Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Most secure/ideal Internet forum software ?

Started by gameblabla, May 02, 2017, 10:26:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameblabla

So now that my quest for blog software is over (spoiler: the winner was Jekyll),
i would like to open a forum on my website as well.

However, i'm not much a fan of phpbb : it already has suffered security issues in the past and since it is popular, most spammers/hackers love to target it.
Simple Machines Forum is also out of question, i mean just look at this website...
I have never seen you guys not complaining about SMF (=_=)

I found about Discourse, which looks pretty cool and it was used in the pebble forums.
However, it is gigantic, pretty slow and they don't seem to focus on the technical sides of things...

bbPress is out of question since it depends on Wordpress and i refuse to use Wordpress on domain. (but not when i build websites for others haha)
Wordpress itself also suffered from numerous security issues, in addition to being quite heavy (in size).

I found about FlaskBB and this looks very interesting : it is implemented in Python (less degenerate language than PHP) and it also looks very nice.
But i can't actually install it on my server because it lacks pip and virtualenv X_x

What do you suggest me ? I thought about using something like Danbooru instead but that's not quite what i want...
Thoughts ?
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Dream of Omnimaga

Have you tried Flarum? It's not finished, though.

As for SMF, our main complains is about outdated it got since CW opened. 2.1 was supposed to be out long ago but one of their developer prefers spending time trying to scare away newbies or anyone giving suggestions from the support forum while loathing modern social media trends, rather than maintaining 2.1 and updating it to today's standards. I am fairly sure @Sorunome knows who I am talking about.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

p2

Refering to the discussion about encryption and them using totally unsecure standards?
Remember it <_<
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah, the way they handled the discussion (threatening Sorunome and locking his topic) almost made us switch away from SMF overnight or at the very least post a big rant about it over here and link to the rant there (rather than posting it there since it would get censored/locked anyway), although that would have been too drastic of a sudden change for the users, so I decided against it.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

p2

even the devs of that encryption say it's more like a hashsum, but was never ment to secure passwords as it's not safe enough! look at that *link* or that *link*
- nuuu shut up, it's safe! LALALA CANT HEAR U!! Broooo, can we lock this topic?

tl;dr of SMF admins discussing security with soru <_<

still the alternatives aren't that much better :P
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)

Dream of Omnimaga

An unrelated question about the forums would also be: What do you plan to have on that forums that  CW lacks and what would be your motivie to have a forum on a personal site in addition to CW?  :P

p2

PaintHippo - the hippo driven retro community for microsoft paint lovers *insert fat hippo pixelart*

gameblabla

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 10, 2017, 07:13:52 PM
An unrelated question about the forums would also be: What do you plan to have on that forums that  CW lacks and what would be your motivie to have a forum on a personal site in addition to CW?  :P
It's quite simple why : everything not allowed by CW will go here.
(well except murder attempts, gossiping, hatred etc... but i will allow c and especially hentai)
I tried to open one here using Elkarte :
https://boards.gameblabla.nl

Unfortunately, it does not play well with restrictive CSP settings. (they're disabled for now on my website...)
This is frustrating, so much in fact i might actually consider phpBB but i need to test that one.

Also, lol at the SMF's incident about encryption.
Even after WannaCry, nobody gives a c about security, much less a priority.
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

p2

so you want a pure NSFW subforum full of anime tiddies, furries, pr0n, ...?
To be honest I doubt that'd be woth the effort as the combination of 4chan and a private messenger like Telegram already gives you all that:
anime tiddies and a secure way to share them.

Quote from: gameblabla on May 15, 2017, 10:24:58 PM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 10, 2017, 07:13:52 PM
It's quite simple why : everything not allowed by CW will go here.
if by "not allowed" you mean "banned" then I doubt I'd want to go on that site  :ninja:
We rarely ever ban someone, and when we do it's only to protect the rest of the community and the peaceful atmosphere.
We allow a loooot of shady stuff (talks about pr0n, how to brew chemical drugs, selfmade explosives, ...) but sometimes we simply have to step in, cuz we have at least SOME rules afterall.
We do try to avoid giving warnings and bans, and often look away on purpose cuz we know that if we were too strict it would be no fun.
But those that get banned usually really overdid it. More than once.
And a community full of those people, that'd be nothing different that /b/