Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Zampy's Quest [Walrii Contest][HP Prime][HP PPL]

Started by alexgt, December 09, 2015, 08:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Do you plan to post screenshots soon? Also I hope it doesn't die like Nagoji 20x15 <.<
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

alexgt

Here is a video of the progress so far ;) I have the block collision done way ahead of schedule O.O. The bug you see when Zampy jumps under a block is only present on the Emulator version on calc it is fine :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GkbxffI_M0
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

alexgt

Update: Movement, gravity, and jumping is very smooth. when I get home I am going to back it up and start with side scrolling.

Dream of Omnimaga

I missed this but now I saw the vid and awesome work. What I was wondering is if the graphics would look similar to the Minecraft HP Prime screen you did. :P

Will you use both walking frames by the way? Also which collision method do you use?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

alexgt

The amount of tiles on screen are the same as MinePrime and movement is kinda the same but the camera does not move up/down when the player jumps it only moves when player goes left/right. I will make a new vid showcasing the better gravity and collision. And yep I will have the walking animation and correct Zampy's orientation when moving left/right, I think I can make it display animated enemies too without making too much lag ;). Since I am using an App I can have as many levels (just a big matrix with values as blocks) as I want in the Archive not taking up RAM and I just load the level I want into a var and use that for collision. But unlike MinePrime (I will change MinePrime to work like this later) Zampy's quest lets you be anywhere in the world and not stuck with moving block by block so it is really smooth to play ;).

Right now I am working on jump smashing blocks Zampy, SMASH!!!  (-_(//));

Dream of Omnimaga

Awesome. I was actually curious about movement. While it works well for a sandbox game for editing the world, tile by tile movement could be akward for a platform game.

semiprocoder

Wait that's tile by tile?
I thought this was smooth, cause it looks pretty good. Even if is tile by tile I think that the tiles are fast enough to make it so you don't really need to make movement not tile by tile.
  • Calculators owned: ti nspire, ti 84 plus se
My cemetech username is awesommee333.

Dream of Omnimaga

By tile by tile, he meant that tapping the left arrow will gradually move the character 16 pixels to the left, for example, rather than 1. Thus, it's more akward to jump around since you can't stand between two tiles.

alexgt

here is an example @semiprocoder

You can notice here that the character is always centered over the block while in zampy's quest he moves incrementally over blocks.

semiprocoder

All right I see now. Good to know that you made it differently in this game. Also have you made any additions to this game yet?

Sidenote: Will the walrus change into iron walrii as the game goes on? Cause that would be awesome.
  • Calculators owned: ti nspire, ti 84 plus se
My cemetech username is awesommee333.

Dream of Omnimaga

Maybe it could be some sort of armor power-up where you are invicible for a certain period of time?

kegwaan

If there are going to be NPCs in this game, then the iron walrii should be one of them, as a sort of Easter egg/reference.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ CSE
"If it's stupid and it works, it's not stupid."

alexgt

Quote from: semiprocoder on December 29, 2015, 08:22:30 PM
All right I see now. Good to know that you made it differently in this game. Also have you made any additions to this game yet?

Sidenote: Will the walrus change into iron walrii as the game goes on? Cause that would be awesome.
That is a really good idea O.O you could get different powers from different parts and stuff but it would use energy...

Quote from: kegwaan on December 30, 2015, 10:06:25 PM
If there are going to be NPCs in this game, then the iron walrii should be one of them, as a sort of Easter egg/reference.
I was planing on making a few references to CW (ok allot :P)

Dream of Omnimaga

Just as long as you don't spam rickrolls inside the game <_<

Anyway what have you added so far since the last update?

alexgt

Nope, no rickrolls :trollface:

But as far as updates I have ruled out some movement bugs, but now I think I will start on enemies. Their AI will be minimal, kinda like gombas as not to create much lag xD