Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Your favorite chiptune music

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, November 26, 2014, 07:23:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

If possible, it would be best to keep this thread for chiptune music that you discovered or that you like, not stuff you created, in case one day this sub-forum splits into a music showcase and general discussion like what happened on Omni a few years ago. Create new topics to showcase your own work if possible. That's unless you want to showcase music from another user, which is fine, lol.

Anyway, my favorite 8-bit songs are mostly from Mega Man and Castlevania series and I like Ys music too. But I just found this and thought it sounded cool too :D:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJRCxH9P8Jo

It's a 8-bit remake of Super Turrican's first stage theme.

Also, music from Utz from Omnimaga is awesome as well, especially the calc stuff: https://soundcloud.com/irrlicht-project
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

My webradio (soundchip userbar in my signature) sums up all my OC chiptune discoveries.

Favorite artist : (IAYD)[https://m.soundcloud.com/IAYD]
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Keoni29

I love Chris Huelsbeck's music! He did some great chiptunes on the C64 and the Amiga. He also composed that song you posted, DJ :)
Other artists I like are: Lukhash, Dunderpatrullen, Bossfight, Tim Follin, Jake Kaufman, Michiru Yamane, Dubmood
the list goes on...
If you like my work, why not give me an internet?

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Tip : provider links. I'd check this out and maybe add it to the waiting list for my radio! :p

Keoni29

These artists don't put up their music for free tho :P

novenary

Eiyeron's post made me think... Maybe we should get a markdown parser for the forum as md is much easier to type than bbcode. :P

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Yes, I typed too much Markdown these last days. Sorry, I'll correct that right now. But yeah a MD parser should be very useful.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: keoni29 on November 26, 2014, 10:25:24 AM
I love Chris Huelsbeck's music! He did some great chiptunes on the C64 and the Amiga. He also composed that song you posted, DJ :)
Other artists I like are: Lukhash, Dunderpatrullen, Bossfight, Tim Follin, Jake Kaufman, Michiru Yamane, Dubmood
the list goes on...
Yep Chris Huelsbeck is one of my favorite artist too. I wasn't sure if it was chiptune material, though, since the Amiga isn't 8 bit (unless I am wrong?) and I didn't realize he made C64 stuff too, but I guess we could mention him as well.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Chiptune = 8-bit. SNES music can be treated as chiptunes and thus, Amiga too.

But DUBMOOD FTW (ansd he seems to live in Marseille! :D)

Dream of Omnimaga

I thought that the SNES wasn't chiptune at first because the instruments seemed to be wav samples rather than generated by the sound chip. But again, older consoles have some WAV samples too so I don't know.

Keoni29

It's chip music because the music is played back from a sequence of notes trough the chip in order to produce sound rather than playing back a stream. It's a bit like midi.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

It's mostly midi-like. Even the GBA works on a similar system. GSF files can be converted (with oain) into midi+soundfont. Sane for SNES games.

Dream of Omnimaga

Ok thanks for the info. That said, the GBA samples quality is rather bad IMHO. A lot of SNES games that got ported to the GBA saw their music quality reduced a lot. >.< Not to mention the lack of the SNES reverb effects, which makes things worse.

novenary

Well the main problem with the GBA is the crappy speaker and audio circuitry. If you try games in a good emulator then it sounds awesome.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

One of the most evident way to hear the difference is taking a listen to Mother 3 remade soundtrack. Given the GSF (GBA sound emulation) and the midi + soundfont from the GSF, the sound is not the same at all...