Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Cemetech contest #14

Started by Ivoah, November 21, 2015, 09:38:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivoah

(cross-posted from https://www.cemetech.net/news.php?id=768)

Quote from: Cemetech
After a long hiatus from contests, Cemetech is holding Cemetech Contest 14 in cooperation with members jonbush and earthnite. This short contest challenges TI-BASIC programmers to program an AI for the well-known Connect 4 game. Entries will be judged on the speed and accuracy of their AIs. Jonbush and earthnite originally conceived of this contest while making a Connect 4 game of their own, and the winning entry will in fact be incorporated into the game as the official AI. They drew up a thorough set of rules, guidelines, and resources that entrants should read before beginning their entries. The Connect 4 AIs submitted to the contest must use specific variables for input and output, consist of no more than 2KB of TI-BASIC code and three subprograms, and may not take any additional user input while they compute the next move.

We're excited to be working with jonbush and earthnite to hold this contest. Thanks to an automated grading script designed by jonbush, the results will have a much faster turnaround than most contests: the final deadline is December 5th, 2015 at 11:59:59pm ET, and results will be posted here on Cemetech the next day. For full guidelines and rules, do check the contest website, and remember to post in the attached Cemetech topic if you are entering. Unlike other Cemetech contests, no dedicated per-entry topic is required. The summarized details:

• Contest duration: November 16, 2015 to December 5, 2015 at 11:59:59pm ET
  • Topic: Connect 4 AIs
  • Prizes: Currently, community prestige and special Cemetech Award swag for your Cemetech profile. Other prizes may be offered depending on the number of entries and the availability of prizes.
  • Rules: You must post in the contest topic indicating that you're entering the contest. Entries must be received by the deadline, or they will be disqualified. You cannot ask for help with or post code anywhere, including Cemetech or elsewhere. You can ask for general help with multi-purpose algorithms, as long as your TI-BASIC code is not involved in the discussion.

Best of luck to all the entrants, and we can't wait to see the clever solutions people create.

• Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

Dream of Omnimaga

That was an interesting way to start a contest. I'm glad this revived them. I doubt I will participate since it doesn't involve making a JRPG (:P) but good luck to all participants. :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Ivoah

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 21, 2015, 11:07:08 PM
That was an interesting way to start a contest. I'm glad this revived them. I doubt I will participate since it doesn't involve making a JRPG (:P) but good luck to all participants. :)

I probably won't enter either, due to it being locked to TI-BASIC. I prefer Nspire Lua.
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

Unicorn

neither will I. I'm not great at creating AIs or automated processes.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Now if only Nitacku was still around... he would win hands-down. He was extremely good at AI. :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U