Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Your rarest and most expensive physical video games (collectibles)

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, January 05, 2016, 08:17:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

So now it might be time for people in North America to stock up in retro game collectibles (*cough*and graphing calculators*cough*) sold in UK on Ebay  if they're not region-locked, because with the Brexit, the UK currency exchange rate just nosedived dramatically and it was already down from past levels to begin with. That's unless sellers already adjusted their prices up to take advantage of this, though.

Does anyone know if the Commodore 64 is region-locked or if it has a NTSC/PAL switch?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

gameblabla

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on June 24, 2016, 03:53:01 PM
Does anyone know if the Commodore 64 is region-locked or if it has a NTSC/PAL switch?
The C64 is not region-locked.
However, many PAL games will not work on NTSC C64 and many NTSC games will not work on PAL C64.
If you want a C64 though, pick up the PAL version, as most of the games out there target it.
There is also no NTSC/PAL switch.

Speaking of rare physical games, i have a first batch Rodea : The Sky Soldier copy with the Wii prototype version.
As soon as i heard about the Wii prototype being bundled with first batch copies, i had to preorder it.
Ironically, the Wii version is apparently better than the Wii U version as the Wii U is based on the inferior 3DS port.
On the Wii, it is a charming game. However...
[spoiler]There are tentacles at the end of this game. YES[/spoiler]

I also have Dondonpatchi Ressurection Deluxe Edition with the CD audio that came with.
Originally, i paid this game 20€ brand new.
It's now more than 35€ used...

Another pretty expensive game for Wii is Fragile Dreams.
It is a pretty good action/adventure game with a somewhat decent plot (dat gay kiss).
Too bad it's linear...

I also have plenty of N64 games that used to be not so rare but are now worth more than 30€....
(including Ocarina of Time and Mario Party with their boxes)

It's just crazy how expensive retro video games became, especially now.
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Dream of Omnimaga

Thanks. I am worried about buying a C64 only to find out I can't plug it or can't use it on my TV.

Also I wanted Rodea: The Sky Soldier for the Wii but I thought it was a standalone Wii release. Is it really limited or will it be reprinted? I might grab a copy if it isn't.

I should check out Fragile Dreams. And yeah I agree that retro games are getting really expensive. Thankfully most NES classics are not that expensive, but SNES ones are insane and what I noticed is that N64 games are what is increasing the most in price since the last two years. I bet the Gamecube is next in a few years. For some reasons, that isn't as much of a trend with Playstation games. I have MANY PS1 and PS2 JRPGs, some of which are obscure or hard to find, yet none of them are above $30.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dream of Omnimaga

gameblabla

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on June 26, 2016, 06:42:22 AM
Thanks. I am worried about buying a C64 only to find out I can't plug it or can't use it on my TV.

Also I wanted Rodea: The Sky Soldier for the Wii but I thought it was a standalone Wii release. Is it really limited or will it be reprinted? I might grab a copy if it isn't.
It's already too late to grab a brand new copy... The Wii version was bundled inside the Wii U version and only for first batch copies.
Your only option now is grab a used one and hope it is not expensive...

QuoteI have a flash-cart called the EverDrive N8 that was pretty expensive, does that count?
It should count, that is, until a better flash cart is released and supersedes the N8...
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: gameblabla on June 26, 2016, 03:00:56 PM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on June 26, 2016, 06:42:22 AM

It's already too late to grab a brand new copy... The Wii version was bundled inside the Wii U version and only for first batch copies.
Your only option now is grab a used one and hope it is not expensive...

QuoteI have a flash-cart called the EverDrive N8 that was pretty expensive, does that count?
It should count, that is, until a better flash cart is released and supersedes the N8...

I'll check if Microplay and EB Games still have the original Rodea print run. Microplay still sells brand new Wii games, after all :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Ha, FIFA 14 for the PS2 (NTSC) is now near the top of the list on Pricecharting for most expensive used games:

https://www.pricecharting.com/console/playstation-2?sort=highest-price&genre-name=

It's now up there with Rule of Rose, Kuon, .Hack Quarantine and Haunting Ground

p2

I never understood why people spend so much money for Fifa anyways... Each new version is just a little patch with new players but still people pay like 50€ each year... it's like paying 15€ for each new minecraft update... <_<
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Hayleia

I got Freakyforms Deluxe for 9€99 just the Saturday following the Friday when it was declared as the new Cubic Ninja, and I also got Cubic Ninja for 8€99 the same day lol :P
What a wonderful day it was. Some people don't know about the value of things...

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: p2 on October 07, 2016, 07:41:20 AM
I never understood why people spend so much money for Fifa anyways... Each new version is just a little patch with new players but still people pay like 50€ each year... it's like paying 15€ for each new minecraft update... <_<
Yeah and the last year game drops to $20 and then $10. There are exceptions, though, such as when it's the last sport game released on the console. Eg FIFA 14 PS2 NTSC or PS Vita, FiFA 13 Wii U and FIFA 15 Wii. Madden 09 for original Xbox is over $40 during the Super Bowl

Quote from: Hayleia on October 07, 2016, 09:33:03 AM
I got Freakyforms Deluxe for 9€99 just the Saturday following the Friday when it was declared as the new Cubic Ninja, and I also got Cubic Ninja for 8€99 the same day lol :P
What a wonderful day it was. Some people don't know about the value of things...

Darn, nice find. :D

Dream of Omnimaga

Watch out when buying rare SNES games on Ebay, because I noticed in the last few months that the amount of fake, reproduction or counterfeit cartridges has increased drastically. For Demon's Crest, for example, there were more fakes than original and most fakes did not state in the title (or sometimes even the description, so you had to judge based on the photos) that it was a repro cart.

The seller rating is irrelevant in this case. Most fake cartridge sellers had 98% or higher, most likely done from unsuspecting customers, customers that didn't care if the cart was fake or not or via multiple Ebay accounts.

EDIT: Also I heard that certain retro gaming stores over here are now selling repro carts as genuine carts.

xMarminq_

I think one (that I don't have) is mean girls for the DS. Look it up, it exists  :crazy:
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84 Plus CE, Ti-84 Plus (can be borrowed from my school)
I don't associate with associations