Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[java][OpenGL] Walrii PC game

Started by c4ooo, February 13, 2016, 08:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Do you mean mockups of the graphics I mentioned?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

c4ooo

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 07, 2016, 06:10:45 AM
Do you mean mockups of the graphics I mentioned?
Mockups of what to replace the blue background with, and maybe a new title screen.

I need to port the core mechanics, should not take long to get a playable port :)
Right now i just dont have the time x.x

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh ok. I don't have much ideas for the title screen. A blue gradient would make the game look like a Windows 98 installer <_<.

Here are the graphics I meant, by the way (I don't have code for them right now, but most were made so they could be generated from line, rectangle and such commands, using colors defined in the level data):

Also the block sprites in the large pic (the ! block, the star, arrows, rocks and spikes) are not dynamically generated.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

That last one is something I'd want to see on my CE...
Also, I might be able to design a title screen or 2, given the time. It also depends on how the end game will look, so if you want me to design a fancy title screen, you're gonna have to finish the game first. Like a book; you want it written before you choose the coverpage.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Well, the last one was pretty much remade into Wal-Rush, but the graphics above were originally intended to be for an HP Prime platformer I never worked on much. As for the title it really depends indeed. Sometimes, it doesn't need the game to be completed, like First Fantasy, since it only needs text, but there are games where we can't make the title screen until we are 100% sure of the final theme.

Dudeman313

Like deciding the title of book chapters. It takes forever.
But that platformer would have looked nice if you had finished it.
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh true, book chapters and even game chapters can take a while to be decided. That reminds me, I forgot if Illusiat 12 had chapter titles (it was the only game in the series that showed Chapter <number> when switching chapters.

Dudeman313

True, but back to the topic- @c4ooo , are you going to get back to this soon?s
The answer is "Sure."

c4ooo

Quote from: Dudeman313 on March 17, 2016, 10:35:19 PM
True, but back to the topic- @c4ooo , are you going to get back to this soon?s
Yes, i have it almost ready for release, but some stuff came up, so this might have to wait a week or two >_>

c4ooo

Soryy for double post. I released a very alpha version that is still missing some things.
Can someone try and test out the .exe  to make sure they it work?
(Windows ONLY) (linux and mac soon)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4B_lqaVH02oR1d4NUNYX0NDanM/view

alberthrocks

Quote from: c4ooo on March 18, 2016, 04:54:07 PM
Soryy for double post. I released a very alpha version that is still missing some things.
Didn't realize this requires the JRE! Something that you might wanna use to make it portable and not require the JRE:

https://github.com/libgdx/packr

It's cross platform, so it should do the trick for every platform you want to support!
(Just make sure to download the OpenJDK builds for all platforms you want to support.)

c4ooo

Quote from: alberthrocks on March 18, 2016, 05:34:34 PM
Quote from: c4ooo on March 18, 2016, 04:54:07 PM
Didn't realize this requires the JRE! Something that you might wanna use to make it portable and not require the JRE:

https://github.com/libgdx/packr

It's cross platform, so it should do the trick for every platform you want to support!
(Just make sure to download the OpenJDK builds for all platforms you want to support.)
It doesnt take long to install java though... :(

Snektron

Don't all Java programs need the JRE to run? ._.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

c4ooo

@alberthrocks also by JRE do you mean Java Virtual Machine (JVM)?

alberthrocks

Quote from: c4ooo on March 18, 2016, 08:10:35 PM
@alberthrocks also by JRE do you mean Java Virtual Machine (JVM)?
JRE = Java Runtime Environment, which contains the JVM needed to run your program!

Java is a bit annoying to install, though... and for some people who have limited access to their computer, they may not be allowed to install Java at all, hence why having it bundled would make it portable.