Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

microcat - The ultimative ARM based handheld game console

Started by DarkestEx, August 09, 2015, 09:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 28, 2015, 06:06:16 AM
Ok phew, will the SD card still be formatable afterwards ir useless for any use?

Also I forgot: What is the max SD card size allowed?  And what about SDHC?
Maximum supported SD card size will be 32 GB. SDHC will absolutely be supported.
The SD card is normally always reformattable but you can destroy files on it.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah ok good, I was worried because it seemed like SDHC was slowly replacing SD so it would have sucked if the console only supported a format that could be discontinued in a few years. And if it only supported SD or micro-SD cards up to 1 GB like some phones then it would be problematic for large games with audio.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U
Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 28, 2015, 05:29:51 PM
Ah ok good, I was worried because it seemed like SDHC was slowly replacing SD so it would have sucked if the console only supported a format that could be discontinued in a few years. And if it only supported SD or micro-SD cards up to 1 GB like some phones then it would be problematic for large games with audio.
Well sure we want to keep it compatible and support SDHC but I really doubt that a normal user will fill even 250 MB of their SD card with actual games or their data.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

I was more wondering if some games had particularly elaborate audio. I know that music will be compressed and stuff but if for example 20 games have 30 minutes of OST each and 250 KB of code, wouldn't that add up fast? I would be fine with just 1 GB, though.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 28, 2015, 05:53:55 PM
I was more wondering if some games had particularly elaborate audio. I know that music will be compressed and stuff but if for example 20 games have 30 minutes of OST each and 250 KB of code, wouldn't that add up fast? I would be fine with just 1 GB, though.
Sure it could add up, but first, I was thinking about going to simple chiptune audio even though the processor does support outputting CD quality audio (16 bit) which would reduce the size drastically.
Also IMO 1GB is more than enough.

DarkestEx

Awesome news!

Hardware recognition finally works in the BIOS!
We can now determine RAM size and configuration at run time.

Max Leiter

Quote from: DarkestEx on October 28, 2015, 06:39:23 PM
Awesome news!

Looks awesome! Did you ever decide what size to make the stack?

DarkestEx

Quote from: Max Leiter on October 28, 2015, 06:40:27 PM
Quote from: DarkestEx on October 28, 2015, 06:39:23 PM
Awesome news!

Looks awesome! Did you ever decide what size to make the stack?
Well as I will have two stacks (one tiny for the BIOS and a larger one for the OS), the BIOS stack is 750 bytes right now. I might increase it if necessary in the future.

Snektron

Whoa that looks awesome :D Nice job!
its really shaping up :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

DarkestEx

Here is the image of my setup and the new bootloader layout:

Dream of Omnimaga

Looks very good, I can't wait to see it with the game pad and command input in action  :)

DarkestEx

Controls are not too hard and should be done soon.
First I will get the BIOS done, which is quite a bit of work.

Here is a new high resolution gallery of the latest setup and BIOS layout:
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Dream of Omnimaga

THanks for the pics :) Also good to hear. I hope the screen was not damaged too much by the sparking you mentioned earlier on IRC. Could you clarify about what might have caused the sparking? I was unsure if I understood on IRC.

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 28, 2015, 10:18:21 PM
THanks for the pics :) Also good to hear. I hope the screen was not damaged too much by the sparking you mentioned earlier on IRC. Could you clarify about what might have caused the sparking? I was unsure if I understood on IRC.
Well I have a wool carpet in my room and I had socks on. When I came back getting some parts, the action of walking over the carpet had generated an electrostatic charge inside me. When I grabbed the oled to move it out of the way, the charge arced over to the oled's frame.
A few minutes later the oled went black and I was not able to turn it back on. While I was searching for a new oled, about half an hour after it went black, the oled suddenly started to live again.

Attached are the new icons that we added to the BIOS. They can be all used inside the BIOS or in applications that make use of the BIOSes routines.

Also this are the icons in action:

Edit: Some fixes and a layout change: