Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

I have some bad news (related to Walrii contest and Steam)

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, February 04, 2016, 08:41:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Nah it's OK. It's just Steam being dumb for traveling 10 years back in time. I can understand it's for security reasons but couldn't they figure out an alternate way? I hope it's not the same thing that will happen for other stores in the near future. We don't want to switch to physical prizes because of what happened in past community contests that offered them (eg the 2009 and 2013 Omnimaga contests, along with the 2005 UTI ASM contest). ANyway I just sent the prize via Paypal now and it somehow worked @Unicorn (at least, from what I can gather from the receipt?), so that would mean both contest prizes are now sent.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

I think it worked, but I'm going to have to check in the morning (my kindle doesnt like paypal.com )
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

c4ooo

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 05, 2016, 07:25:52 AM
Nah it's OK. It's just Steam being dumb for traveling 10 years back in time. I can understand it's for security reasons but couldn't they figure out an alternate way? I hope it's not the same thing that will happen for other stores in the near future. We don't want to switch to physical prizes because of what happened in past community contests that offered them (eg the 2009 and 2013 Omnimaga contests, along with the 2005 UTI ASM contest). ANyway I just sent the prize via Paypal now and it somehow worked @Unicorn (at least, from what I can gather from the receipt?), so that would mean both contest prizes are now sent.
What happened? Insane shipping costs? Wrong addressees? :P

Dream of Omnimaga

2009: One of the winner, Builderboy, couldn't get his prize at home because his parents would have freaked out if they saw something in the mail coming from the "evil" Internet. Because most parents think that anything shipped from the Internet will contain anthrax or explosives. As a result, we had to ship the prize to one of his friends, Bwang, who then gave it to Builderboy.

2013: Because of 9/11, Geekboy had troubles shipping one of the calculator prizes because USPS has restrictions on battery shipments. It took months before he found a way to ship the prize.

Otherwise, I bet shipping costs would be an issue if we had a winner oversea.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 08, 2016, 11:31:34 PM
Hmm.....
Since I plan on winning sometime in the future, that will definitely be a problem, as I live in Horseheads, NY, USA. :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Araidia

Quote from: Dudeman313 on February 08, 2016, 11:35:52 PM
Hmm.....
Since I plan on winning sometime in the future, that will definitely be a problem, as I live in Horseheads, NY, USA. :P
Doesn't @DJ Omnimaga live in Canada?
iirc @DarkestEx lives in Germany, which could be a problem
  • Calculators owned: TI84+ CE

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard

DarkestEx

Quote from: Araidia on February 09, 2016, 03:54:06 PM
Hmm.....
My parents have no problem with me getting mail. I get mail all the time and I recently submitted my 100th Amazon order.
Also funny thing, sending anything from Germany to the US, Canada or similar is rather cheap (often under 14-15€) for a rather big parcel. Sending small stuff like coverts with gift cards is probably just around 1 to 2 euros from Germany to many countries. The other way round is a nightmare though. Shipping can be as high as 25 euro for small things. I hate ordering from the US, that is always a nightmare except if there is free shipping.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dudeman313

Oh.  I didn't realize this, as most of you guys are overseas, or just not in the US.
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: DarkestEx on February 09, 2016, 04:38:33 PM
Quote from: Araidia on February 09, 2016, 03:54:06 PM
Hmm.....
My parents have no problem with me getting mail. I get mail all the time and I recently submitted my 100th Amazon order.
Also funny thing, sending anything from Germany to the US, Canada or similar is rather cheap (often under 14-15€) for a rather big parcel. Sending small stuff like coverts with gift cards is probably just around 1 to 2 euros from Germany to many countries. The other way round is a nightmare though. Shipping can be as high as 25 euro for small things. I hate ordering from the US, that is always a nightmare except if there is free shipping.
Yeah, shipping seems to be much cheaper from Europe to USA/Canada than it is from USA to Canada, for some reasons. When I grew my calculator collection a few years ago, most calcs I bought from USA were $40 shipping each, yet the ones from China and Australia were $7-12. On top of that, stuff from the USA often took longer to arrive than from Europe.

I live in Canada, by the way.

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 05, 2016, 07:25:52 AMWe don't want to switch to physical prizes
Idk, but personally I would prefer a physical price over anything as it is more personal and you look at that thing and instantly see and know that you won it. Happyness will persist much longer. Be it a physical game or a device or anything else. Steam games are just a rather boring price :(
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

DarkestEx

Hayleia

Quote from: DarkestEx on February 09, 2016, 11:27:23 PM
Idk, but personally I would prefer a physical price over anything as it is more personal and you look at that thing and instantly see and know that you won it. Happyness will persist much longer. Be it a physical game or a device or anything else. Steam games are just a rather boring price :(
Well, I won some calculators from contests, and I can tell you that apart from telling me "I know I won it", my TI-76.fr doesn't serve any purpose. If I had won money (for Amazon or whatever), I could have bought a more useful calculator (or something unrelated to calculators).
Plus, fees and stuff are really annoying. I ordered something from Canada last week (it arrived yesterday) and I had to pay 35€ just for shipping. If there are two prices, it makes 70€ for shipping. With virtual money, these 70€ can make a third prize instead of being wasted on shipping.

Dudeman313

The answer is "Sure."

Hayleia

Quote from: Dudeman313 on February 10, 2016, 10:54:03 AM
Well. you could always sell the TI-76 on eBay... :P
No one would buy that lol.
But I understand why they gave this I think. They probably had physical donations from sponsors and stuff. Without sponsors though, (virtual) money is best in my opinion, rather than not giving the choice and giving less value due to wastings in shipping.