Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

First Fantasy II: Pokéwalrus (Pokémon-inspired game with 3 vs 3 battles)

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, September 05, 2016, 11:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unicorn

• Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

p2

He did lose it ... to his evil calculator-hating parents...  :ninja: :'(

@Dudeman313 did you try loadign a ROM dump on a virtual machine on your computer? ;D
That might be a solution as they (hopefully) wouldnt take your computer, too ^^
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Dudeman313

I did that, but CEmu doesn't function properly on my computer because it is old as so darn crappy, but still semi-pleasantly usable.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Have you tried running it at 50% emulation speed and lower frame rate? Or does it just crash or cause errors? I forgot. An alternative would be using WabbitEmu instead if you plan to stick to pure TI-BASIC or if Doors CE 9 comes out, but then that would require getting an actual CSE to get the ROM for legal reasons. It's also not guaranteed that Wabbit would run any better if your PC is so old.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

My PC was made for Windows Vista and has unchangeable Open GL 1.1 graphics because the graphics card is part of the motherboard. It cannot even boot CEmu, unless I use the Windows XP version, in which the keyboard mapping still doesn't work at all for me.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

p2

anoher option would be using LinuxLiveUSBCreator to get a bootable Linux USB (using any ISO of your choice) and retrying it on Linux then :) That should generally speed up your system and graphic performance :)
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)

Unicorn

Quote from: Dudeman313 on October 14, 2016, 12:10:43 AM
My PC was made for Windows Vista and has unchangeable Open GL 1.1 graphics because the graphics card is part of the motherboard. It cannot even boot CEmu, unless I use the Windows XP version, in which the keyboard mapping still doesn't work at all for me.
Yeah, using linux could be a solution... Grab a 16 gb flash drive, as well as an 8 gb one, then create a bootable ubuntu install disk, and install to the 16 gb flash drive, and when you want to use CEmu, reboot to your flash drive. Or you could partition and do the same thing without a 16 gb flash drive :P

Split this into a help topic maybe, @DJ Omnimaga ?
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

MateoConLechuga

Quote from: Unicorn on October 16, 2016, 06:14:05 AM
Quote from: Dudeman313 on October 14, 2016, 12:10:43 AM
Yeah, using linux could be a solution... Grab a 16 gb flash drive, as well as an 8 gb one, then create a bootable ubuntu install disk, and install to the 16 gb flash drive, and when you want to use CEmu, reboot to your flash drive. Or you could partition and do the same thing without a 16 gb flash drive :P

Split this into a help topic maybe, @DJ Omnimaga ?
His computer works fine with the latest version of CEmu :)

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah it might be better to make a new topic or continue in the CEmu thread for help and support. <_<
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

kotu

Quote from: p2 on September 21, 2016, 08:23:25 AM
@DJ Omnimaga: It was me, this is the pic: Walriick :3
(except if c4ooo made one, too, and we got two rick walruses now) >.<

DJ you have to include the Walriick. He could be a special boss

Wish I was working on this :D

Any news?
  • Calculators owned: TI 84+CE-T
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3
SUBSCRIBE TO THE FUTURERAVE.UK MAILING LIST
http://futurerave.uk

Dream of Omnimaga

I'm still considering including some of the 2nd generation walruses, but it might either be as expansion or as 2nd game version. Eg I could have Pokéwalrus White and Pokéwalrus Green, with the green version including the newest Walrii, along with 50 of the 1st gen ones.

And sadly no update. Increased real-life duties have severely impacted my free time and I'm also quite tired lately.

p2

dont push yourself DJ, we understand you have oter duties, too :)
Also it's normal to have phases in which you just dont make any progress at all. Speaking of myself, I'm working at displaying even the first stupid tile since more than a week now... :/
Just be sure not to completely stop the project, ok? :) a few minutes a day will be enough ^^

Also @kotu lol you really like it that much? It was jsut ment as some stupid joke ^^

kotu

Quote from: p2 on October 19, 2016, 07:45:09 AM
Also @kotu lol you really like it that much? It was jsut ment as some stupid joke ^^
it has power
  • Calculators owned: TI 84+CE-T
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3
SUBSCRIBE TO THE FUTURERAVE.UK MAILING LIST
http://futurerave.uk

Dream of Omnimaga

In early 2016 I worked on an hybrid TI-BASIC RPG called Pokéwalrus intended to include 150 different walruses to capture in 3 vs 1 battles, giving you the ability to use them in battle parties. Unfortunately my interest in calc programming waned shortly after that and then past life issues took their toll on my health. However, starting in 2020 I started either reviving or giving major updates to calculator projects that had not been updated for years and/or were abandoned. This time around it's Pokéwalrus turn to get revived, although as a Celtic CE-enhanced TI-BASIC game instead of using grosged's Sprites library. Here comes First Fantasy II: Pokéwalrus (the original FFII project was renamed to First Fantasy Zero).

So far the overworld map is done, but you cannot enter any dungeon (I still need to do maps for them). The intro is also done and is essentially an hommage to the NES and Famicom Final Fantasy games, but the story setting is set around 1000 years after Darkblasters. There are already 46 playable characters in the game, out of 300. Battles are not done but the presentation is mostly done (although slow) and although they are separate from battles right now, attack move animations are done, although like in the NES Final Fantasy you'll notice while playing that many attacks are merely recolored versions of their originals. Nonetheless they show some Celtic non-sprite graphical capabilities. If Celtic CE ever allows the user to scroll only a portion of the screen then I might add an earthquake attack move to spice things up, but there are so many amazing things Roccolox Programs added to it already so Roccolox++ (yes I know Karma doesn't work on forums). I also obviously need to add dungeon maps to the mix (the overworld is 130x100).

It's essentially a more open-world, 3 vs 3 version of Pokémon with no human involved (other than for creating this universe in the first place by causing two apocalypses in a row) and no items (some walruses can heal others or themselves, so like in Final Fantasy it's generally a good idea to include a walrus that has healing abilities in your party. Keep in mind that the game will be very large, though. There will probably be a version with far fewer playable characters for those who prefers a smaller file size experience.

Dream of Omnimaga

The Pokédex, or rather the Walriipedia, has now been implemented. The screenshot doesn't show it but this is where you can assign characters to your battle party. There's also a new custom font now:

The game is 517 KB large so far, which probably makes it the second largest file size for a TI-84 Plus CE game outside of that 2D racer where the entire track uses over 2 MB worth of pre-rendered images.