Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

This is the Only Level CE

Started by Dudeman313, March 06, 2016, 03:12:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudeman313

This is my first project! I've started using the Portal Returns level editor to begin working on This Is the Only Level CE while @JWinslow23 works on This is the Only Level 84+.
With a lot of help from @MateoConLechuga and pretty much everyone else, I can make this happen, and learn on the way. Maybe if I ever finish, I could use Portal CE's engine to port Axio Man...
Here's my progress so far: I have nearly proportionally recreated stage one from the original game. Because there is no scrolling in Portal Returns, the stage is separated into two levels. I had to substitute many things. Where vertical wall spikes and upside-down spike tiles should be are the red death fields, and where the entry/exit tube is there is just either empty space or a blue field. I put in a blue field where the green door would be, and three red buttons where there should be one large red button.
I have changed the jump height to about the same height as the game, which is about 20px high in Portal CE.
Tell me what you think, how I should start to go about this, and if this is worth taking on.
I also made sure you can't portal cheat. :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Interesting. I'Ll give this level pack a try. I am curious about how different it is from the real game.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

It's not too different, I resized everything from jumps to blocks proportionally; this is what I would base the real project off of when I get to the coding part.
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

By coding part (assuming this is still being worked on), I assume you mean you plan to re-use the Portal engine and modify it for your needs rather than making the game a level pack? I'm not sure about how Portal level data works.

Also I sadly didn't have time to try your level pack D:
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

Well, I was, but now I no longer own a CE.  :'(
The answer is "Sure."