Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[4x3 contest] [Axe] (No idea for a name :P)

Started by Hayleia, May 01, 2015, 09:55:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hayleia

A wild Hayleia appears :P

Well I was fed up with coding in Java for school projects so I decided to try to enter that contest and write some awesome ugly Axe again :D
I have the idea of the gameplay but I don't know how to call that.

So basically, you start at the top left corner of a 4x3 grid and your goal is to have the screen all blank. Move with the arrows to walk the tiles and lower their level. If you walk on a white tile, you lose. Edges wrap around.

The gameplay took 1 hour to write but now I need levels :P
It's probably going to take more time.

Dream of Omnimaga

For the name if you cannot find one before the deadline, you could always call it H4x3ia for now (it has 4x3 and to a lesser extent Axe in l33tsp33k, in it) :P.

Anyway that sounds pretty challenging O.O. I assume you will make your own levels, right? I like the idea, by the way.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Hayleia

Lol, nice name :P
It probably doesn't describe the game very well but I like how it has Hayleia (almost), Axe and 4x3 in it, as you said :)

And yeah, I'll make my own levels with a level editor I still need to make. It will probably not be included in the contest entry though since it will probably need a more detailed interface (menus and all) than just 4x3 pixels :P

And if you want to know how I got that idea, I can tell you but I warn you, it's very stupid :P
I have been playing MH4U a lot lately, and at the end of each hunt, you get rewards. What you do with those is always put them in your box, but you have to select them one by one in a grid and press A on each of them. Since that's a bit annoying, I try everytime to get them all by passing through each tile only once (not always possible) and I thought it could be made into a full game, with some twists like edge wrapping and tiles that need more than one pass.

Dream of Omnimaga

That would definitively be interesting. Just make sure the contest entry has some levels included since durong judging I probably won't make many myself if an editor is included due to limited time.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

Sounds cool! A level editor would make it even more popular with the publics.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Hayleia

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 02, 2015, 03:56:23 PM
That would definitively be interesting. Just make sure the contest entry has some levels included since durong judging I probably won't make many myself if an editor is included due to limited time.
Quote from: Unicorn on May 02, 2015, 05:13:16 PM
Sounds cool! A level editor would make it even more popular with the publics.
Yeah, I'll make a level editor before the release because it will be easier even for me to include enough levels for the release :P
But it won't be included in the official release since it would probably be against the rules (not 4x3), just released externally :)

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Here's a name idea : LightWalk.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

alexgt

That sounds like CakeWalk... it must be a lie!
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

ben_g

It's a cool concept, but in the screenshot, there doesn't seem to be a way of knowing where you're standing. Maybe you should let that tile blink, to make it more clear.

CKH4

Yeah I agree, maybe recti( on both buffers at the cursor position.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

Hayleia

LightWalk is a cool name idea, thanks :D
A friend of mine also suggested Four Shades of Grey lol. I should probably make a poll some time, when everyone suggested their idea.

And yeah, making your current position blink might be a good idea. It would only be a problem when you're standing on a white tile but since that can only happen at the beginning, it's not a problem.

matrefeytontias

Not bad actually. Also, with 12 tiles and 4 possible states, that's 20734 possible puzzles excluding all black and all white :P that should keep one busy for a while.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+.fr, TI-Nspire CAS prototype, TI-84+ CSE, TI-Nspire CX
My TI games (some got their own article on non-calc websites !) : http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/authors/112/11202.html

My moozik (100% free metal) : http://www.soundcloud.com/matrefeytontias

Dream of Omnimaga

Lol Four Shades of Grey would be funny actually.

alexgt

• Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Hayleia

Quote from: matrefeytontias on May 03, 2015, 10:38:03 PM
Not bad actually. Also, with 12 tiles and 4 possible states, that's 20734 possible puzzles excluding all black and all white :P that should keep one busy for a while.
How did you calculate that ? Because I know the solution is not 4^12 since there are a number of unsolvable problems in that, but how did you get the number of solvable problems then ?

And yeah, when that friend of mine suggested Four Shades of Grey, I thought this was the game it would fit most. Of course, most z80 greyscale games only use Four Shades of Grey, but that game here is pretty much only about Four Shades of Grey :P
But it's a bit funnyculous so I don't know.