Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[Survey] Concerning the TI-Concours 2016

Started by noelnadal, October 29, 2015, 03:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noelnadal

Update : the TI-Concours 2016 starts on January 11th ! Get ready ! :D

Hello,

the TI-Concours 2016 will probably be held in a few months, and now I am trying to decide which languages will be allowed this year.

The TI-Concours is a programming contest in which you use your calculator. Il was held once a year from 2011 to 2014 but it was cancelled in 2015. In order to win this year you will have to make several programs that will mostly be entertaining, so that you may enjoy it.  :D

There is no oral exam from now on. ;)

If you are interested by this contest, and if you are willing to participate when it starts, then please help by filling this form : h t t p :// goo.gl/forms/7k4B5Hyo1R.
This is not a registration form, this is a survey to help me choose which categories there will be in 2016.

Thanks !

Noël.

Max Leiter

Filled out :) Will definitely participate if I have the time

Araidia

Seems really fun, but I still have to learn TI BASIC. Maybe next year...
  • Calculators owned: TI84+ CE

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard

noelnadal

The contest starts in 2016. You still have a lot of time. ;)

Araidia

Quote from: noelnadal on October 29, 2015, 05:09:06 PM
The contest starts in 2016. You still have a lot of time. ;)
Trust me, I don't have a lot of time :P
  • Calculators owned: TI84+ CE

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard

Dream of Omnimaga

HI and welcome to the forums Noel. In my opinion, due to the management problems and controversies that happened during the 2013 and 2014 editions when you got incredibly busy, I think the 2016 edition should have fewer rounds to manage and perhaps omit the oral part. Also you should ensure that you are able to visit TI-Planet everyday during the entire duration of the contest, so that people don't have to wait several weeks before getting PM replies. Also the community is rather small right now so perhaps open the contest to a wider range of people (I think the other editions were restricted to students).

Another issue that happened with past TI-Concours is that the contest dragged on and on for way too long, often lasting half a year. This left little to no room for people to complete their other calculator projects and most other contests, eg Omnimaga and Cemetech contests, when there were any, ended up competing directly with TI-Concours. IMHO TI-Concours 2016 and 2017 should last less than 3 months.

Just my two cents.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

noelnadal

I replied in detail on the french topic in tiplanet.org, but basically there is no oral exam anymore, and I'm not as busy as before. Furthermore there will be only one qualification round.

Dream of Omnimaga

That's good then. I heard that a bunch of people did not participate to past contests just because of the oral part or simply stepped down once it arrived, which is a shame since those contests often have great entries.

I don't know if the next CW contest will be this fall or next spring but it will most likely last 1-2 months at most.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

noelnadal

Usually the TI-Concours starts in January. The planning is not made yet but assuming the qualification round lasts one month, plus two or three weeks for judgement, the final round should be held in the beginning of march. ;)

Dream of Omnimaga

THat seems like a good deal then. At least there is fewer risk of @Hayleia postponing Super Smash Bros Open for 15 months instead of 12 :P

JWinslow23

Oh, awesome! This is where the contest went! I was concerned it fell behind the fridge...you know, where you couldn't reach? For...about a year? :P

All jokes aside, I'd love to compete in the TI-BASIC z80 category. Anything to make me active again :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Without a contest you will never do calc stuff again? O.O :P

JWinslow23

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 30, 2015, 06:57:06 PM
Without a contest you will never do calc stuff again? O.O :P
No, I never said that. A contest just gives me more motivation to actually complete a project...and the best part is, I know exactly what the guidelines of the project ARE. :P

To be honest, though, I have the source files of a long-ignored project on my calc, and once I do some more graphics work, I'll start working hard on it again. ;)

Dream of Omnimaga

I was kidding. :P although some people really did that before O.O

noelnadal

Thank you for all the answers (nearly 30). The contest will surely begin on January 11th.