Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[4x3 contest][java] PixCiv

Started by brentmaas, May 30, 2015, 08:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brentmaas

Old post for no reason:
Spoiler
Hello there,

Not much to see here right now, just notifying you guys that I'll also be submitting an entry somewhere tomorrow. This topic will be edited later to accomodate a proper entry. For now, enjoy a quick screeny of me beating the c out of the AI (as far as that's clear).
[close]

Okay here we go! Right before the deadline, I may present you guys: PixCiv!

PixCiv was originally intended to be a very simple version of Sid Meier's Civilization, but it has actually turned out more like Risk, whatever.

Original readme (which includes some screenies):
Spoiler
PixCiv ~ 4x3 Contest Entry by brentmaas
Link to topic: http://codewalr.us/index.php?topic=506

------------
Requirements
------------
Environment: Java Runtime Environment (minimal version: 1.8)
Compilation: Nope! Already did that for you! Just double-click 'PixCiv.jar'.

-----------
How to play
-----------
//This was originally a Word document (I misread) where I made a graphical explanation.
//The Word document is also at the root of the zip.
//Any images in the document are replaced by <Imagename.jpg>, where Imagename.jpg can be found in the Images folder in the root of the zip.
//Sorry for any inconveniece

After loading up the game, you'll be presented the 'Main Menu':

First of all: the slowly in- and out-fading white pixel is the 'Cursor', moved by either the arrow keys or ASDW and activated by the Enter key.
The Cursor is used to activate or click the pixels that perform certain actions. The Cursor fades quite slow to reduce/eliminate the risk of epilepsy.
The background is just decoration (an instance of a randomly generated map), but the bright green pixel in the centre represents 'Start Game' and the red pixel to the right of it represents 'Quit Game'.

Pressing the 'Start Game' pixel will bring up the 'Game Mode Selection' menu.

In here, clicking the top-left red pixel will return you to the Main Menu.
The two green pixels are the two available game modes, described by the red and yellow pixels below:
-Red and greyed out yellow: human player vs. the AI.
-Red and normal yellow: human player vs. human player.

Clicking any of the two game modes will start the game:

In here, you'll see land tiles (green), sea tiles (blue).
Tiles coloured red are owned by player 1 and tiles coloured yellow are owned by player 2.
Only land tiles can be conquered, sea tiles are there to give the world a little shape and cannot be conquered.
Pressing the Escape key will bring up the Pause Menu:

In here, top-left green returns to the game and bottom-left red stops the game and returns to the Main Menu. The red and yellow tiles are there to show whose turn it is, flashy red for red's turn, flashy yellow for yellow's turn.
Flashing is in sync with the cursor (again to reduce/eliminate epilepsy risk).
Pressing Escape again will also return to the game.

When clicking any of the tiles owned by the current player on turn will show up the Tile Info:

Clicking top-right red or pressing Escape will return you back to the game.
The white, blue and grey pixels on top of each other represent the 'Modes' the tile can be in.
Modes require one turn to update:
-White: Inactive mode. No bonuses. This mode is automatically on from the start of the game and any tile will switch to this mode whenever it is captured.
-Blue: Scout mode. Provides +50% attack bonus. Although it says 'Scout mode', this mode will not reveal information about its neighbouring tiles.
-Grey: Fortify mode. Provides +100% defend bonus. Fortifying tiles will usually keep them safe, especially when they reached their full capacity of six troops. Do not rely on this, though, because multiple surrounding tiles can still take it out and the other player might send waves of troops instead of six troops per six turns.
On the entire right-hand side of the screen is the Troop Meter, which can range from zero to six. The Troop Meter will also indicate which mode the tile is on. It will slowly blink between the old and new mode if the mode is going to change next turn. The Meter indicates the amount of troops like this:
6   3
5   2
4   1
And zero troops if the whole thing is empty. Troops will replenish every turn on every non-neutral tile.

