Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[4x3 Contest] Hyper Hues/Whack-a-Color

Started by Unicorn, April 29, 2015, 05:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unicorn

NEW IDEA
So, this is my contest entry: Whack-A-Color for the CSE
It shows you random color to look for, and then shows a 3x3 screen of different color squares. You must "hit" the square that is the color shown before the game starts. To hit the color, you will use the numpad. eg: if the color is on the top right, hit the [7]. For every color you "hit" you get one point.

Oh yeah, and there is a timer. :D

Scoring: The scores are displayed once the timer runs out, they are color coded, so RED<=5 points and so on.

The top right is the color to hit, and the bottom right is your score. Scoring is as follows:

BLUE    =    5
GREEN   =  10
ORANGE = 15
RED     =     20
Yellow    =   25
PURPLE =  30

Download here.

OLD IDEA:
Spoiler

So, this is my contest entry: Hyper Hues for the CSE
It displays 12 squares (may become 9)  that are all the same color, except one that is a different shade of that color. You must press the corresponding key to guess the color within a constantly shortening time span, and for every color you get right, you get 1 point.

Scoring: The scores are displayed once the timer runs out, they are color coded, so RED<=5 points and so on.

Screenshots:

Did I forget anything?  ???

I hope not :P
[/spoiler}
[close]
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Snektron

Yeah, for what platform is it? Alos sounds like a cool idea :D
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Unicorn

LOP, its for the CSE.

Anyways, I just changed the name to Hyper Hues
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Unicorn

Sorry for the double post but I got the screenshot up, and I just changed the name to Hiper Hues. (Misspelled on purpose)

Screanie:

I am having a little trouble with graphics as you can see, but that will be solved using sourcoder!

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

By the way you are aware that your game isn't 4x3, 3x3 nor 3x4 in resolution, right? :P That bottom rectangle should be taking at least 33.33% of the entire screen height. (Unless of course the tiny rectangle height is caused by a bug). In your case it looks more like 2.9x12. Basically it should be blocky like the GIF on the front page.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 30, 2015, 04:11:33 AM
By the way you are aware that your game isn't 4x3, 3x3 nor 3x4 in resolution, right? :P That bottom rectangle should be taking at least 33.33% of the entire screen height. (Unless of course the tiny rectangle height is caused by a bug). In your case it looks more like 2.9x12. Basically it should be blocky like the GIF on the front page.
Yeah, I know, as I said I have the engine down, I just need to work on my graphics.

Graphics are set, the side is for time, that will be implemented soon.

Green means that I got a score between 10 and 5

EDIT: Well, I guess it didn't' show the green screen at the end. It shows a color once you lose that corresponds to a number that is your score.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Snektron

since the CSE does have rectangle abillities does that mean it's semi-normal speed? :trollface:

Strontium

Quote from: Unicorn on April 30, 2015, 04:15:01 AM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 30, 2015, 04:11:33 AM
Yeah, I know, as I said I have the engine down, I just need to work on my graphics.

Graphics are set, the side is for time, that will be implemented soon.

Green means that I got a score between 10 and 5

EDIT: Well, I guess it didn't' show the green screen at the end. It shows a color once you lose that corresponds to a number that is your score.

Why not display the score in binary? That would allow you to have a lot higher scores.
  • Calculators owned: TI Nspire CX, HP Prime
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: NES

Unicorn

Binary as in...

Don't show any code, just give an example.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Snektron

Well, you have 4 (or 3 would work too) pixels, and you display the score in binary over these pixels: one would be off-off-off-on,
two would be off-off-on-off, etc. This basically allows you to have 16 scores instead of 4

DarkestEx

Yeah, or just colorcode the score in hex.
So you take 16 colors and let them correspond to 0-F.
Then you can easily do a table which show which color is what.

0x0
0x1
0x2
0x3
0x4
0x5
0x6
0x7
0x8
0x9
0xA
0xB
0xC
0xD
and so on

This would save you alot of space as it only needs one or two squares.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Unicorn

Oh, I see...

I think the way I am doing it should be ok for now.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Unicorn

Anyways....

After some thought, I think this game would be tooooo easy. So,  instead off trying to hit the different color, you will have to hit one certain color the entire game, essentially a wack-a-mole. If you miss a "mole" you will either loss a life or a point, I still have to decide.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

That seems like a nice idea actually. What kind of controls do you plan to use?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

Same as the first idea, the numpad.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???