Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Relics of the past - Did you know that Superstar Hero is almost one DECADE old?

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, October 09, 2018, 03:23:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

O.O

https://www.omnimaga.org/news/super-star-hero-a-futuristic-action-rpg-for-windows/

Quote from: xlibman on October 22, 2008, 08:13:21 AM
It has been common for Omnimaga to share projects with other communities, such as MLC. This time it is happening again with my first action-RPG ever made using RPG Maker 2003: Super Star Hero.

As some people might have noticed a week ago, I uploaded a song called "Superstar Hero" in the archives and that song was a drastic change in musical genre compared to other music on this website. It was in fact intended to be used inside a game and my plan was to make one using RPG Maker 2003 using either a custom battle system or real-time action. However, since I needed to make sure such project was feasible in RPG Maker 2003, this is why I haven't been as active on the forums and IRC in the past week. Finally I opted for an ARPG, due to it being slightly easier to do and requiring less pixel art skills, as a random battle system would have forced me to draw much bigger enemy sprites.

This project will be a co-Omnimaga-TIMGUL (The International Music Generator Users Lounge) production. The game is currently being developped by me. Most graphics are also by myself, but there are others by Necro (a lot which have been modified) and a smaller amount from the RPG Maker presets (all modified too). The entire soundtrack will be created using MTV Music Generator (which was released as Music 2000 outside North America) for the Playstation. Sound effects are being created with that software as well as another software to generate 8-bit sounds. Music will all be contributed by me and members from TIMGUL. As of now, my tracks as well as Beoulve's are used.

Here are some screenshots:

Here is a Youtube video showing the game intro:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQDDmSQ5tDA&fmt=18

As you might guess from the title and the logo the game is intended to be a little cheesy and cliché. The main character is in fact a super hero and he must save the world, going through hordes of enemies, altough, as you can see in the intro, he's in a little bit of a trouble since he has nothing to defend himself with. When the game starts the first thing you will want to do after the mountain part you're on collapses is to find a weapon upgrade so your attack power is no longer 0. In this game the leveling up system will be upgrade-based. You will be able to raise 3 stats: attack, defense and speed. Attack and defense goes from LV 0 to LV 10 and speed from LV 0 to LV 5. To raise them you must gain gold from enemies and buy upgrades at shops. The game will be a mix of Zelda, Megaman, Ys and such popular titles, far away in the future in a semi middle age and futuristic environment. Check out for more updates soon!

Oh and happy belated birthday Netham45!
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

mazhat

"Top ten Video Games that have been in development hell"
"Top ten unreleased animes"

[Also shout-out to Netham45, Happy Birthday old boye]
  • Calculators owned: TI-83Plus, TI-84Plus
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Samsung TAB A (Cheap), DSI, Rasperry PI 3
Sketti

Dream of Omnimaga

Were you on Omnimaga by the way Mazhat? I forgot. Also yeah lol I stopped working on the game because back in the days, RPG Maker 2003 had compatibility issues with Windows Vista or higher and the game was quite buggy. However, when I discovered that RM2K3 finally got legally released outside of Japan after 13+ years of wait with new updates, I regained interest.

As it turns out, most game bugs finally ended up becoming ABS (action-battle system) features and were left in for more experienced players and speedrunners.

Which reminds me, you can actually play the January 2009 build (or maybe it's from earlier?) at https://www.omnimaga.org/files/Our-TI-PC-Products-Music-and-Calculator-Videos/Our-Non-Calculator-Games-and-Products/ssh.zip . Half of the soundtrack in this version was not composed by me, but was made with the same music softwares as I use.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

mazhat

I was never on Omnimaga, no. I am not part of The Old Guard :'(
I'm glad that you're still working on the game however!
Superstar Hero somehow feels very nostalgic to me.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83Plus, TI-84Plus
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Samsung TAB A (Cheap), DSI, Rasperry PI 3
Sketti

Dream of Omnimaga

Aah ok, I was wondering about Omnimaga since you know Netham45, who was mostly active way back in the late 2000's.

And yeah SSH is meant to mimic some of the retro games released in the 90's, especially Turbografx-16/PC Engine and SNES.