Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

CWick Contest #2: 1-bit music [Houston Tracker 2][1-bit][chiptune]

Started by Yuki, October 10, 2015, 05:26:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuki

Hey guys, time for another contest! But first, the winners of the first one:

Judging:
@Ivoah: 93
@SJCubed: 93
@utz: 90
@brentmaas: 78
The details of the judging process are here, if you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

Votes:
@Ivoah: 3 (50%)
@SJCubed: 2 (33%)
@utz: 1 (17%)
@brentmaas: 0 (0%)

After having crunched all the numbers together, the following members wins these amount of walriipoints, which gets added to their profile:
@Ivoah: 100
@SJCubed: 75
@utz: 50
@brentmaas: 25

Congratulations everyone!

Now for the main event, why not a music contest, for a change? Here at the CWick contests we figured we should follow program releases with mini-contests and allow for variety, so it could be anything, really, not just programming. @utz recently released his Houston Tracker 2 and we figured it would be interesting to have a contest about that.

So this contest's goal is to make a song using HT2, it can be a cover or an original and you have a week to do so, more specifically until next Friday 23:59:59 EDT (or in Europe time, 05:59:59). Send me your save file (as in, as it is now, the whole program with the song in it) in pm or by email at [email protected] by this date and you'll have chances to win a few walriipoints! Of course, the song should have been started after this contest was announced, should be released after the contest ends (not before!) and mostly all the usual and common sense rules applies. (If anything, just ask here, as usual.) Judging starts after the contest ends and should run for another week.

Have fun!
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Ivoah

Yay, thanks for the votes guys! I'l try to make something for this contest, but I'm not very musically inclined...
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

Dream of Omnimaga

(Note: I am not entering "One Axe to Save us all", since I am staff and wanted to leave more chances to others :P)

I think it's a nice idea to add variety to the contests instead of just doing the same thing over and over, and since HT2 just came out it's a nice opportunity to try it and do some cool chiptune music with it. :walrii:

Congrats Ivoah :D
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 10, 2015, 05:31:43 AM
(Note: I am not entering "One Axe to Save us all", since I am staff and wanted to leave more chances to others :P)
Quote from: Juju on October 10, 2015, 05:26:08 AM
the song should have been started after this contest was announced, should be released after the contest ends
Note that you could be eligible anyway, unless you're involved in any way with the contest, which I pretty much run alone. You would not be eligible for the regular ones, though.

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 10, 2015, 05:31:43 AM
I think it's a nice idea to add variety to the contests instead of just doing the same thing over and over, and since HT2 just came out it's a nice opportunity to try it and do some cool chiptune music with it. :walrii:
Yeah, the next one could easily be an art contest as well. Variety and trying out recently released stuff are the words here.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

c4ooo

Can the deadline be extended to give ppl like me (who never made music with a sequencer before) a better chance? I am still working on my own sequencer, one specifically customized for my needs and wants.

Yuki

Quote from: c4ooo on October 10, 2015, 08:16:57 PM
Can the deadline be extended to give ppl like me (who never made music with a sequencer before) a better chance? I am still working on my own sequencer, one specifically customized for my needs and wants.
I'm afraid not. That's the point of the contest, I want to see what you guys can do in less than a week. One tip I can give you is to follow the tutorial that comes with HT2, then you'll track music like a pro :)

I also remind you that you don't have to make something fancy, either. It's kind of easy to overshoot and think of something big when something actually pretty simple would do the job. (That's the point of the contest too, although I sometimes think I undershoot with this advice... And then I get surprised it's not the case.)
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I had no clue what I was doing at first, then I quickly learned from the readme tutorial. Songs don't have to be long and I assume that covers/remakes of game music or my own songs are accepted, right?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

c4ooo

Then i guess you wont mind if i just send a video of me playing music on a calc real time? The most shore way for me to make some good music is to record myself playin a program i wrote that makes a sound based on which key you press.

Dream of Omnimaga

Unfortunately for you, this contest only allows Houstontracker 2 tracks, from what I could gather.

utz

Wow, this is so cool! Thanks for putting this together @Juju! I'll try to lure some more people here by announcing this on a few other places.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+, TI-85, TI-86, TI-92+, Sharp PC-1403

Yuki

You're welcome, feel free to do so :)
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

I agree with that move :), I wonder if this could get some people more interested in calculators too, especially older models? I know that @CVSoft is a very huge fan of the TI-82 but he rarely posts on CodeWalrus (he mostly goes to TI-Planet) since barely anyone here has a TI-81 or 82 and he isn't interested in newer calcs much.

CVSoft

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 11, 2015, 06:53:02 PM
I agree with that move :), I wonder if this could get some people more interested in calculators too, especially older models? I know that @CVSoft is a very huge fan of the TI-82 but he rarely posts on CodeWalrus (he mostly goes to TI-Planet) since barely anyone here has a TI-81 or 82 and he isn't interested in newer calcs much.
I'm certainly an exception in the community, as most people get involved because they have a TI-83 Plus or higher model. However, having tools available for TI-73/TI-82/TI-85 users means they aren't pressured to buy another calculator, since that would make their original purchase of a graphing calculator a waste of money for the purposes of this community.
  • Calculators owned: TI-73, TI-81, TI-81, TI-81, TI-81, TI-81, TI-81, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-83, TI-83, TI-83 Plus, TI-84 Plus, TI-85, TI-86, TI-89 Titanium

Dream of Omnimaga

I think that programs for those models are still welcome in the community. While they won't be much popular, people will still download it if they have the calcs, plus those calcs might be more attractive towards the vintage computer enthusiasts.

garvalf

participation sent! (by email)

• Calculators owned: TI-83+ fr, TI-82
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: c64, zx spectrum, atari st, sega megadrive, sega master system, nintendo NES, gameboy...