Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[4x3 contest][C++][PC]MiniDungeon

Started by Scipi, May 09, 2015, 05:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipi

I'll be making a small dungeon crawler for the 4x3 contest.

Some of the ideas I have going:

-Map is split into a grid of 4x3 rooms
-World updates only when the player takes an action.
-Player can move around rooms and attack enemies
-Map is randomly generated

Here's a mockup of the game:

Edit:
The Green pixel is the player, red is an enemy, and the grey are doors

The game will be written in Lua using the Love2D framework
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, Nspire, Nspire CX, Casio Prizm

Dream of Omnimaga

Ooh, glad to see you are entering the contest too. :D I hope you can finish the entry, unlike your other projects. :P

How will rooms be connected? Will there be obstacles such as walls?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

Looks and sounds cool!
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Snektron

Oh i really like that idea :D Good luck :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Scipi

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 09, 2015, 05:02:17 AM
Ooh, glad to see you are entering the contest too. :D I hope you can finish the entry, unlike your other projects. :P

How will rooms be connected? Will there be obstacles such as walls?

Hopefully... Rooms will be connected at the grey points and walls are edges with no transitions. The entire map is a grid of cells and each cell is a 4x3 room. So should be easy to implement and work with. :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, Nspire, Nspire CX, Casio Prizm

Dream of Omnimaga

Aah I like the idea. Just make sure that whenever possible, there aren't too many instances or entrances being in the opposite direction than the exits, so the player won't constantly backtrack by mistake.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

How are you going to implement battles btw?

alexgt

Will the enemies fight you by them selves or do you?
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Dream of Omnimaga

Maybe they could be done like in CalcRogue and Ys? In CalcRogue, to attack an enemy you must press the arrow that points in the enemy direction, while in Ys you walk straight through enemies (but not centered, else they dodge your hit and you take damage unless you're at high levels)

Snektron

It could also be where you just lose a bit of health when you walk in an enemy, though that would be less exiting :P

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

CalcRogue was good. Good thing they made the game cross-platform. Actually, for the few roguelikes I tried to do, I actuallt search for an entity before trying to move to the direction I want, so I can select the right action to do.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

CKH4

Ooh sounds cool, I love löve. Its pretty easy and cool and stuff and sounds like its a good choice for this project. Good luck.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on May 15, 2015, 09:23:05 AM
It could also be where you just lose a bit of health when you walk in an enemy, though that would be less exiting :P
I'M thinking the best way would be to make the game so if enemies moves towards you and you aren't moving, then you lose health and the other way around when you walk towards them. If both walk towards each others then maybe the hits could be dodged? Of course if Scipi plans to add leveling up (eg LV 1 being black and 99 white or something) then I guess the amount of damage taken by both could also be based on levels, so if you try to attack a level 99 enemy as a level 50 then you would take the damage.

Snektron

Yes but wouldn't that require quite comlex AI? I mean the enemy's are probably always moving

Dream of Omnimaga

Probably not. The way I'm thinking about would have enemies still move randomly or every few frame and no AI would be required for damage. I can't really help much, though, because contest. :P