Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[4x3 contest][C++][PC]MiniDungeon

Started by Scipi, May 09, 2015, 05:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snektron

I Still don't see how that will work :P But im sure Scipi can figure something out
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Scipi

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 13, 2015, 06:53:35 AM
Aah I like the idea. Just make sure that whenever possible, there aren't too many instances or entrances being in the opposite direction than the exits, so the player won't constantly backtrack by mistake.

Well, what will happen is the player will move through a door and will appear on the opposite side of the room, depending on which direction they moved. There will be a door there, however.

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on May 13, 2015, 01:42:15 PM
How are you going to implement battles btw?
Quote from: alexgt on May 13, 2015, 08:05:25 PM
Will the enemies fight you by them selves or do you?

You move towards an enemy to strike at it. If you take a move and the enemy takes a move and ends up on a square next to you, it will strike you instead.

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 16, 2015, 07:19:38 AM
Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on May 15, 2015, 09:23:05 AM
It could also be where you just lose a bit of health when you walk in an enemy, though that would be less exiting :P
I'M thinking the best way would be to make the game so if enemies moves towards you and you aren't moving, then you lose health and the other way around when you walk towards them. If both walk towards each others then maybe the hits could be dodged? Of course if Scipi plans to add leveling up (eg LV 1 being black and 99 white or something) then I guess the amount of damage taken by both could also be based on levels, so if you try to attack a level 99 enemy as a level 50 then you would take the damage.

That's how I was thinking of having level up's go. That's a neat idea with if both move towards eachother at the same time. Damage could be applied according to the ratio of your level.

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on May 16, 2015, 10:12:31 AM
Yes but wouldn't that require quite comlex AI? I mean the enemy's are probably always moving

It's nothing more than a simple A* towards the player then checking some conditions in the conflict resolution phase. Not really complex at all. And movement goes in turns. So you take an action then everything else in the world takes an action after you. Like how old roguelikes worked. Even in a realtime system, though, it's a simple thing to do. :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, Nspire, Nspire CX, Casio Prizm

Snektron

Ah okay :). I can't wait to see the finished game! :D

alexgt

Yeah, sounds awesome :).
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah that's what I meant Scipi. Basically, just like Ys 1 and 2 when you attack enemies head-on.

Good luck by the way!
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Before trying the A*, you could do a quick Bresenham to see if the enemy can see the player and rush forwards.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

But how would it be useful if there is no obstacle at all in the maps? Of course, if the enemy looks in different directions then it could still be useful, but in 4x3 resolution it would be hard to see in which direction the pixel is looking.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Scipi

Quote from: Duke "Tape" Eiyeron on May 21, 2015, 04:46:52 PM
Before trying the A*, you could do a quick Bresenham to see if the enemy can see the player and rush forwards.

Well, I'm probably not going to bother with A*. There's no point in such a small area. What I plan on doing is taking the Manhattan distance then randomly moving either along the vertical or horizontal axis towards the player. Doing that would make the AI seem interesting, although it might be better for everything to be entirely deterministic from the player's perspective.

Dream of Omnimaga

Do you mean having the enemies always go toward you?

Scipi

Pretty much. The AI should be somewhat aggressive towards the player. Having random movement would make the AI more unpredictable, which would help it seem smarter and a more interesting challenge. But having everything completely predictable might be more fun overall as the player can reliably plan out their moves

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah that's what I thought as well. Don't make it move towards you every frame, though, else it will be impossible to dodge. What I usually do is either make it move every 2 frame or I make it alternate between moving towards you and randomly. It could vary from one enemy/dungeon to another, though.

Scipi

The world updates only when you take an action. So the player controls the pacing of the game, really.

Also, the framerate is bound to be some insanely high number. :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh right that seems like you could have the enemies move every turn, then. :)

Snektron

Quote from: Scipi on May 25, 2015, 06:28:12 AM
Also, the framerate is bound to be some insanely high number. :P

Because it's so little to render? :P
I recently did some experiment with some shaders. It didn't really work but i had to seperate the update and render part since it was running at 2500 fps O.O

Dream of Omnimaga

For such game, I think the frame rate should be set to 8 max. You can have animations that run faster, but trying to walk at 60 fps would be a nightmare. :P