Finally, the magenta pixel of the middle-left opens the Mover:

The red top-right pixel will return to the tile, just like pressing Escape, and the green middle-left pixel will allow you to select where to move the selected troops to.
On the right is another special version of the Troop Meter. The indication works the same, but the grey pixels represent unselected troops, equal to the amount of troops in the tile, and white pixels represent selected troops.
Clicking any of the available tiles will select that amount of troops.
Pressing the green continue pixel will bring up the normal world again.
Although this time, if you click next to the tile you selected earlier (either horizontally or vertically, not diagonally), the amount of troops you selected will perform a movement to that tile.
If the tile is yours, they will simply be transferred to that tile.
If the tile if neutral (green), they will take over the tile without casualties.
If the tile is the enemy's, they will attack it.
Attacking works like this:
-The defending troops and attack troops will be multiplied by the benefits of their tile's mode (+50% attack if the attacking tile is on Scout, +100% defend if the defending tile is on Fortify).
-The defending troops will be subtracted from the attacking troops and vice versa.
-If the defendant has troops left after the battle, nothing happens and the remaining defenders return to their tile. If the attacker has troops left after battle, the remaining attackers will capture the tile. Captured tile cannot perform movement until the next turn (they can switch modes so the mode will be ready next turn).

Tile capture:

Yellow won the game:

After winning, the screen will slowly blink between the world and the winner's colour.
Pressing Escape will return to the Main Menu.
[close]

'Special' features:
-Resizable window for those who like their games 100x800, slide to the top of the screen for fullscreen.
-Scrubby AI good enough to make you feel good about winning, but not bad enough to lose from AFK'ers.
Lel I glitched Omni

Unicorn

Cool! I'm definetly gonna play this one! :) Big fan of risk.  :D
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Snektron

Awesome! Lots of reading though :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

brentmaas

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on May 31, 2015, 09:31:09 AM
Awesome! Lots of reading though :P
You'll have to do something to decode this mess of random colors xD
Lel I glitched Omni

Dream of Omnimaga

Wait, are you going to code a Civilization game in less than one day? ??? Or did you start already but didn't submit the topic until now? In any case, good luck and I am curious about how this could turn out if submitted in time tonight. :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

brentmaas

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 31, 2015, 03:28:14 PM
Wait, are you going to code a Civilization game in less than one day? ??? Or did you start already but didn't submit the topic until now? In any case, good luck and I am curious about how this could turn out if submitted in time tonight. :)
I've done some coding here and there in the past month, but only got really active on it the past week.
Lel I glitched Omni

Scipi

Played a little of this. This is really, really impressive.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, Nspire, Nspire CX, Casio Prizm

Dream of Omnimaga

Aah I see Brentmaas. I played this yesterday and didn't grasp the gameplay yet, but I'll definitively study the readme more in the next few days so I can judge the game adequatly. :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

It really looks quite nice. Actually this is my favorite entry, but I still need to find out how to play it :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

brentmaas

Quote from: DarkestEx on June 21, 2015, 12:59:54 AM
It really looks quite nice. Actually this is my favorite entry, but I still need to find out how to play it :P
Yeah, there was an error on my side where I didn't mention that spacebar is next turn.
Lel I glitched Omni

Dream of Omnimaga

Overall, though, the game mechanics are a bit complicated to learn in the readme. But again it's a strategy game so perhaps the 4x3 didn't help. But it was a good effort nonetheless. If you expand it to HD, make sure to not forget anything in the readme. :P

Snektron

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on June 21, 2015, 04:09:04 PM
Overall, though, the game mechanics are a bit complicated to learn in the readme. But again it's a strategy game so perhaps the 4x3 didn't help. But it was a good effort nonetheless. If you expand it to HD, make sure to not forget anything in the readme. :P
A HD version of this game would definitely be cool O.O
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Scipi

Make this a full game, please ^_^

I adore strategy games :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, Nspire, Nspire CX, Casio Prizm

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on June 21, 2015, 04:10:33 PM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on June 21, 2015, 04:09:04 PM
A HD version of this game would definitely be cool O.O
Player's units:

Enemy units

Could be set in Walrii land, where the enemy units would simply be the dark/ghost/zombie walruses. :P

But again, since Civilization is centered around building stuff more than attacking, maybe fewer units would be needed?

Just tossing some ideas around.

Unicorn

Thers no unicorn in the aristacrat section? O.O
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???