Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Casio Loopy game console

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, June 26, 2016, 03:19:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

So in one of TI-Planet's TI-Casiez Vous article, I learned about the existence of the Casio Loopy game console. Yes, Casio actually made a game console before: https://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=18769

Apparently it only came out in Japan, only had 10 games and the target audience were girls.  The console definitively failed since they only targeted a then-niche audience and only had a limited game genre range. However, it's weird in the way that it's apparently a 32-bits console that lacks 3D support, but also it has a small thermal color printer on the front.

Most games on it were dating/clothing simulators. Not sure if anyone here would be interested in trying games for it if they're enough into anime and visual novel stuff. Maybe there could be something interesting for them?

Anyway I thought I would share. I am curious about if it can be hacked?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Welp, that's... very interesting. Nice printer, though.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

gameblabla

The Casio Loopy has one of the greatest add-ons ever made : the Magical Shop.
Basically, it can take screenshots from another device (like a Megadrive), edit them
and then print them.

Someone showcased this on a real casio loopy :

A nice curiosity this console.
However, i prefer the NEC PC-FX over this since i can actually easily make homebrew games unlike the Loopy
and it just has more interesting games overall. (as far as obscure video game consoles go anyway)

QuoteI am curious about if it can be hacked?
It has a SH-1 processor, which should be supported by GCC...
The only problem is making a cartridge that would fit inside this thing.
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh I thought the Magical Shop was just one of the 10 games rather than an add-on lol. This console was released a bit too early IMHO. Sure, if it came out later the technology would have needed to be different, but with how popular anime and Japanese culture got outside Japan nowadays it could have become some sort of console for JRPG gaming or visual novels.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Quote from: gameblabla on June 26, 2016, 04:44:37 AM
QuoteI am curious about if it can be hacked?
The only problem is making a cartridge that would fit inside this thing.
Well, any emulator out there?
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

gbl08ma

Ha! So Casio was already using SuperH back in 1995... that confirms my suspicion that they used that architecture in (most of) their calcs for reasons beyond those detailed by TeamFX at https://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=250134#250134

In all, products like the Casio Loopy and the Casio ML-81 ("musical calc", also mentioned at TI-Planet previously) are good examples of the kind of exotic products Japanese companies like to create and show off at tech tradeshows, sometimes to never be seen again (at least outside of Japan). Gotta keep those R&D departments busy...
  • Calculators owned: Prizm CG-20

gameblabla

Quote from: Juju on June 28, 2016, 09:47:44 PM
Yes, there's MESS (now MAME) which emulates the Casio Loopy pretty well.
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Yuki

Quote from: gameblabla on June 28, 2016, 10:58:57 PM
Ah, nice, I should check that out. Even though I don't speak Japanese.

Quote from: gbl08ma on June 28, 2016, 10:37:08 PM
In all, products like the Casio Loopy and the Casio ML-81 ("musical calc", also mentioned at TI-Planet previously) are good examples of the kind of exotic products Japanese companies like to create and show off at tech tradeshows, sometimes to never be seen again (at least outside of Japan). Gotta keep those R&D departments busy...
Japan don't really seem to have the same mentality as America when it comes to products.

Japan:
- Hey I have this really great idea
- Let's make it and show it off at this tech tradeshow, let's see if everyone will like it!
- Yeah come to think the target public is very narrow
- I don't care, we have enough money to make it!

America:
- lol no it's bad, not everyone will buy it, the target is narrow so it's not worth it and it's gonna suck anyway
- but
- I said no

Might explain why Japan is the king of useless inventions, too.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

Ha! So Casio was already using SuperH back in 1995... that confirms my suspicion that they used that architecture in (most of) their calcs for reasons beyond those detailed by TeamFX at https://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=250134#250134

It would be funny if the early Casio calcs also used SH processors. I don't remember what they used because documentation is hard to find. But the AFX was said to have a 4 MHz CPU (although it was fast enough to allow a flickerless grayscale action RPG). So maybe they started using Super H processors as early as 1995 in all their calculators? (IIRC, the first color Casio calculator was released in 1995)
Quote from: Juju on June 29, 2016, 01:11:51 AM
Quote from: gameblabla on June 28, 2016, 10:58:57 PM
Ah, nice, I should check that out. Even though I don't speak Japanese.

Japan don't really seem to have the same mentality as America when it comes to products.

Japan:
- Let's make it and show it off at this tech tradeshow, let's see if everyone will like it!
- Yeah come to think the target public is very narrow
- I don't care, we have enough money to make it!

America:
- lol no it's bad, not everyone will buy it, the target is narrow so it's not worth it and it's gonna suck anyway
- but
- I said no

Might explain why Japan is the king of useless inventions, too.
Well, weird stuff happens in Japan after all. I mean,
#1 look at the kind of games they produce compared to us.
#2: They have TV shows where people fall down scary pits and the audience is left wondering if they're dead and weird stuff like that.
#3: Despite producing the best cameras and Internet speeds in the world, all Youtube videos from Japan are still in 240p resolution.