Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

PICO-8 : Fantasy console

Started by Duke "Tape" Eiyeron, April 16, 2015, 08:44:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CKH4

If you have the alpha load either of the music carts because fake 3d. Also there's a demo that looks like doom.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Eyup, the raycasting one. There aren't any textures though. Probably would be too slow.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Ivoah

Does anyone know how the data is stored when saving a cart as a png file?
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Look at the pixels, it seems that he changes some parts of the colors on the carts. I would have prefered a SPORE-like storage, where the data were stored into PNG comment section.

Ivoah

I thought that the map/sprite data would be stored in the blank area in the middle so it could be seen, that would have been neat.
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

THe blank area is actually the thumbnail area. Press Fx (I don't remember which one) to PICO to store the current frame and when  you will save the cart, the thumbnail will be present. Just wait until I finish to post my project and you'll see a functionnal cart with thumbnail.

Ivoah

Ah, that's better than my idea :)

EDIT: I'm working on a game in PICO-8, I'll probably post when I'm done/have a working prototype

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Ivoah

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Sooo, F6 to make a screenshot that will be stored on your desktop
F7 to store the current screen state to write it later on future picture carts ('save name.png")

Ivoah

Here's a (buggy) prototype of a game I'm working on

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Another trick I read from the system, the first two text lines on the cart can be replaced for two commented lines (starting with --).

Ivoah

I thought it was only two

Quote from: pico8.txtThe first two lines of the program starting with '--' are drawn to the cart's label.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Corrected, I though we could be able to change the last one.

Snektron

Hmmm. I should try to make something with this too
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...