Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[PC] Shajun - Free 3D terrain utility

Started by kotu, February 02, 2017, 01:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kotu

Thought I would add this as a tool, it's a tool for visualising 3D terrains (based on input heightmap) which can output a useful selection of images.....

normal map (x,y and z of terrain normal encoded as rgb)

shade map (lighting adjustable)

full lighting+colour 2d output

use of custom gradient

Link here --->> http://futurerave.uk/extras.php

*edit
feature requests anyone??
  • Calculators owned: TI 84+CE-T
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3
SUBSCRIBE TO THE FUTURERAVE.UK MAILING LIST
http://futurerave.uk

p2

Well I currently got no use for such a software as I dont plan on creating 3D games ^^
but I really like the idea of working with pictures only for everything.
is it possible to measure distances between points on the map? like both air-distance and direct walking path following the surface? :)
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

kotu

Quote from: p2 on February 02, 2017, 09:56:02 AM
is it possible to measure distances between points on the map? like both air-distance and direct walking path following the surface? :)
no and
direct walking path following the surface would be dubious as it depends on how you draw the quads - |/| or |\|
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3

Snektron

Neat. Does this generate terrains too or just convert hight maps?
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

kotu

it doesn't generate terrains.... it just accepts a height map as its input

p2

I think what koto is trying to say is that the program uses these pictures (heightmap and coloring) as input to create a 3D model of the map.
I dont think there's a need to export it as the pictures themselves work as the savefile.
But I agree, an output, for example as a blender file, would be really cool as well :thumbsup:
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)

kotu

Quote from: p2 on February 02, 2017, 11:55:34 AM
But I agree, an output, for example as a blender file, would be really cool as well :thumbsup:
i could probably do that

p2

that would really rock kotu!!
Just do some graphics work and BOOM you got your 3D landscape!  :thumbsup:

kotu

Have just upgraded this program to a version 2, have added some new stuff including quick zoom out on right click, ability to turn sun on/off (thus leaving just ambient light) and height quantization. The height quantization allows for stuff such as the following....... (could be useful for 3D plaformers or something)

Won't be adding the blender export for a while as I am working on something else now

The new File isn't uploaded yet btw, will edit this post when I do that. Cheers!
*EDIT*
file has now been uploaded thanks

Dream of Omnimaga

Something cool is if this could convert small maps into gLib and HP PPL format. Nice tool, by the way :3=
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

kotu

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 02, 2017, 08:15:04 PM
Something cool is if this could convert small maps into gLib and HP PPL format. Nice tool, by the way :3=

well i wasn't planning on adding exports for LOADS of file formats, you have mentioned 2 which i think are for calcs, and p2 has mentioned blender

i guess one PC format and one calc format would be reasonable

it's just knowing/choosing the right ones lol

thoughts people??

Dream of Omnimaga

My HP PPL suggestion was because that on-calc language has a Triangle() command that takes a list of polygons and it lets you generate 3D graphics. The downside, though, is that there aren't any textures.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

kotu

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 03, 2017, 05:20:56 PM
My HP PPL suggestion was because that on-calc language has a Triangle() command that takes a list of polygons and it lets you generate 3D graphics. The downside, though, is that there aren't any textures.
well this tool doesn't feature textures anyway

this answers one of the things i was thinking about anyway - how the map should be output as a 3D model. i was thinking (for a blender export) to add no colour/lighting, but now i realise there should definitely be two modes for output - one without any lighting, and one with. nice one dj

p2

if you get that done and keep working on it, this tool could actually become the missing software to turn blender files into various calc-related formats, which would definitely be aesome  O.O
(most calcs and on-calc tools do NOT support blender files, gLib is pretty much of an exception there)

kotu

if i was going to do that it would be a separate tool, however, that is probably something i would not be interested in doing *lazy*  (-_(//));