Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Keyberry Pi - A small, keyboard sized computer

Started by DarkestEx, December 14, 2015, 12:39:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkestEx

I returned the original keyboard and bought following items:

- USB hub (4€)

- Keyboard (20€)

- Set of one right and one left angled microUSB extension (10€ for both together)

- miniHDMI (left angled) to normal HDMI (7€)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

c4ooo

Well, nothings free :P
How do you plan to power the pie? It will be a bit uncomfortable having a power cord going to a keyboard :P

DarkestEx

Quote from: c4ooo on December 17, 2015, 01:02:32 AM
How do you plan to power the pie? It will be a bit uncomfortable having a power cord going to a keyboard :P
It will just be powered using a micro USB power supply. I will put a micro USB jack on the outside together with a few USB ports and standard HDMI.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

DarkestEx

Great news!
The new keyboard has arrived and its just awesome. It feels great, it looks great and the quality is awesome.
It has a ton of free space inside and the buttons feel good.

I will not put the jacks inside of the keyboard anymore but I will bring the cables outside. It will have standard HDMI for video, 3 USB ports and micro USB for power.

This is the new USB hub (9€):

alexgt

• Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

DarkestEx

Quote from: alexgt on December 18, 2015, 02:36:31 PM
Wow nice! glad to hear this is coming along ;)
Yea, I am still waiting for everything to arrive. The hub and the Pi are still not there yet.
As soon as everything's there I will start building it and making the guided tutorial with photos, links and everything else that is required to build it :)

alexgt

Cool, would it be a good starter project (starters as in almost no experience with RPi like me :P)

Dream of Omnimaga

Hopefully you don't run out of space again this time. It would be cool if you could recreate some sort of clone of older machine. One thing I wonder, though, is if a RPi Zero requires ventilation for heat? Wouldn't putting it inside an enclosed space such as the inside of a keyboard cause overheating?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

aetios

ceci n'est pas une signature

alexgt

Are there any updates so far @DarkestEx ? I am ordering a RaPi Zero soon I think ;)

DarkestEx

Quote from: alexgt on January 03, 2016, 06:45:36 AM
Are there any updates so far @DarkestEx ? I am ordering a RaPi Zero soon I think ;)
Great!
Well my Pi has not arrived yet as the online shop still does not have them in stock. But all other parts have arrived so far and work fine. I can't wait to start with the build and the tutorial :)

ben_g

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 19, 2015, 09:43:57 AM
Hopefully you don't run out of space again this time. It would be cool if you could recreate some sort of clone of older machine. One thing I wonder, though, is if a RPi Zero requires ventilation for heat? Wouldn't putting it inside an enclosed space such as the inside of a keyboard cause overheating?
If it is anything like the B+ or 2B, then it doesn't generate a lot of heat, especially not as long as it is not under high loads for a long time. A few small holes drilled in the plastic near the CPU to allow a bit of air circulation will probably be enough.

alexgt

O.O it has taken a long time for the Pi to get there O.O

DarkestEx

Well the preorder site I ordered it on 14/12/2015 says it's sold out. I'll have to see when they ship me my item.

alexgt

I meant you would think they would have it in stock by now with such high demand xD