Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Bitty Bird!

Started by JWinslow23, May 12, 2015, 02:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JWinslow23

Have you ever thought Flappy Bird was too easy? Are you easily able to get a score of at least 5 every time you play? Have you been playing so much that you sold all your possessions for some reason in order to keep playing it?

Well, now there's hope :P

Introducing: Bitty Bird! (updated screenie; access old screenie by clicking here

Bitty Bird packs all the fun and frustration of Flappy Bird into the barest resemblance of a game you can make it into :P . It's also written entirely in TI-BASIC, so the minimalist aspect really shines there ;) .

Press UP to flap your less-than-a-subpixel-long wings, and get through as many of  the definitely-metallic-and-green pipes as you can before you crash! At the end, it shows you your score as individual letters and digits (i.e. a score of 14 would be S C O R E 1 4 flashing on the screen). You can press CLEAR to quit at any time.

It has two programs, BTTYBIRD and BTTYDRAW. Both are needed, and you run the game by running BTTYBIRD. You can download them after the contest, otherwise I'm disqualified :P right below, as attachments to this post.

Planned features:

• Cramming the game in 2x2 pixels Not a chance
  • Coloration of the bird, sky, and pipes I guess the pipes are already green
  • Physics so realistic your eyes hurt It's pixels, not hi-def 64-bit graphics
  • insert funny joke here Nope :P
  • Difficulty settings

Please give me feedback! Thanks in advance! :3=

Dream of Omnimaga

Just as an heads up, the in-game text and the border during gameplay would be against the contest rules. In order to not be disqualified you would have to remove them entirely. For gameplay size you can simply use Text(-1,A,B,"  " instead of two Pt-On commands so it would be larger and still fast. Other than that I like it so far :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

JWinslow23

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 12, 2015, 06:42:01 PM
Just as an heads up, the in-game text and the border during gameplay would be against the contest rules. In order to not be disqualified you would have to remove them entirely. For gameplay size you can simply use Text(-1,A,B,"  " instead of two Pt-On commands so it would be larger and still fast. Other than that I like it so far :)
The in game text (the SCORE letters) perfectly fit in the 4x3 requirement :P . And I'll take your advice on the Text command.

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh ok I was more wondering about the "Jwinslow23's Contest Entry: Bitty Bird. Up to Flap, clear to quit" in the screenshot I saw earlier. I thought it was part of the game, hence why i was making sure.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

JWinslow23

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 12, 2015, 07:35:21 PM
Oh ok I was more wondering about the "Jwinslow23's Contest Entry: Bitty Bird. Up to Flap, clear to quit" in the screenshot I saw earlier. I thought it was part of the game, hence why i was making sure.
Understandable. I just typed that on the homescreen in the screenie so that people could understand what was going on in context without having to read on.

And on the Text command, I wasn't able to find a character that could be interpreted as one rectangle block, and adding lines to characters that came close slowed it and made it look bad. So, I don't know what to do except for Pt-On.

Dream of Omnimaga

Wouldn't spaces work? With text(-1, two spaces are like 12x8 pixels large and it makes an entire rectangle white. Then the black 8xi file can be used to erase them. That said, having to redraw everything might still slow things down.

Otherwise you could use xLIB or DCS7 rectangle command, unless your goal was to absolutely make the game pure basic.

JWinslow23

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 12, 2015, 10:06:41 PM
Wouldn't spaces work? With text(-1, two spaces are like 12x8 pixels large and it makes an entire rectangle white. Then the black 8xi file can be used to erase them. That said, having to redraw everything might still slow things down.

Otherwise you could use xLIB or DCS7 rectangle command, unless your goal was to absolutely make the game pure basic.
With this one (and actually, most programs I write), I really wanted to challenge myself. I want it to be in pure BASIC, and need as few extra files and subprograms as possible. Same with that pi program. I'm not sure how it'll exactly work (unless you can stand a full wash of black before the game begins...actually, I'll be right back)

Dream of Omnimaga

It depends. With pre-rendered pictures and a resolution of 3x3 you could have faster pure-BASIC movement with full screen, but then the game would flicker a lot.

In any case, good luck!

Snektron

But wouldn't that require like 2^12 different textures? even if the tios had that many variables it wouldn't even have enough ram
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

JWinslow23

I found a way to have the blocks take up the entire screen! (Well, there are leftover pixels on the right, but it fills as much as I can fill :P .) In order to do this, the game is inverted, and 1 entirely black Picvar has to be created (which is done in the program). And the game still runs at a playable speed. :)

I'll post another screenie as soon as plausible. (-_(//));

JWinslow23

Bump.

I made the grid bigger, and implemented difficulty settings (in the form of different pipe forms) (bet you can't guess the formulas I do to figure them out :P )!

Download link will become available when it faces judgement from the original walrus. :3= attached to the original post.

Dream of Omnimaga

For a second I thought you posted your program publicly O.O (it would disqualify you).

Also nice update. I am surprised that it runs this fast O.O. Do you pre-render your graphics? Also I see you switched to 3x4 lol. I guess it's kinda fitting though considering the original Flappy Bird was on smartphones. :P

Snektron

Whia cool, im surprised too it runs that fast O.O
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

JWinslow23

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 14, 2015, 03:23:33 AM
For a second I thought you posted your program publicly O.O (it would disqualify you).

Also nice update. I am surprised that it runs this fast O.O. Do you pre-render your graphics? Also I see you switched to 3x4 lol. I guess it's kinda fitting though considering the original Flappy Bird was on smartphones. :P
Didn't release, don't you worry. Just want to mess with people who don't read the file extension :P . (and the size is the same as it always was, save for the size of the blocks)

As for graphics, the only "pre-rendering" I did was the full shade of the graph screen. I made that into a picture, and then for every time I had to draw, I recalled that picture, and drew each "pixel" with 2 Text(-1)s of spaces. (The drawing is all handled in that subprogram, BTTYDRAW)

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on May 14, 2015, 08:25:32 AM
Whia cool, im surprised too it runs that fast O.O
Thanks. The same surprise was here when I actually implemented that larger grid.

Dream of Omnimaga

That's actually a good trick I guess. I was wondering if anyone would use it in BASIC. Since you just fill the entire screen then it counts as using the allowed resolutions, just rendered slowly during pre-rendering (I would have issues with it if you did fancy animations such as rendering every two line of pixel then the rest, though :P)

And yeeah I am really impressed by the speed considering the large amount of Text commands that are being used. Maybe I just forgot how fast screen drawing can be on the monochrome models, though. :P Do you use For loops? Those can slow things down a lot, although they reduce the code size a lot too.