Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

CWick Contest #1: 140 characters

Started by Yuki, September 24, 2015, 04:39:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which entry is your favourite?

brentmaas
0 (0%)
Ivoah
3 (50%)
SJCubed
2 (33.3%)
utz
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: October 10, 2015, 08:07:26 PM

brentmaas

I'm so sorry you had to try and fix mine for half an hour xD. Works perfectly on Windows 10 cmd.exe, though.
Lel I glitched Omni

Dream of Omnimaga

By the way juju wouldn't it have been better to wait until voting is completed before publishing the judging results, as to not influence any voter?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

utz

Yeah, Ivoah's "interactive sine" thing is pretty cool.

@Juju: Regarding my entry: 1) I sent the corrected zip that included the music.asm and a longer version of the song well before the deadline. Why you chose not to use it is a mystery to me. 2) The emulator you use does note emulate sound properly.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+, TI-85, TI-86, TI-92+, Sharp PC-1403

Dream of Omnimaga

By the way, is iv.bat supposed to say "Invalid for COntest. Press any key to continue", then exit?

@utz I think it's because juju judged entries based on the 140 chars or byte versions, in order to be fair for everyone. Also your entry works perfectly in Wabbitemu. It's really awesome by the way and I am surprised that it fits under 140 bytes :D. @Ivoah entry is not bad either for the size and @SJCubed entry as well, although there is a small delay to get used to when pressing a key.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Ivoah

Quote from: utz on October 06, 2015, 12:33:40 AM
Yeah, Ivoah's "interactive sine" thing is pretty cool.

I got the inspiration from Mario Maker, after you end a level it shows a blue wave thing on a yellow background. I initially made it in Processing before the contest was even announced, and began to port it to PICO-8. When the contest was announced, I figured it'd be the perfect thing to enter.
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

Dream of Omnimaga

Ooh I see. I couldn't find a picture of what you mean. I'll have to check some SMM videos I guess. Also I wonder if your entry could be expanded into a Tunnel game?

Yuki

Quote from: utz on October 06, 2015, 12:33:40 AM
@Juju: Regarding my entry: 1) I sent the corrected zip that included the music.asm and a longer version of the song well before the deadline. Why you chose not to use it is a mystery to me. 2) The emulator you use does note emulate sound properly.
It is a mystery to me as well. I probably took the wrong one in my folders? If so, I'm sorry.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

In any case, what you got is my favorite entry :P (although none of the TI entry seemed to be exactly 140 bytes? Or was the ASM entry calculated from its code without the header?)

utz

@Juju: I'm very sorry, I just saw that I did indeed give you the wrong file the second time around. Well, that's what I get for hacking something together in two hours while trying to pack my stuff for a trip to Berlin at the same time... The "correct" version is here, if anybody is interested: http://irrlichtproject.de/transfer/tinytune.zip

@DJ Omnimaga: Yes, the rules said asm entries are calculated w/o header. So my entry (updated version) would be 139 bytes.

In general, I think we all still need to practise this size-coding stuff a bit. Here are a couple of recent size coding prods:

Sun Road by Baudsurfer - 128 byte MS-DOS intro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wiLB-jONfg

arabeske64 by HellMood - cellular automaton algorithm in 55 bytes (MS-DOS, too)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qw6hVycIxU

If you're interested in this kind of stuff, read my blog, I frequently post this kind of prods.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+, TI-85, TI-86, TI-92+, Sharp PC-1403

Yuki

Heh, so it wasn't me after all. I downloaded the zip right before making my live stream, but still, the old version I tested in it was pretty impressive, if you say you added even more music without adding to the file size that's even more impressive. I will probably test the new version in a future stream, stay tuned :)

And yeah, that was kinda the point of the contest, I knew people can do pretty impressive stuff with ridiculously low file sizes, that was always something that interested me and I wanted to test you guys about that. The videos @utz linked are exactly some examples of what I expected. People were kind of confused at first, but it seems we got some pretty good ones in the contest anyway.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

What I wanted to try is make an RPG under 1000 bytes in BASIC.

p4nix

http://www.elitehomepage.org/text/index.htm this sourcecode might interest you, I guess it could be used for fancy name generation, depending on which type of rpg you want... But maybe it's not suitable at all. But I'm always impressed by Elite, that's why I always try to advertise it :P
  • Calculators owned: fx9860GII (SH4)

Dream of Omnimaga

I was thinking more on the scale of the TI-81 remake of Illusiat, except with Input instead of an actual map engine. Input with no argument lets you move a cursor around the graph screen then pressing enter returns the coordinates. In other words, you have a character walking around in just 1 byte. :P

Yuki

The winner(s) will be announced soon, with the announcement of another fun contest! Don't forget to vote, I give you until Friday! Do you like this rate of a week-long contest every 2 weeks or it should be longer?
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

You should maybe start the contest near the end of the month. IIRC that is when community things pick up again (although they kinda started now). It should not be a regular rate, because as soon as you will get busy it will be too much work, plus people might get bored of the contests.

I have an idea for a CWick contest, but it would not involve writing a program.