Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

volaTile!

Started by Enaz, May 19, 2015, 01:23:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enaz

Hey guys! I'm still kind of new to the forums, but when I saw this contest, well, I couldn't resist the challenge!

Presenting volaTile!

Remember that old game "Lights Out"? volaTile is similar, but instead of just toggling adjacent tiles, clicking a tile may toggle tiles next to it, above it, diagonal from it, etc. The goal is to determine what rule set is being used in each level. The top 9 tiles are the grid, the tiles that change when clicked. Tile #10 is the timer. It starts each level totally white, but gets darker as time progresses. The remaining two tiles are the rule set options, represented by color. Select the correct rule set before tile #10 fades to black, and you proceed to the next level.

Language: Visual BASIC

To-Do List

• levels
  • difficulty settings

alexgt

Hia welcome to the forums :). Looks cool :) and what platform is it for? and what language? Good luck :)
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Unicorn

Welcome, might you want to introduce yourself here?

Also, sounds pretty cool!
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Ivoah

This seems awesome! I love the concept
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

Dream of Omnimaga

I saw you in the GameCube thread but welcome to the forums :). You should introduce yourself in the intro thread when you have a chance: http://codewalr.us/index.php?topic=32.new#new :walrii:

This project looks interesting. I was wondering if LightsOut in 3x3 mode would be too simple to play, but I like your ideas about tiles that have different behaviors. Hopefully you can figure out ideas to make it so that there are as few solutions as possible to solve the puzzle. Good luck! :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

alex (or should I say DJ2 :P) it seems like it will be a windows 7 game.

Ha! DJ, I beat ya to it. But i guess your's is better because of :walrii:
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Snektron

Ohh, awesome! I recently had to do a project on lights out for maths, so i know the algo's :P Can't wait to test them on this :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Enaz

Sorry I took so long to respond. Finals week.  :-\

Alex, the platform is Windows, and the language is Visual Basic.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I'll be sure to introduce myself soon  :)

Dream of Omnimaga

By the way, can the window be resized? I forgot if that was possible in Visual Basic. Back when I last used Visual Basic it was version 6.0 in 2003 and I even remember people saying that changing the computer resolution through VB6 code was impossible without random BSOD's, but I don't remember if simple window resizing was possible.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Enaz

Funny you should mention that. The first thing I coded (even before the actual tile class!) was the form resize. It seemed a bit unorthodox at the time, but I knew I would have to do it sometime down the road, so I figured why not?

Manually adjusting the resolution can be difficult, so I tend to leave that up to Windows' default behavior. Luckily, resizing is fairly simple, though it can be extremely tedious to code.  :-\ I set up my form to be fully adjustable by the user, and because the controls are so simple, I opted not to maintain aspect ratios to allow for greater flexibility in the program's operation.

alexgt

Quote from: Enaz on May 22, 2015, 04:56:46 AM
Sorry I took so long to respond. Finals week.  :-\

Alex, the platform is Windows, and the language is Visual Basic.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I'll be sure to introduce myself soon  :)
Awesome! You are welcome :)
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX