Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

TI-92 cable

Started by Jemons, August 25, 2017, 12:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jemons

Does anyone know how to make a TI-92 USB cable or know where to get one for cheap? I want one to update the firmware on my TI-92.  :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-92, TI-82, PS-3960i, PS-6700, HP 48G+, TI-30X IIS, SHARP ELSI MATE EL-1611, SHARP ELSI MATE EL-310M, CASIO FX-300MS, Valentina the Bear...Wait,
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: iPhone 3GS (Broken), iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5Sx2, iPhone 6, iPhone 6S, SNES, NES Classic Edition, PS3, New 2DS XL, New 3DS XL, New 3DS, 3DS XL, 2DS, DSx2, DS Litex4, DSix4, DSi XL, PSPx3, PSVita, Xbox 360x2, Wii U, Wii, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocketx2, Gameboy Colourx2, Gameboy Advance, Gameboy Advance SPx2, Gameboy Micro, Nexus 7 (Broken), iPod Nano (4th, 5th, 6th and 7th generation), iPod Touch (1st and 4th generation), iPod Video (Broken), iPod Shuffle (2nd and 4thx2 generation),
Why are you reading this? Ohhh, right... This is my signature.

Sent from my iPhone

Dream of Omnimaga

You will have to buy a Silverlink USB cable from Texas Instruments, preferably on Ebay or something if it's cheaper there.

You cannot upgrade your TI-92, though, unless you got the very rare Plus module attached to your calculator, which basically turns your TI-92 into an hardware revision 1 of the upgradeable TI-92 Plus. All you can do is transfer TI-92 files.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Jemons

Quote from: xlibman on August 25, 2017, 03:56:11 AM
You will have to buy a Silverlink USB cable from Texas Instruments, preferably on Ebay or something if it's cheaper there.

You cannot upgrade your TI-92, though, unless you got the very rare Plus module attached to your calculator, which basically turns your TI-92 into an hardware revision 1 of the upgradeable TI-92 Plus. All you can do is transfer TI-92 files.
How do I know if I have the Plus module attached to my calculator?
  • Calculators owned: TI-92, TI-82, PS-3960i, PS-6700, HP 48G+, TI-30X IIS, SHARP ELSI MATE EL-1611, SHARP ELSI MATE EL-310M, CASIO FX-300MS, Valentina the Bear...Wait,
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: iPhone 3GS (Broken), iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5Sx2, iPhone 6, iPhone 6S, SNES, NES Classic Edition, PS3, New 2DS XL, New 3DS XL, New 3DS, 3DS XL, 2DS, DSx2, DS Litex4, DSix4, DSi XL, PSPx3, PSVita, Xbox 360x2, Wii U, Wii, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocketx2, Gameboy Colourx2, Gameboy Advance, Gameboy Advance SPx2, Gameboy Micro, Nexus 7 (Broken), iPod Nano (4th, 5th, 6th and 7th generation), iPod Touch (1st and 4th generation), iPod Video (Broken), iPod Shuffle (2nd and 4thx2 generation),
Why are you reading this? Ohhh, right... This is my signature.

Sent from my iPhone

Lionel Debroux

You need to open the back of the calculator as if you wanted to, say, change the batteries, which requires moving a piece of plastic on the top (or bottom ?) side to unlock the back. You might then see one of the modules listed at e.g. http://www.datamath.org/Graphing/TI-92_Expansion.htm .

One of the software ways to check whether you have a Plus module should be the availability of "Archive" / "Unarchive" entries in Home -> 2nd -> Var-Link -> F1. If they're missing, then the calculator doesn't seem to provide user-accessible Flash memory.
Member of the TI-Chess Team.
Co-maintainer of GCC4TI (GCC4TI online documentation), TIEmu and TILP.
Co-admin of TI-Planet.