Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Your favorite chiptune music

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, November 26, 2014, 07:23:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuki

• Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

aetios

I know that song under a different name, but I forgot it. At least it's not listed as "Unreal Super Hero 3" on my PC.
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Streetwalrus on November 27, 2014, 02:50:41 PM
Well the main problem with the GBA is the crappy speaker and audio circuitry. If you try games in a good emulator then it sounds awesome.
Not really. I tried some games on an emulator and the sound quality was still crappy compared to the SNES. I think it depends of the game, though. Some were converted rather well, but others, such as the infamous Sonic 1 GBA port and Final Fantasy VI, turned out really bad.

Quote from: Juju on November 27, 2014, 06:01:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9STiQ8cCIo0
Best song ever.

Oh that's nice actually :D
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

Oh if you're talking about SNES remakes... Original GBA games have great audio. Look at the Pokémon games for example. :D

Dream of Omnimaga

I definitively agree. I think it's because the SNES had all those reverb effects and sometimes allowed for higher frequencies, but the GBA has more compression on samples. They probably didn't care much about sound quality since they figured that most people would play games on a real console with no headset.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

They don't have that much compression, it's the audio output which is bad.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

novenary

Yeah as I said 99% of the audio quality loss on the GBA is due to crappy audio amplifier and speaker. :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Then why emulators won't produce better GBA sound? O.O

Keoni29

Perhaps they emulate the crappy amp as well :P
If you like my work, why not give me an internet?

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 28, 2014, 05:00:45 PM
Then why emulators won't produce better GBA sound? O.O

They won't if they fidely emulate the sound output! :p
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

novenary

True, but you can hear a lot more details when playing on an emulator (noise and beat channels for example).

Keoni29

The sound is not filtered in the emulator. The GBA's sound output probably has some kind of analog filter before it goes trough the amplifier. This means you hear a lot of high-frequency noise when playing on an emulator.
If you like my work, why not give me an internet?

Dream of Omnimaga

Scipi

It's not really chiptunes, but chiptune-esque. But I really enjoy this one:

• Calculators owned: TI-83+, Nspire, Nspire CX, Casio Prizm

novenary

I really love the Pokemon FRLG soundtrack as well as all of the Phoenix Wright music.

Yesterday I tried Super Hexagon and VVVVVV and these have totally insane music as well. :D

Also not exactly chiptunes but still DSP based music are the Mario Kart Double Dash, Zelda Twilight Princess/Wind Waker/OoT and F-Zero GX soundtracks are absolutely awesome.