Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Portal NSpire

Started by LD Studios, January 02, 2015, 02:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snektron

Yeah i know, but this is still something different :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

TheMachine02

I must say that this portal game looks definitly good. I'll most likely to download it when there will be a version available  :D

LD Studios

Quote from: T.Wang on January 18, 2015, 01:14:20 AM
Do you have the controls down yet? If so, what are they? Because aiming with the nspire trackpad and moving with the "arrow keys" don't work very well on nspires.
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 18, 2015, 02:03:41 AM
Aah I see now. By the way I can't wait for a demo. I hope Touchpad controls are responsive, but there's not much we can do with Nspire Basic and Lua I guess.
I've decided to set up the controls like this:
Universal
Arrow Keys: Move
Enter/Escape: Pause
Mouse: Shoot
Tab: Pick up cube
Control Option 1
Numpad: Alternative for moving
Control Option 2
Numpad: Alternative for shooting (like in portal prelude or cse)

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on January 18, 2015, 11:20:15 AM
i want to play it too, sadly i dont have a nspire or or CSE q.q. Although maybe i can convince one
of my class mates :). Also, is there going to be a background or will it stay black?
To prevent lag, the background will be a solid color, but I am debating about changing it from black. (There will also be a way to create custom tilesets, and set any background color)

Quote from: TheMachine02 on January 18, 2015, 03:55:32 PM
I must say that this portal game looks definitly good. I'll most likely to download it when there will be a version available  :D
I think I'll have a beta version ready soon!

Anyways, I added turrets, but right now the sprite is too detailed compared to the player and blocks which are almost half resolution. I think I'm going to create two graphics options, one that is more retro, with half res, and one that is more detailed. If someone can help making simple, low-res turret sprites, it would be greatly appreciated!

aetios

Not to spoil the fun here, but I think using the mouse for aiming is a bad idea as the touchpad is irresponsive as hell. I think you should use touchpad for movement and numpad for aiming. But hey, you make it and I'm looking forward to see what you make of it :D
ceci n'est pas une signature

CKH4

I'll try to make the turret but it might suck.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

LD Studios

Quote from: aeTIos on January 18, 2015, 06:44:10 PM
Not to spoil the fun here, but I think using the mouse for aiming is a bad idea as the touchpad is irresponsive as hell. I think you should use touchpad for movement and numpad for aiming. But hey, you make it and I'm looking forward to see what you make of it :D
You may have misread, I mentioned, that the mouse could be used for shooting, but you could set numpad as an alternative to shooting as well ;)

Quote from: CKH4 on January 18, 2015, 07:19:06 PM
Thanks, and good luck :)

aetios

Quote from: LD Studios on January 18, 2015, 07:45:48 PM
You may have misread, I mentioned, that the mouse could be used for shooting, but you could set numpad as an alternative to shooting as well ;)

Partially misread. I still think that the mouse should either be the only input option for portals or be scrapped for input entirely, because you get a lot more portal placement options when you have free aiming (I ran into this issue when I was replicating Portal X levels using the Portal 2 level creator)
ceci n'est pas une signature

LD Studios

Quote from: aeTIos on January 18, 2015, 08:09:17 PM
Quote from: LD Studios on January 18, 2015, 07:45:48 PM

Partially misread. I still think that the mouse should either be the only input option for portals or be scrapped for input entirely, because you get a lot more portal placement options when you have free aiming (I ran into this issue when I was replicating Portal X levels using the Portal 2 level creator)
I think I'll leave both controls in there, because I really enjoy the mouse, but I understand it can be annoying to use quickly. There will be the numpad if you want it, for a quick, more reliable method, but even if you use the numpad, the mouse will always be an option in case you need to make a more precise portal placement.

CKH4

I updated my signature, what do you think?

edit. I forgot to make the porltal wall thin.

LD Studios

Completely reworked the art!

Quote from: CKH4 on January 20, 2015, 01:49:28 AM
I updated my signature, what do you think?

edit. I forgot to make the porltal wall thin.
Now that I reworked the artstyle, it doesn't look much like the game anymore :P

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Heh I have an graphic idea : try to use the white outlined black characters of Portal 2's trailer as players! (Or the octopus in said trailers.)
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

Ooh I love the new art. It's closer to Portal style actually :D

Also I think this and the other portal game will most likely get a subforum :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

CKH4

Ok, I think I'll use your banner now. I really like the new style.

LD Studios

I made a lot of progress, the most noteable update: turrets!

(screen recorder is a bit laggy)

I will release a beta version fairly soon!

Dream of Omnimaga

Ooh, turrets sounds like a great idea. :D Make sure that they won't make the game too hard, though. :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U