Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

What headphones/earphones do you own?

Started by Araidia, December 16, 2015, 04:24:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SiphonicSugar

I use some Sony ones, pretty good sound for $20....
  • Calculators owned: TI-89, TI-84 Plus, TI-92, TI-84 Plus C SE, and TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad
I'm just trying to grab some inspiration. :P

c4ooo

I would never imaging spending money to by head phones that are slightly better then normal  :( Seems like a fad to me :P

novenary

Very expensive headphones aren't just slightly better, but you have to be an audiophile to justify buying a pair. :P

Travis

The Bose/Sennheiser were the first ~$100 headphones I had, but for me, there was quite a difference over cheaper ones. I was surprised to discover that I no longer really needed any equalization with them (though I still use a slight amount especially when listening to chiptunes or music using a lot of square waves because my ears seem slightly over-sensitive to certain mid-range frequencies). But they have to last a reasonable amount of time for that to be worthwhile, and the Bose completely failed in that regard, while the Sennheiser have been pretty good.

I don't know if anything over that price, though, would be generally worthwhile. I doubt I could tell any more difference, personally. I'd expect my own hearing to be the limiting factor.
  • Calculators owned: TI-81, TI-82, TI-85, TI-86, TI-89, TI-89 Titanium, 2 × HP 50g

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Streetwalrus on January 13, 2016, 12:16:25 AM
Very expensive headphones aren't just slightly better, but you have to be an audiophile to justify buying a pair. :P
To me, it seems like headphones became like clothing fashion or Apple. People will buy certain brands just to look in or because they think they're better. While it's true that they're better, I agree with you that if you are just a regular music listener then you're better off with cheaper pairs. The issue is that a decade ago, we already had high quality headphones, with the only difference being that they were twice larger than today's quality headphones (remember those abysmally huge headphones people weared when you were kid?). However, back then those headphones costed about $100. You could easily get a good but not high-end headset for $25 in overpriced Canadian electronic stores. Nowadays you can still get decent headphones for that price, but they're so uncomfortable that you'll end up with an headache or stiff neck. Anything good will cost you in the three digits.

And spending $200 won't solve the durability issue most of the time. In my case, I'll never spend more than $50 for headphones and even then, they will have to be comfortable. Regarding sound quality, I found out with the time that when I switch headphones, I usually slowly get used to the different sound.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

c4ooo

If your listening to rock / metal, i recommend you by an amplifier and blast that c across your whole neighborhood.
* c4ooo runs (sorry for swearing :P )

semiprocoder

Personally, I prefer to think about headphones this way:
When you get a better pair, you notice a pretty nice difference for a few days, then you get used to the sound and forget it was ever different.
When using a worse pair, you again notice how they are not as good for a few days, then you get used to the sound and forget it was ever different.
  • Calculators owned: ti nspire, ti 84 plus se
My cemetech username is awesommee333.

Yuki

Word. Although my brother got himself some Turtle Beach headphones and they sounds quite good.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: c4ooo on January 13, 2016, 01:03:04 AM
If your listening to rock / metal, i recommend you by an amplifier and blast that c across your whole neighborhood.
* c4ooo runs (sorry for swearing :P )
Lol I wish, but I don't want to get kicked out of my appartment. :P But some music sounds better (although not as clear) with quality speakers.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

This headset I got for christmas has better sound than my old sony's and my earpods. But yeah, I would never spend more than 30 - 40 on headphones. My sony's were $17 and do fine. They even lasted a soup bath ;P
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Caleb Hansberry

For the computer I use a Logitech set I got for about $5 from a thrift store. They're USB and include a microphone. But their foam is very hard and they're on-ear, so they smash one's ears something awful. The sound quality is actually about as good as one can get from on-ears, but because they smash one's ears so much they are quite painful to use for over an hour.

For the phone I use basic OEM Samsung in-ear earbuds. I actually recommend them very, very highly! The quality, both build and audio, is very high, rubber tangle-free cord, comes with extra rubber things for in ones ear, has a in-cord audio control that is very handy, and on top of all that are dirt cheap! $3 in america and $5 worldwide on eBay. www.ebay.com/itm/281907695364

But for the computer someday I want to get some classic old-style over-ear Sonys.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+SE, TI-84+SE, TI-85, TI-89, TI-99/4A
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: HP Portable Plus 110, Toshiba T3100, Toshiba T5200, GRiD 1660, TI-99/4A, Apple IIgs, and much more than I can list here

Yuki

Turtle Beach PX24. It was pretty cheap at EBGames and it's pretty good, you can get good ones for like $50-60, anything higher might probably be overkill and might be considered buying it for the brand.

Otherwise, I have some Logitech Bluetooth headphones, it does the job. When Bluetooth is available, that is.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

c4ooo

Up the irons!
http://www.maidenaudio.com
Apparently Iron maiden is now making headphones. If you have money to waste and like IM, the link is above :P
* c4ooo runs
* c4ooo will not be temped and continue using crappy headphones.

gogogoluke

Expensive. For that price, I'd rather spend $14 more and get some Sennheiser Urbanite XL Wireless headphones.
  • Calculators owned: HP Prime, TI-84CSE
HP Prime, TI-84+CSE
Former Minecraft server owner
HP Prime enthusiast.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: c4ooo on January 14, 2016, 03:26:44 AM
Up the irons!
http://www.maidenaudio.com
Apparently Iron maiden is now making headphones. If you have money to waste and like IM, the link is above :P
* c4ooo runs
* c4ooo will not be temped and continue using crappy headphones.
Those look cool, especially from a Maiden fan perspective, but with headphones being so expensive and theirs being even more, I would rather spend on something cheaper or go with higher quality.

By the way, my Sony headphones are so old and worn down now that the leather-like thing on the cushions is entirely gone now. It started peeling off last year  or so and it was annoying since it would get stuck on my ears without me noticing. BUt now it's just like regular headphones and more comfortable. On the other hand, the plug has almost stopped working long ago so I can't really move the cord around, since it causes the left ear to stop working. I just didn't replace them because they still work fine otherwise and I know that new headphones will do the same within three months of use.