Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

1-Bit Music Competition 2015

Started by utz, July 12, 2015, 08:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

utz

Hello everyone,

As some of you may know, I'm into 1-bit music. Well, long story short, our old 1-Bit/Beeper Music Forum recently went down, and we had to start over from scratch. So in order to get things rolling again, we've thought up a little something...

Without further ado, I'd like to invite you all to participate in the 1-Bit Forum Music Competition 2015. There are several different music categories (including one where you can submit calculator music, of course), as well as a "code" category. So, hope to hear some classy AudaciTI/CalcMod/QuadPlayer tunes from you ;)

Please see all the details at http://randomflux.info/1bit/viewtopic.php?id=19

Cheers,
-utz
  • Calculators owned: TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+, TI-85, TI-86, TI-92+, Sharp PC-1403

Dream of Omnimaga

Ouch, sorry to hear about your forums. :( Didn't you have any backups or caches? Because sometimes we can retrieve data from Google/archive.org before it's too late.

Anyway I'll see if I can do something, although chances are slim that I do it since I only made 8 bits and 32 bit music before >.<
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

alexgt

That sounds interesting, I might participate but don't expect anything good :P
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Unicorn

Ooo I hope your forum gets back up and running, I might participate, but I am no musical genius. :P
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

utz

Yeah, please do join even if you don't feel like the next Mozart ;) And if you absolutely don't feel like making music, you could also code a new multi-channel player for Z80/68k TI. Think I'll post a tutorial on 1-bit routine coding over at the 1bit forum soon.

@DJ Omnimaga: Unfortunately it was too late for retrieving the data. Which is really a pity cause we had tons of tutorials, code snippets, historical research etc. on there. Well, I haven't given up hope completely: there might still be a backup copy of the db floating around on some server that we can't access atm, so maybe one day we'll be able to retrieve that. Chances of that happening any time soon are low, unfortunately.

Dream of Omnimaga

Question: what was the previous URL of your site? I checked archive.org and couldn't find anything relevant.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Strontium

Quote from: utz on July 13, 2015, 04:22:42 PM
Yeah, please do join even if you don't feel like the next Mozart ;) And if you absolutely don't feel like making music, you could also code a new multi-channel player for Z80/68k TI. Think I'll post a tutorial on 1-bit routine coding over at the 1bit forum soon.

I'd like to enter, but I dont have the right components to get my 556 timers working ):
I consider using software on a 64 bit computer cheating.
  • Calculators owned: TI Nspire CX, HP Prime
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: NES

Snektron

Sadly im not really good at music making :/ though i have a question!
Since for example the io port on a 83/84+ series calculator have 2 rings, one for left and one for right, does that mean that if you use only one of the rings (or both but just outut the same audio) it technically is one bit? I mean you an only have the ring(s) on or off. But if you change the state on different speeds, you get different tone's, so you'd say its more than one bit. In other words does serial data count as one bit i guess?
I'm not very familliar to that kind of music related stuff :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

utz

@DJ Omnimaga: The old url was http://1bit.i-demo.pl. Not much left over at archive.org, sadly.

@Strontium: Damn, some 55x timer music would be sweet. Regarding stuff made on PC, well, we do have a "fakebit" category where you can submit stuff made with VSTs etc. In fact one of our members just made an advanced VSTi which emulates different types of 1-bit synthesis.

@Cumred_Snektron: Yes, strictly speaking TI music using both rings/lines seperatly would be 2-bit ;) But we aren't that strict, so we count it as 2x 1-bit :P

utz

Sorry for the bump, just wanted to let you know that I've posted a tutorial on how to write 1-bit music routines on the 1-bit forum. So far I've covered only the basics, will be extending the tutorial with some advanced tips and tricks later on. It's all a bit ZX Spectrum-centric at the moment, but I believe it can be easily adapted for writing TI calc sound routines as well.

Unicorn

Hmm maybe I'll try that out if I have nothing to do tomorrow! :)
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

alexgt

Cool, I will probably be using Axe (Ti-84+)

Dream of Omnimaga

Thanks foe the info utz. Too bad you had to change website URLs entirely. This happened to another calc site, called Revolution Software,  a few years ago.

Snektron

Quote from: alexgt on July 15, 2015, 12:51:00 PM

ohh, interesting. Do you have a 2.5mm to 3.5mm jack? i had trouble finding one, and the one i got didnt fit. After some sanding it did though
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

alexgt

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on July 24, 2015, 11:22:52 AM
Quote from: alexgt on July 15, 2015, 12:51:00 PM

ohh, interesting. Do you have a 2.5mm to 3.5mm jack? i had trouble finding one, and the one i got didnt fit. After some sanding it did though
I bought one and lost it but I can use the emu xD