (basically a VR launcher app combined with Internet, viewing pictures/videos)
*BAMF VR (Puzzle game where you teleport around the map to collect gems. My personal favorite game)
*Trooper 2 (Basically a 3D version of those crappy zombie-killing games where you turn the camera 360 degrees to find and kill zombies standing still, but VR)
*StarTracker VR (Basically a planetarium)
*Youtube (watching videos on a seemingly room-sized screen is cooler than it may sound, not to mention 360 videos)
[/spoiler]
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

Yuki

I own a View-Master (Cardboard-compatible), but, unfortunately, due to my brother's tendency to steal my things and my compatible phones breaking (or being stolen by my brother), I haven't had really tried it as much as I wanted, so I can't really tell. Otherwise, yeah, for the few times I tried, it's pretty cool.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

I was considering getting one, but I thought they stopped producing it so I kinda forgot
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 23, 2016, 08:44:26 PM
I was considering getting one, but I thought they stopped producing it so I kinda forgot
Lol they're pretty easy to get actually. I bought mine for $8 US including shipping, so they're definitely not short on supply.
Quote from: Juju on October 23, 2016, 06:27:20 PM
I own a View-Master (Cardboard-compatible), but, unfortunately, due to my brother's tendency to steal my things and my compatible phones breaking (or being stolen by my brother), I haven't had really tried it as much as I wanted, so I can't really tell. Otherwise, yeah, for the few times I tried, it's pretty cool.
That's a shame. I heard about the ViewMaster one, and personally they made the right choice green lighting that project. Basically they came full circle.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

Dream of Omnimaga

I'll see how much they charge for shipping in Canada. But I might not use it very often, since I bet staring at a phone screen this close to my eyes for a long while must not be good for the eyes. And I'm prone to headaches.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Yeah, the View-Master is like $30 at Best Buy. Not bad for a VR headset.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

WholeWheatBagels

I had one of the original ViewMasters (the kind with the paper disk with the film images). I wonder how these new ones work.

At least i think it was a viewmaster i had...
Living in another world to you.

Also in case you were wondering Frankie did go to Hollywood

Yuki

Yeah, they wanted to do something fancy with the new View-Masters, there's still discs, the button is still there, but you have to insert your phone, download the app and it does some AR thing with the disc. At least it's compatible with Google Cardboard so they already had a framework to base their thingy on and you can do other things with it.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

Woah Viewmaster brings back some old memories, if you mean that red toy thing with the discs. It was fun as kid for a while. Back then I didn't know it was that old, though, as I thought it came out in the late 80's or early 90's.