Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

To the moon

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, November 26, 2015, 08:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Anyone here played To the Moon? http://freebirdgames.com/to_the_moon/ It's a puzzle adventure game with no battle made with RPG Maker VX, and the story is not your usual save-the-world-against-dragons thing but I thought that the idea, concept and storyline was really well-made. Basically, it's the story of some doctors working for a company and they can create artificial memories and offer a service of "wish fullfillments" to people who are about to die (the service is illegal so they can't do it on people with lots of time left to live).

The story is kinda weird since it involves changing past memories of someone to things that didn't happen but I thought the idea was nice and resulted into lots of plot twists.

Anyway I would suggest that you play it if you don't mind drama-related stuff and if your PC can run RPG Maker VX engine. I believe the game is on Steam, but I don't know if that version is Linux-compatible like the one I got from Humble Bundle last year.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

p4nix

I'm pretty sure it's linux-compatible, iirc the only thing which prevent me from buying it a few months ago was the missing money. And I can't be sure if my computer handles it :P

I remember watching a small part from it in a Let's Play, but that's too long ago to remember something important in the storyline. I guess the pixelart looks amazing, and I also like the dream of manned space flight (although that's not really the game is about, afaik).

So, let's wait for some better times regarding money :P
  • Calculators owned: fx9860GII (SH4)

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I was surprised about Linux support. Wasn't RPG Maker Windows-only?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

*clicks on link in the OP*

Actually, they probably just use Wine. Many games make sure they work with Wine and bundles their game with it for the Linux version, like old games re-releases that get released with DOSBox.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh, I didn't know we could do that. I remember that 2003 didn't work well in Wine, but I could be wrong. IIRC it's just hit n miss. Of course, RPG Maker VX Ace is more recent, though. Also, this is nice to know, because one reason why I stopped using RPG Maker was the lack of Linux support (of course I would only use it for RPGs, I would rather use my own code for other game genres)