Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Videoway device

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, July 16, 2016, 06:09:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkinnyV

I highly doubt videotron or quebecor will be interested in the least. It's true tought that some of those game are fortunately still playable in their original version on computer but sometime the feeling ain't the same. I actually tracked down and spoke with the developer of Styx and he was very pleased to hear people were still thinking of his game, he even share the source to the game on his website and other people ported it to Windows and such for newer system.  But he told me that he was unfortunately not responsible or involved in the development of the videoway port, he just sold them the right and visited the Videotron office once to be shown how the port was playing. He said he might have some VHS recording of the gameplay from that meeting but he doesn't know where it is and there is already footage on youtube so not super exciting.

Yuki

As far as I know, there's a guy who reverse-engineered a Vidéoway box and the chips inside, but it's probably as far as we could go without the software.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah, regarding Québécor, I think they would only care about bringing the games back online if they got like tens of thousands of names on a petition. Anyway the sucky part is that normally with old games we can simply remake them from scratch for newer devices, but if there is no more trace of the original then it's impossible to remake the game. Plus most game remakes aren't even 100% true to the originals anyway (http://martintheriault.net/games/temporel.html comes to mind). Another problem is that since the games were in French, finding the original can be hard due to the tendency of renaming things instead of just translating them (Home Alone movie series comes to mind)

By the way, here is a list of the games that were available: http://videoway.wifeo.com/table-des-matieres-jeux-videoway.php (ignore the game links, because the versions available to play there are not even close to the original and are just for reference)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U