Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

(Results out!) CW 4x3 Game Contest!

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, April 28, 2015, 11:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Have you ever thought that your graphing calculator was underpowered for its price? Maybe sometimes you felt that its limited speed and screen resolution were a bottleneck during your programming sessions and that you wished you had more room to develop games.

But what if your screen resolution was actually even worse? What if it was... let's say... 4x3, 3x4 or 3x3 pixels large? What if 12 pixels (or 9) was all that you got to work with? This is why today we are officially launching our first mini-contest: The CW 4x3 Challenge!

Description
Basically, you have to create a video game that runs at a resolution of 4x3, 3x4 or 3x3 pixels. You can simulate it via scaling if the platform doesn't support such low resolution, but as long as the entire game looks like a 4x3, 3x4 or 3x3 game you are fine. 3x3 is accepted too since some people might not need an HUD bar (eg to show energy and lives) but since there will be bonus points awarded on how much screen percentage the game fills, using 4x3 or 3x4 is recommended.

The goal of this contest is not to showcase your programming skills in particular, but rather to show what kind of game you can create under such extreme limitations. In other words, be creative!

Who is allowed to participate?
-People who have a CodeWalrus forum account, except the 4 staff members.

What platforms are eligible?
-TI-73, 81, TI-82/+/Stats, TI-83/+/Premium CE, TI-84+/SE/CSE/CE
-TI-85, TI-86, TI-89
-TI-Nspire Clickpad/Touchpad/CX (as long as it can run on non-CAS models with OS 3.1 or 3.6)
-Casio FX-7000G, 9750GII, 9860G, fx-CG10/20 or CP400
-HP 39gII and HP Prime
-Windows (as long as it can run on Windows 7)
-Android
-Web browsers (as long as it runs in the latest stable release of Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari or IE)
-We also accept NES, SNES, N64, Sega Genesis, Game Boy, GBC and GBA homebrews (in ROM format).

Which programming languages are eligible?
Everything. But keep in mind that all entries compete against each others regardless of the platform and language, so FX-7000G BASIC might not be the best idea.

What are the contest rules?
-The game must only use a 4x3, 3x4 or 3x3 blocks area. It doesn't have to fill the entire screen (or whatever is useable by the language), you get more points if it does. We will tolerate the drawing of each block using multiple commands (eg the Line() command), but if you do that then you must use the same sub-routine for every block and it must not erase other blocks. Do not emulate the gaps between pixels:

-The deadline is May 31st 2015, 11:59 PM, GMT. All entries will be made public afterward.
-The source code must be provided if it's not already viewable by default in the binary.
-You cannot use other people's code, same for pre-made engines (eg Game Maker).
-A readme explaining the game controls and what is needed to run and compile it must be included with your entry in .txt format.
-You must create a topic showcasing your entry (description, screenshots, progress) on the CodeWalrus forums at http://codewalr.us/index.php?board=34
-Participants cannot release code or binaries of their entry before judging and voting begins.
-Judging will be performed by me. More judges might be added later, depending of if they own all the electronic platforms we got entries for. Once judging and voting are done, the scores will be converted then merged together to design the winner.
-You will be asked a working e-mail address if you win, so that we can send you your prize.
-Grading will be done as follows:
Quote from: Grading*(20 pts) Originality: Is it just another tic-tac-toe clone that looks exactly like the 100 other ones in ticalc.org archives?
    *(20 pts) Creativity: How you managed to cram a game into 4x3, 3x4 or 3x3 resolution? Was your game choice reasonable (eg not Tetris)?
    *(15 pts) Gameplay: How well does the game play? Are controls well-chosen? Is it too slow to be playable?
    *(15 pts) Fun: Is the game fun? Would you play it again in the future?
    *(10 pts) Graphics: How well the game is shown under such extreme limitation? Can we distinguish what is what for that type of game?
    *(10 pts) Full screen: How much percentage of the screen (or whatever the language can use) can the game fill?
    *(10 pts) Size, speed, installing & bugs: Is the game file size reasonable for what it offers? Is it too slow? Is installation easy? is the game bug-ridden?

Prize
The winner will receive a $30 (USD) gift card for Steam, iTunes or Amazon, depending of what he chooses and what is available in his country.

Where to submit your entry
Zip up the sources and binaries, even if it's a webpage, and send it to the following address:
c o n t e s t @ c o d e w a l r . u s

So what are you waiting for? If you feel you are up to the challenge and want to make the TI-80 look HD, then start coding now! :walrii:

UPDATE (June 15th 2015): The final results are out! http://codewalr.us/index.php?topic=546.0
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

tr1p1ea

Strontium

Currently designing and documenting my entry. You'll be able to write your own DNA for a plant and help it survive in whatever environment you are given!

This will be fun.
  • Calculators owned: TI Nspire CX, HP Prime
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: NES

Snektron

Cool contest, i kinda thought it would be this :P
Also @strontium spoilers O.O
And is every colour allowed? (I mean the full spectrum)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Strontium

Oh god, if we only were able to do black and white.

Then it would be a million times harder.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Strontium on April 29, 2015, 12:27:05 AM
Currently designing and documenting my entry. You'll be able to write your own DNA for a plant and help it survive in whatever environment you are given!

This will be fun.
Cool :D. Make sure to create a topic in this sub-forum when you start coding it :)
Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on April 29, 2015, 12:30:29 AM
Cool contest, i kinda thought it would be this :P
Also @Strontium spoilers O.O
And is every colour allowed? (I mean the full spectrum)
Well, after all the idea came from you by accident because you mentionned something about 4x3 resolution a few months ago in another thread. I forgot where, though. Good thing we didn't announce this contest earlier this month, though, because people would have thought it's an April Fools joke. :P

And yes all colors are allowed.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

• Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh right that was where I got the idea from you :P

Unicorn

Dang, thats a tough one...

What to do, what to do...

I think I'll be doing this on a graphscreen :P
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Yuki

I made an entry, but I'm staff, so I guess I'll show it as a sample.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Strontium

Dream of Omnimaga

Seems like so, but yeah he can't submit it because staff cannot participate. :P

Also just as a reminder: Do not emulate the gap between pixels on larger screens. Gonna add the example picture I just made inside the first post:

Yuki

Quote from: Strontium on April 29, 2015, 03:14:03 AM
You made an entry already!?
It was made a while ago when we got the idea for the contest. Gotta modify it, though, since it have some bad stuff in there.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

I guess that if it's done properly within the rules then it could serve as an example. :P

princetonlion.tibd

I can't join because none of my calcs are allowed :P and I'm horrible at computer programming (I can't make anything on a computer)
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84 + CSE, Voyager 200, TI-Nspire
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)