Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

CWick Contest #1: 140 characters

Started by Yuki, September 24, 2015, 04:39:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which entry is your favourite?

brentmaas
0 (0%)
Ivoah
3 (50%)
SJCubed
2 (33.3%)
utz
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: October 10, 2015, 08:07:26 PM

Yuki

Introducing a new series of contests: CWick Contests! (Pronounced like "quick", but with a CW pun. Everyone like puns.) It's much like the Code Golfs we used to do on Omnimaga, as in, the tasks asked should be simple to do, perhaps done in a few hours and you have a week to do so, but it's not a specific task with defined input/outputs you have to make in the least bytes possible, it's more your usual contest/game jam/puzzle where the best one wins. So, each week or so, I come up with a topic, puzzle or constraint and you have to make the best one within a week. You'll be rated and you can win WalriiPoints according to it, which will be shown in your profile. Sounds good enough? Maybe actual prizes will be related to them in the future? Who knows?

This week, I'd go with the most vague topic ever: program anything fun. But there's a constraint: you should be able to send it on Twitter. 140 characters or less, or if you're on a calc, the source should be 140 bytes without the header. You can make anything, a demo, a game, but it should be entertaining. Every language I can run is accepted, but calc languages are evidently advantaged (for obvious reasons). PM me the source to your entries or email them to contest @ codewalr.us (with your username, of course, subject line mentioning the name and number of the contest and a readme) by next Thursday at midnight EDT, have fun! Of course, you should be a member of CodeWalrus so you can claim your prize :P

The rating will go as well (adapted from the last 4x3 contest, may change anytime):

Spoiler

*(20 pts) Originality: Is it just another tic-tac-toe clone that looks exactly like the 100 other ones in ticalc.org archives?
*(20 pts) Creativity: How you managed to cram something into the constraints? Was your choice reasonable? Did you used a clever trick?
*(20 pts) Fun: Is it fun? Would you play it again in the future?
*(20 pts) Size, speed, installing & bugs: Is the file size reasonable for what it offers? Does it looks like it's above the constraints? Does it actually respects them? Is it too slow? Is installation easy? Is it bug-ridden?
*(10 pts) Gameplay: How well does it plays? Are controls well-chosen, if any? Is it too slow to be playable?
*(10 pts) Graphics: How well it is shown under such constraints? Does it look well-polished?
[close]

And if you have ideas for a future quick contest, if you have a suggestion, or if there's anything not clear, please PM or email me about it :P

(EDIT: Changed name of the contest for DJ's pun, I like it :P)

EDIT2: More rules! You can't release the source before the contest ends, it's preferable to keep all the 140 bytes in the same file (no cheats and workarounds!), yes, 140 bytes is the source size (bonus if you keep the compiled program under 140 bytes too!), unless you go with PICO-8 (or any tokenized language like 83+ BASIC/Axe), then it's 140 tokens. Anyway, I should be able to figure out how to compile your program with only your 140-byte source file alone and the knowledge of the standard libraries used (if you provide a makefile or something like that it isn't counted, but don't abuse compiler options or putting additional stuff in libraries). I may or may not run the source through a number of tests, such as compiling it and executing it, but also checking the algorithm and running it through various alternatives compilers and interpreters, if any, or just generally messing with it.

EDIT3: Vote! The entries are here!
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Ivoah

Awesome! I really like the idea of mini contests. If I make a computer program, does the source need to be <= 140 bytes or the compiled program?
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

Yuki

Quote from: Ivoah on September 24, 2015, 05:39:49 AM
Awesome! I really like the idea of mini contests. If I make a computer program, does the source need to be <= 140 bytes or the compiled program?
The source. Always the source. Bonus if the compiled program is less than 140 bytes as well.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

For TI-BASIC, would ClrHome count as 1 character or would it count as 7? Also, how does one make a game in 140 characters of code? :P In any case, I am interested to see what people will come up with. :)

Regarding Walrii Points, there isn't really a viable SMF Award/achievements mod, though. There is this but that might not be compatible. So maybe for now Walrii Points should be displayed in a topic?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 24, 2015, 06:16:21 AM
For TI-BASIC, would ClrHome count as 1 character or would it count as 7?
It's counted in bytes, so ClrHome would be one or two.

For the Walrii points, it should be easy to make an SMF mod to keep track of them. Or just add a custom field to the profile and only let admins edit it.

Ivoah

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 24, 2015, 06:16:21 AMAlso, how does one make a game in 140 characters of code? :P In any case, I am interested to see what people will come up with. :)

Does it have to necessarily be a game?
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

novenary

It has to be "something fun". That's a pretty wide subject, and games are only a subset of it.

brentmaas

How many entries per user are allowed?
Lel I glitched Omni

Ivoah

Quote from: Streetwalrus on September 24, 2015, 12:27:21 PM
It has to be "something fun". That's a pretty wide subject, and games are only a subset of it.

Cool, that's what I thought.

novenary

Quote from: brentmaas on September 24, 2015, 02:40:10 PM
I suppose one, I'm not really sure of anything. :P

Ivoah

Can we submit our entries via twitter? :P

Yuki

Quote from: Streetwalrus on September 24, 2015, 11:06:20 AM
Or just add a custom field to the profile and only let admins edit it.
That's exactly what I did. Look at my profile, for instance.

Quote from: Streetwalrus on September 24, 2015, 02:55:42 PM
Quote from: brentmaas on September 24, 2015, 02:40:10 PM
I suppose one, I'm not really sure of anything. :P
I dunno, I guess you can always send more than one, but it's not recommended. No more than two or three, at least.

Quote from: Ivoah on September 24, 2015, 03:03:15 PM
Can we submit our entries via twitter? :P
Of course, send your entry to user @CodeWalr_us.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Unicorn

Great contest idea! The hard part will be figuring out what to do :P

Oh yeah, are the rules the same as the 4x23 contest? Do we need a topic?
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Yuki

Quote from: Unicorn on September 24, 2015, 04:34:22 PM
Oh yeah, are the rules the same as the 4x23 contest? Do we need a topic?
The rules areb largely inspired from the 4x3 contest, but you don't have to make a topic, although it's recommended.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Snektron

Oh cool idea :). I'll see what i can come up with
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...