Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Portal NSpire

Started by LD Studios, January 02, 2015, 02:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LD Studios

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 23, 2015, 01:39:07 AM
Ooh, turrets sounds like a great idea. :D Make sure that they won't make the game too hard, though. :P
I'm going to make sure that when I do use turrets, there is some sort of puzzle to destroy them without having to charge right at them. In other words, you won't have to have intense bullet dodging skills to get past a level with them ;)

novenary

Oh wow that looks pretty great. Good luck for your beta release. :D

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: LD Studios on January 23, 2015, 01:41:12 AM
Ooh, turrets sounds like a great idea. :D Make sure that they won't make the game too hard, though. :P
I'm going to make sure that when I do use turrets, there is some sort of puzzle to destroy them without having to charge right at them. In other words, you won't have to have intense bullet dodging skills to get past a level with them ;)
ok phew I was worried with that screenshot! *.* There could be a Touhou-like level, though :P (as many turrets as the calc can handle without massive slowdowns.)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

LD Studios

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 23, 2015, 05:02:01 PM
Quote from: LD Studios on January 23, 2015, 01:41:12 AM
ok phew I was worried with that screenshot! *.* There could be a Touhou-like level, though :P (as many turrets as the calc can handle without massive slowdowns.)
Even in that screenshot, the turret isn't very difficult to get rid of, you can easily sneak behind it simply by placing a portal on the far wall. Also, turrets will probably be one of the less used game elements, I won't be putting them in every level :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh right, I forgot that in Portal we could get rid of turrets. :P

As for my Touhou/bullet-hell type level idea, it was more if you or someone else decided to create another level pack.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

LD Studios

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 24, 2015, 12:40:28 AM
Oh right, I forgot that in Portal we could get rid of turrets. :P

As for my Touhou/bullet-hell type level idea, it was more if you or someone else decided to create another level pack.
It actually shows me destroying the turret in the animated screenshot

Also: I added heating chambers, where the background slowly fades to red, until eventually, you die. (Almost like a time limit)

EDIT: Added a pause menu

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh nice I like the color change idea for those chambers :D The menu is also looking pretty nice. :)

LD Studios

About 40 days in and I'm starting to lose interest in this project  :-\
I'm not about to give up on it, but there's a good chance I won't release a level editor with the final release.
Maybe a few months after I drop this project I will gain interest again.
All that's left besides level editor is story, levels and achievements, I'm going to try to finish it as soon as possible.

Dream of Omnimaga

Sorry to hear. I hope you won't quit D:. Do you plan to release a version with many levels before putting it on hold?

LD Studios

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 27, 2015, 05:34:53 PM
Sorry to hear. I hope you won't quit D:. Do you plan to release a version with many levels before putting it on hold?
Yes, I plan to release a version with some 25-30 levels and a basic story line, as well as achievements and basic unlocks before putting this project on hold. I can't bring myself to give up on something I spent this much time on, without at least releasing a "complete" version of it (even if it doesn't have all the features I originally planned)

Dream of Omnimaga

Ok cool to hear. :)  I was worried lol because this looks so promising.

LD Studios

I tried to work on levels for this but I really can't bring myself to do it. I'm just so incredibly sick of this project, and it no longer interests me in the slightest. If someone wants to take over and make the levels, they can let me know and I'll send them the source and explain how to do it. A bit of lua is experience would probably be helpful, but it's fairly simple what is left to do. If no one is interested, maybe in a few months I can pick this up again.

Dream of Omnimaga

Sorry to hear D:. I hope it doean't mean that you are done with calcs, Omni (especially since you just became Coders of Tomorrow), Ceme, CodeWalrus. Do you still plan to stick around and to release this?

Strontium

Quote from: LD Studios on January 31, 2015, 10:18:56 PM
I tried to work on levels for this but I really can't bring myself to do it. I'm just so incredibly sick of this project, and it no longer interests me in the slightest. If someone wants to take over and make the levels, they can let me know and I'll send them the source and explain how to do it. A bit of lua is experience would probably be helpful, but it's fairly simple what is left to do. If no one is interested, maybe in a few months I can pick this up again.

I saw this project a while ago and was really looking forward to its release. As such, I'd be happy to make the levels.
  • Calculators owned: TI Nspire CX, HP Prime
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: NES

Dream of Omnimaga

Heya Strontium and welcome to the forums. It would be nice if this project was revived by someone. :)