Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

I have some bad news (related to Walrii contest and Steam)

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, February 04, 2016, 08:41:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Hi I have some bad news:

It appears that Steam no longer sells Steam Wallet (gift card) codes online to be given to someone else. During the first CW contest, there was an option in Steam stores to send Steam wallet codes to other people. But it's now gone and now the only way to buy a gift card for someone else is to go to a physical Gamestop store or order one on Amazon to be shipped at your home.

Not only that, but they now only provide fixed amounts of $20, 50, 100, no custom ones. Since CodeWalrus has a policy of only offering digital prizes for contests (it is done for safety reasons, as parents and Internet don't mix) a physical gift card wouldn't have been an option anyway.

As a result, despite the CodeWalrus Contest II announcement including Steam in the type of gift cards that winners can choose from, we will not be able to fullfil that request and thus, the winner or runner up will have to choose a different store.

There is, however, a workaround that can allow a contest winner or runner-up to still get Steam stuff from the contest prize: We can simply buy you games for a total of what the contest prize is worth for (eg CAD$30 or $70 worth of games). But then you would need to choose which games you want for that total then I buy them. But that's a lot of hassle because your Steam store is American while mine shows prices in Canadian dollars, so I guess choosing a different store such as Amazon is recommended.

In the past, iTunes also had many annoyances: For example, in some countries you were forced to enter a credit card number in order to redeem an iTunes gift card.

I doubt this is a serious issue for contestants, especially @c4ooo 's prize which was a different store and was sent a few minutes ago) but I'm bringing this up to public for the sake of transparency, since this involves the removal of one of the choice of contest prizes after the winners have been declared and we apologize for the inconveniences, in particular to the one affected ( @Unicorn ). We also feel that it's a very dumb move from Steam, as we are now in 2016, not 2006. (Aren't digital gift cards the successor of plastic cards, much like how plastic cards were the successor of gift certificates?)

Source: https://store.steampowered.com/account/redeemwalletcode
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

That is quite weird. I thought I had seen paypal selling online codes a month ago... It might have been ebay, but Idoubt it.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

They don't let people choose the amount of funds they want anymore, though. All they offer are fixed amounts.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

alexgt

• Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

DarkestEx

Then give away Amazon codes or PaysafeCard codes. They tend to be more useful anyways as you can either buy other gift cards with them or just let Paysafe transfer them to ones bank account.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

Actually that could work. I could give Unicorn one of those cards so he can buy a Steam gift card. But it depends if the store lets us buy a gift card with a gift card.

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 04, 2016, 07:39:17 PM
Actually that could work. I could give Unicorn one of those cards so he can buy a Steam gift card. But it depends if the store lets us buy a gift card with a gift card.
The cards I just mentioned will certainly allow for buying other gift cards, as I have used both in the past before I had a bank account for paying online.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Unicorn

I know amazon doesn't allow that.

A prepaid Visa card would just be easiest, if it works internationally. If not, a 20 dollar steam card is fine. ;)
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Yuki

That or I can always try to print you a t-shirt and I'd ship it internationally, if the winners are okay with this. Otherwise, a prepaid credit card would definitely work.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Unicorn on February 04, 2016, 08:25:58 PM
I know amazon doesn't allow that.

A prepaid Visa card would just be easiest, if it works internationally. If not, a 20 dollar steam card is fine. ;)
Where can you buy digital Visa gift cards online?  I checked Google, and only found shady sites I never heard about before.

@Unicorn Would you mind getting a $20 Steam wallet code via Paypal, then tell me if there is an extra $2-3 Steam game you would like so I can then send you a code for it?

Unicorn

Sure, that would be fine! Whatever's easiest for you guys. ;)

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

So gogogogo, pick a $2-3 Steam game in there and let me know which one you want  :P http://store.steampowered.com/search/?filter=ut2&category1=998&os= (hm there is even an RPG there O.O)

(I'll buy the gift card as soon as possible so you can buy even more :3= )

Unicorn

Haha thanks! I'm on mobile right now, so it might be an hour or so before I get on my computer :P

EDIT: What do you think of this, @DJ Omnimaga ? http://store.steampowered.com/app/397350/?snr=1_7_7_ut2_150_2

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

My god... that game is still a thing? That can work, though. Also it appears to run on WIndows 8 (maybe it comes bundled with DOSBox?).

Just be warned: I saw a friend play this game in 1997 and it's motherbleeping hard. But it seemed kinda fun if you're into old-school strategy games. You build your army, then once you're ready you send it against another, but also you can attack castles I think.

EDIT More bad news:

gg America. So @Unicorn since a Steam gift card is no longer an option at all (since your e-mail or Paypal account doesn't accept any payment from outside USA) you'll have to choose an alternative or give me a list with $23 worth of Steam games you want (US dollars of course). Sorry D:

Looks like CW Contest III will not offer Steam gift cards when it happens...

Unicorn

I sent you a pm about that, it might work now... Sorry for being such a problem x.x

??? ??? ??? ??? ???