Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

July 2016 Monthly CW Project Award winner: Internet on the Casio PRIZM

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, August 11, 2016, 04:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

This time, the Monthly CW Project Award did not result in a tie. 14 members voted in the July 2016 edition and the results are now out:

Internet on the Casio PRIZM is the winner of the Montly CW Project Award for July 2016. Congratulations @Juju and great job to everyone else for their contributions! :)

Monthly CW Project Award winners list as of August 11th 2016:
June 2016: (84+CE) ICE Compiler v1.1
July 2016: (fx-CG10/20) Internet on Casio PRIZM
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Did I win for my theorical project idea? Aw sweet, thanks everyone.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Yes it seems. To be honest I was surprised since it didn,t have much progress in a while but it seems that a lot of PRIZM owners want it to happen, so hopefully you continue working on it in the near future and make Internet on a PRIZM a reality :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

Congrats Juju.

I don't think winning for a theoretical project idea should be possible (not saying Juju didn't win, but for the future) .
Come on guys. We need an actual set of judges to judge quality of something that exists.
I am sure Juju has spent a lot of time planning (though I haven't had a look at the project yet), but I think there should be more criterias and voting should just be one and maybe count 60 percent.
Just popularity basing doesn't work. There are many more actual projects that have made more progress recently that are worth mentioning and they are not really voted for. I voted for the SID emulator and my own project. I also really liked the Train game.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Yuki

Well, the point of that contest is pretty much to encourage the authors to continue working on their projects, which is why we accept unfinished projects and ideas. This is also why a popularity contest is enough, that and judging all of the projects each month would also probably take too much of our times, I'd reserve that for the big annual contests. You won? Well everyone will expect it finished, so keep working! You didn't? Improve your project, it will probably gain some popularity, better luck next month! Those projects who came second might as well win next month.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

DarkestEx

Quote from: Juju on August 15, 2016, 08:41:11 AM
Well, the point of that contest is pretty much to encourage the authors to continue working on their projects, which is why we accept unfinished projects and ideas. This is also why a popularity contest is enough, that and judging all of the projects each month would also probably take too much of our times, I'd reserve that for the big annual contests. You won? Well everyone will expect it finished, so keep working! You didn't? Improve your project, it will probably gain some popularity, better luck next month! Those projects who came second might as well win next month.
What annoys me is that popularity is very often not quality. I am not accusing anyone of making bad content but popularity doesn't measure the other factor. A good example would be MS-Windows which is crap compared to nix'es but is popular because it comes pre-installed. Also low popularity means nothing to improving quality as there is a lack of feedback. Do we all have to start clickbaiting or sticking cats or sexy (anime) girls on our tumbnails to catch people? Of course opinions dispute here too but seriously Windows has quite a few oddities.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

This year's monthly and yearly projects award was set so that people judges by themselves which project they feel is more worthy of winning by voting for them, rather than staff judging what is eligible or not. Of course we can't change the formula in the middle of it in order to be fair for September-December entries, but if we do notice that projects with barely any progress slips in too often in the winners or vote counts then starting January there will definitively be some adjusting being done that will increase the criterias for entry.

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 15, 2016, 10:39:19 AM
This year's monthly and yearly projects award was set so that people judges by themselves which project they feel is more worthy of winning by voting for them, rather than staff judging what is eligible or not. Of course we can't change the formula in the middle of it in order to be fair for September-December entries, but if we do notice that projects with barely any progress slips in too often in the winners or vote counts then starting January there will definitively be some adjusting being done that will increase the criterias for entry.
In my opinion there should be a staff 40 percent and a community 60 percent split. This would really improve the selection for the project of the month.
About advertising current projects how about front paging good ones randomly on a mid-week basis? Like a reserved space there not individual posts.

Dream of Omnimaga

DarkestEx

Dream of Omnimaga

Of course it's up to you to apply though. And preferably not wait half a year between news articles :P

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 15, 2016, 06:32:08 PM
Of course it's up to you to apply though. And preferably not wait half a year between news articles :P
I would like to apply, please :)

Dream of Omnimaga

The other staff have been notified. Also back on topic, @Juju we should meet in Quebec City this week so I can lend you my Casio Prizm. Just make sure to tell your bro it's mine, though <_<

Yuki

Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Unicorn

inb4 everyone votes for the newest project with one line of code and a terrible base idea. (there are no projects like that, in my opinion)
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???