Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

WARNING: Do not set your Java programs minimum version above 7u65!

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, March 05, 2015, 07:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

WARNING: Do not set your Java programs minimum version above 7u65! The reason for this is that after this, Oracle decided to add new security features that will block many third-party Java applications in your browser, but there will be no way to ignore the warning.  In addition to that, Java 8 removes the Medium security settings. Java will simply force the setting upon you and then this is what will happen:

And here is the problem that arises next: The Ignore option will not work. Reload will reload the page but it will not fix the problem either. And what's worse is in your Java security settings, even if you add the website or URL to your exceptions list, Java will still block them anyway. In other words, the Exceptions list does nothing at all, no matter if you follow the instructions properly at http://java.com/en/download/help/jcp_security.xml ! Switching to a different browser won't solve the problem either, same for restarting.

So yeah, as a result, some people will be forced to downgrade back to a version of Java that didn't implement those ridiculous security measures. So please, developers, be kind to the people affected by this and make sure that your java games and softwares can run in older versions.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

jre7 is my standard platform :)
(also it looks like the medium feature was removed in java 8 update 20, but i recall it was added to jr7 too)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Yuki

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 05, 2015, 07:08:22 PMSo please, developers, be kind to the people affected by this and make sure that your java games and softwares can run in older versions.
That or don't make your game in Java in the first place. There's way better programming languages out there. Although that's just my opinion, feel free to make stuff in Java anyway, but make sure it works with all those ridiculous security settings.

Actually, the security settings is more for Java applets embedded on a web page, I dunno if it does this on desktop Java apps. Anyway, for the web, HTML5 is way better.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah the thing is since the last few years, java became much faster than it used to be. I remember when anything 3D lagged like mad. The problem now is that Oracle is breaking compatibility or adding security stuff that makes it harder and harder for the user to use java softwares. It can still be a nice language to develop games in it, but I definitively recommend making sure that your programs will be useable by everybody.

I also need to try learning HTML5. I am curious about what kind of cross-browser compatible game that could be done using it and CSS3.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

@Juju i agree, although Java was intended for the web it's much better as desktop programming environment >.<
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Yuki

C programs can be ported with Emscripten, SDL works as well as Qt. So the sky's the limit, I guess.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

pimathbrainiac

As a Java programmer, I know that that is only a problem with unsigned web applets. Not an issue for desktop applications and signed web applets.

A better warning would be to sign your web applet, or use Dart instead of Java for web stuffs.

EDIT: But anyways, it does suck that Java 8 does this now. It's like the drivers issue in Win8
Well, I'm bach here too!

Dream of Omnimaga

Didn't the driver issue start with 64 bit Vista and 7? Remember how it took until 2011 before it became possible to send calc files using a 64 bit OS

pimathbrainiac

While that was an issue, I was talking about Win8 requiring signed drivers unless you do a complicated workaround.
Well, I'm bach here too!

Dream of Omnimaga