Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Connecting a TI-84+CE to a GBA [gba] [nintendo] [ds]

Started by caleb1997, January 19, 2016, 09:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuki

You probably could use 6-pin USB cables, but you'd violate the USB protocol and you wouldn't be able to plug it to anything USB.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Streetwalrus on January 25, 2016, 07:58:02 PM
Forget about USB, the GameBoy came out long before that was a thing.
Erm, actually the Game Boy Color came out after USB. Unless Wikipedia is wrong, USB became a thing in the mid 90's and the Game Boy Color came out in 1998.

Anyway I don't think the port is USB either. It has to be the link port for multiplayer/file transfer (Pokémon, for instance) or infrared port.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

caleb1997

UPDATE: I now have a Gameboy ΛDVΛПᄃΣ .
Quote from: KermMartianIt appears that the Gameboy Advance has a similar serial link port that is also not a USB port, but you should definitely explore interfacing it with a calculator!

This I will definitely look into.

Something even more interesting to do would be to link the two wirelessly, as the GBA is wireless-capable. (It would need at wireless adapter though, and I'd have to mod one of the adapters to fit a micro USB port.... but boy, that would be interesting.)

But I'm not ΛDVΛПᄃΣD enough to do that (yet), so it'll have to wait.

In the meanwhile, one question: Since the GBA is different from the GBC, I'm guessing that I would have to write the communication protocol (to communicate between the C(S)E and the GBA) differently?
  • Calculators owned: CSE, CE

Dream of Omnimaga

I'm willing to bet this new topic title will mess up on IRC <_<

As for the GBA, I don't know much about it, but perhaps @Ivoah could help you, since he got into GBA homebrew at one point (unless he quit?)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

caleb1997

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 27, 2016, 08:03:06 PM
I'm willing to bet this new topic title will mess up on IRC <_<

As for the GBA, I don't know much about it, but perhaps @Ivoah could help you, since he got into GBA homebrew at one point (unless he quit?)

I'm pretty sure that he could, if he was willing.

novenary

He's still into it, I stalk #gbadev where he seems pretty active. :P He also used the link port for GPIO so he does know how it works. Programming the GBA is going to be pretty different from the GBC though.

caleb1997

Quote from: Streetwalrus on January 27, 2016, 08:33:27 PM
Programming the GBA is going to be pretty different from the GBC though.

Indeed.

Idea: Should I program for the GBC, and use that program with the GBA, or would the programming protocols not be compatible?

novenary

If you make a GBC program it will work on the GBA since it has backwards compatibility.

caleb1997

Quote from: Streetwalrus on January 27, 2016, 08:36:17 PM
If you make a GBC program it will work on the GBA since it has backwards compatibility.

So I should program for the original Gameboy, since that would ensure compatibility with the GB, GBC, and the GBA.

Dream of Omnimaga

The original Gameboy and Super Gameboy will only run Gameboy games
The GBC will only run Gameboy and GBC games
The GBA and Game Boy Player will only run Gameboy, GBC and GBA games
The Gameboy Micro will only run GBA games.
The Nintendo DS and DS Lite will only run GBA and DS games (it has two cartridge slots)
The Nintendo DSi will only run DS games
The Nintendo 3DS will only run DS and 3DS games
The New 3DS will only run DS, 3DS and Xenoblade Chronicles.

But yeah, for full compatibility, making an original GB game would be the best. But then you don't have colors.

ben_g

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 27, 2016, 10:10:58 PM
The Nintendo DS Lite and DSi will only run DS games
The DS Lite still has the GBA slot and it still runs GBA games. Iirc it basically has an internal GBA connected to that slot, so it will only be able to run GBA games inserted in the GBA cartridge slot though.

SiphonicSugar

Quote from: kegwaan on January 19, 2016, 09:25:22 PM
Absolutely. You could also try and condense a CSE into the housing of a GBC, but then you have the problem of all of the buttons not being able to fit onto the thing.
Why not put the Game Boy into the CSE?
  • Calculators owned: TI-89, TI-84 Plus, TI-92, TI-84 Plus C SE, and TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad
I'm just trying to grab some inspiration. :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: ben_g on January 27, 2016, 11:02:41 PM
The DS Lite still has the GBA slot and it still runs GBA games. Iirc it basically has an internal GBA connected to that slot, so it will only be able to run GBA games inserted in the GBA cartridge slot though.
Wait, I thought that the DS Lite was the one that dropped the GBA slot, not the DSi?
Quote from: Kid_Quasar_Gaming . on January 28, 2016, 02:40:14 AM
What about a game boy micro?
This one only runs GBA games.

JosJuice

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 28, 2016, 03:11:11 AM
Quote from: ben_g on January 27, 2016, 11:02:41 PM
Wait, I thought that the DS Lite was the one that dropped the GBA slot, not the DSi?
No, the DS Lite has a GBA slot just like the DS. The only difference is that the GBA slot in the DS Lite is smaller than a regular GBA slot, so any GBA games you put in it are going to stick out a bit from the console.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+ SE, Casio fx-CG10