Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Zargul (TI-84+CE)

Started by JamesV, July 11, 2016, 06:47:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesV

Quote from: Unicorn on July 17, 2016, 01:25:38 AM
Are you planning to make this game as complicated as Eye of the beholder? Anyways, good luck!
Heh, I'm not really sure yet. Honestly I'm no expert on the original game, I've only played through the first two levels properly. But I like the concept and it's a style of game I've long thought about trying to make, so as I continue to develop it I'll also play the original EOTB more and decide what features I want to include.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I think the concern is that in a lot of those pseudo-3D RPGs, unlike in Final Fantasy and Zelda, you often get lost and run out of food or supply too fast, while in Final Fantasy, you usually know more where you are going and only have to worry about your HP. It of course depends for which difficulty level you are going for, though.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

JamesV

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on July 17, 2016, 03:12:08 PM
Yeah I think the concern is that in a lot of those pseudo-3D RPGs, unlike in Final Fantasy and Zelda, you often get lost and run out of food or supply too fast, while in Final Fantasy, you usually know more where you are going and only have to worry about your HP. It of course depends for which difficulty level you are going for, though.
I guess I want the game to not be too easy. But not hard just for the sake of being hard, either. So I'll be trying to find a nice balance.

I've added in alternating floor/ceiling/wall tiles, so things look less static now. Also put in the blank character panels back in :)

Unicorn

Looking very nice, though I have to say that the character boxes need some centering :P
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

novenary

Centering relative to what ?

Dream of Omnimaga

I think he means with the dungeon graphics area, probably by moving them down by a few pixels.

Something I wonder is if this game would look good zoomed in 2x and only zooming out during battles or when you need HUD access, for a greater screen area? The issue, though, is that the current dungeon screen is 176x120 rather than 160x120.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

What I'd do is move the HUD along the bottom of the screen to make the rendered area larger.

Dream of Omnimaga

Do you mean scrolling the HUD around? That could work actually.

JamesV

There is still more to go along the bottom of the screen that I haven't implemented yet. Below is a screenshot from the original PC version. There is also the possibility of recruiting up to an additional 2 party members, for a total of 6.

Dream of Omnimaga

Ooh that explains the empty gaps then. Also those graphics look awesome O.O. Do you plan to add that compass and the fancy background to your game too?

JamesV

The graphics are really cool in the original EOB, considering it was released in 1991! I actually spent a couple of hours playing the original tonight (first time I've used DOSBox in a while!) and it's quite complex; there are a lot of cool ideas that I'll be borrowing from it. I'll need to re-do my map engine to increase flexibility and design options, but it will make for a cool end product :)

I will definitely be adding the compass (I'm chopping up the graphics for that right now), and most likely will be doing some kind of cool background as well, possibly just using the EOB one.

Dream of Omnimaga

Nice to hear. I can't wait to see it in action. :3=