Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Optimise Ubuntu and make it run a little faster

Started by gameblabla, January 30, 2017, 05:11:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameblabla

One of the nice things about Gentoo Linux is the fact that you can build optimized packages for your own machine,
potentially increasing performance.
However, Gentoo is kind of a pain in the ass to set up so i wondered how i could improve the perfs on my Ubuntu machine.
Here are the benchmark results with hardinfo :
Linux 4.10 rc2
Stock glibc
Blowfish
CryptoHash
Fibonacci
N-Queens
FPU FFT
Raytracing

I wondered if compiling and optimising glibc for my own PC would not improve performance ?
I looked up online and i was told it would not increase anything since it looks at the ELF table and blablabla....
I attempted it anyway, here are the options i used :
-march=native -mtune=native -O3 -s
I just modified the debian scripts (rules in particular) to compile glibc, nothing special.

After i installed my new glibc and rebooted, i ran the same benchmark again and here are the results :
Optimised Glibc (-march=native -mtune=native -O3)
Blowfish
CrytoHash
Fibonacci
N-Queens
FPU FFT
Raytracing

So optimising glibc actually improved the performance a bit, despite what most other people claimed.
FPU benchmark are not vastly improved but everything else is, especially Blowfish and CryptoHash.
I also tried compiling my own linux kernel with more aggressive optimisations (-O3 -march=native -mtune=native)
and the benefits were very, very small...

Recompiling glibc for your own PC has its benefits so...
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Yuki

I usually go for Linux-ck, which comes with better I/O and CPU schedulers, which would improve performance quite a bit on desktops. I don't know if there's PPAs for that for Ubuntu, but the guy who maintain the Linux-ck repo on Arch Linux also provides optimized kernels with -march=native and all. Dunno if that makes a big difference, but it's better than nothing.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here