Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[TI 84+/83+] DovahCalc

Started by Snektron, April 14, 2015, 05:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snektron

This morning i got the idea to make a font hook that replaces letters with their Dovahzul equivalent:

It has a few changes, though:
- Since the dragon language has no c, the sprite is the same as 'k' with a minor change
- Things like 'Ah', which normally is 1 letter in the dragon language, is now just 'a' and 'h'

Also this was more of a quick experiment, so i made only a quick menu, without fancy moving parts.
(if you press one of the keys for the menu, it will enable/disable, just no action is shown)

EDIT: i wanted to have an alphabet here, but it doesnt seem to show pictures from ClrHome
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

CKH4

Very cool but I suggest that you add a quick escape feature in case anyone gets lost.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

Dream of Omnimaga

Interesting. I never heard of that Dovahzul thing before. Do you think it could be made as a separate font so that people with Omnicalc and other apps supporting fonts can use it without the program?

Also since this looks like a standalone hook program, I wonder how hard it would be to port it to the CSE so that people can have custom fonts (hint: New FF:MF graphics? :P) and if it would be possible to make the hook chain with DCSE?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

Quote from: CKH4 on April 14, 2015, 06:33:20 PM
Very cool but I suggest that you add a quick escape feature in case anyone gets lost.
Well it's kind of a joke things, so yeah :P (and that's why i made the menu a picture; so you can still read the options even when the hook is active (and i was lazy))

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 14, 2015, 08:00:13 PM
Interesting. I never heard of that Dovahzul thing before. Do you think it could be made as a separate font so that people with Omnicalc and other apps supporting fonts can use it without the program?
Probably, but i don't use Omnicalc myself and it'd require me to learn how to add fonts to omnicalc. Though i'd be happy to give someone the letter sprite data file (it's in the source (in the download) anyway).

Also since this looks like a standalone hook program, I wonder how hard it would be to port it to the CSE so that people can have custom fonts (hint: New FF:MF graphics? :P) and if it would be possible to make the hook chain with DCSE?
That may be quite a good idea and the hook code would be the same on the CSE, i only need to make some minor changes to the lookup and ofcourse the sprites itself. Maybe even add some kind of parser hook to allow sprites to be registered via basic? that would be quite awesome O.O

CKH4

I'm so proud of myself because I found a bug, pressing ² ^-1 makes a giant gap.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

Snektron

Yeah there are some more tokens. when you use the '^' with mathprint allmost everything explodes. Not quite sure why this happens.
Anyway thanks for notifying, i will look at it tomorrow :)

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on April 14, 2015, 08:26:24 PM
Quote from: CKH4 on April 14, 2015, 06:33:20 PM
Well it's kind of a joke things, so yeah :P (and that's why i made the menu a picture; so you can still read the options even when the hook is active (and i was lazy))

Probably, but i don't use Omnicalc myself and it'd require me to learn how to add fonts to omnicalc. Though i'd be happy to give someone the letter sprite data file (it's in the source (in the download) anyway).

That may be quite a good idea and the hook code would be the same on the CSE, i only need to make some minor changes to the lookup and ofcourse the sprites itself. Maybe even add some kind of parser hook to allow sprites to be registered via basic? that would be quite awesome O.O
Ideally hook usage should be kept to a minimum, because almost everybody who play games have Doors CSE installed. Even with just a custom font I am worried that the font hook would overwrite Doors CSE hooks and either cause xLIBC/Celtic 2CSE and Homerun stuff to stop working or even freeze the calc. Basically, you would need to ensure there are no hook conflicts. Another issue is speed: Sometimes, parser hooks slows the calc down, so you would need to make sure that a custom font doesn't slow the calc down too much.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

Yeah, but hooks are stored seperately and if you do some proper chaining (which isn't realyl hard, i just haven't implemented it yet) eveything should still work. Though people need to make sure not to get the hooks in some kind of loop, where hook A activates hook B and hook B activates hook A.
It would still be a cool parser hook though :)

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on April 14, 2015, 05:19:41 PM
This morning i got the idea to make a font hook that replaces letters with their Dovahzul equivalent:

It has a few changes, though:
- Since the dragon language has no c, the sprite is the same as 'k' with a minor change
- Things like 'Ah', which normally is 1 letter in the dragon language, is now just 'a' and 'h'

Also this was more of a quick experiment, so i made only a quick menu, without fancy moving parts.
(if you press one of the keys for the menu, it will enable/disable, just no action is shown)

EDIT: i wanted to have an alphabet here, but it doesnt seem to show pictures from ClrHome

Nice prank idea, I should find a way to do that silently and quickly on pal's calcs
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

brentmaas

Quote from: Duke "Tape" Eiyeron on April 15, 2015, 10:56:52 AM
Nice prank idea, I should find a way to do that silently and quickly on pal's calcs
1. Take one identical-looking calc.
2. Switch pal's calc with the previously-mentioned calc, preferably without mr./ms./mrs. pal noticing.
3. Upload DovahClc to pal's calc and activate.
4. Repeat step 2 in reverse.
5. Preheat oven to 250° C.
6. Put victory cake in oven until it's about to catch fire.
7. Laugh whilst eating cake.

NOTE: forget about the cake in case of no nearby oven.
Lel I glitched Omni

Snektron

Don't forget to put in exam mode too while you're at it :P

Snektron

So i've found the error of some characters not displaying correctly, i didn't handle some mode's in the hook as i should have. After i fixed that
I tried to implement hook chaining. After a few hours struggeling i think i finally got it, at least that's what happens in the debug. I test with Omnicalc to see
if chaining works. If i run the code step for step from the point of where i jump from my code, via some code copied to SaveSScreen, to Omnicalc's hook, i can see
that it indeed does jump to omnicalc's code. But it doesnt display any of their characters. (i installed some random font i found on omnicalc). Anyone got ideas of what i'm doing wrong here? (if you want to see some code just say so)

Dream of Omnimaga

Actually which OS are you testing this on? Because the official version of Omnicalc doesn't run on MathPrint OSes. Same for xLIB. You should test with ZStart and DCS7 instead if you use 2.53/2.55MP. Or install OS 2.43.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Quote from: brentmaas on April 15, 2015, 02:44:12 PM
Quote from: Duke "Tape" Eiyeron on April 15, 2015, 10:56:52 AM
1. Take one identical-looking calc.
2. Switch pal's calc with the previously-mentioned calc, preferably without mr./ms./mrs. pal noticing.
3. Upload DovahClc to pal's calc and activate.
4. Repeat step 2 in reverse.
5. Preheat oven to 250° C.
6. Put victory cake in oven until it's about to catch fire.
7. Laugh whilst eating cake.

NOTE: forget about the cake in case of no nearby oven.

>ib4 the cake is a lie.

Yeah, that won't happen as I'm probably the only one who kept his calc now. (CS school)
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Snektron

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 16, 2015, 03:31:43 AM
Actually which OS are you testing this on? Because the official version of Omnicalc doesn't run on MathPrint OSes. Same for xLIB. You should test with ZStart and DCS7 instead if you use 2.53/2.55MP. Or install OS 2.43.
Yeah i tested it with 2.55MP, though i can run Omnicalc and it's hook does work. But do ZStart and DCS7 have a font hook? else i might just copy my app and compile it under a different name (and change some sprites) to test it.