Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Looking for a good controller for retro gaming in particular

Started by Hayleia, August 21, 2016, 05:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hayleia

The cable with lag was one with "Kobo" written on it. No idea why I have that since I don't have a Kobo lol, I have a Kindle. But whatever, I wouldn't be surprised if they did a cheaper and slower cable somehow just because e-readers never need to transfer a lot of data.

The other one is a Belkin one.

Dream of Omnimaga

This is not a gamepad suggestion, but something I noticed with my Saitek Rumble Force is that with a few games or softwares, the d-pad doesn't work or can't be used, even if the game looks like SNES games. I believe I had this happen in emulators too. It's annoying because using a joystick in an RPG where the character can only move tile by tile in 4 directions is annoying since you always end up moving in the wrong direction. I like the gamepad otherwise, though, because the buttons on the right are laid out like on the Sega Genesis (6 buttons) and the rest is almost identical to Playstation consoles.

But I wonder if the issue with d-pad not working happens with every gamepad or if it's specific to each one and simply a game-specific issue?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

aetios

I still would recommend the nes30 pro :P It looks much better for emulator gaming than a ps4 controller, mainly 'cause they use a better D-Pad.
ceci n'est pas une signature

Hayleia

Quote from: aeTIos on August 24, 2016, 04:04:24 PM
I still would recommend the nes30 pro :P It looks much better for emulator gaming than a ps4 controller, mainly 'cause they use a better D-Pad.
Well I don't really feel like paying for a controller I no longer need :P
Plus, the look goes very well with the case :P
[spoiler=The Look][/spoiler]
And I don't have to complain about the D-Pad at all. The one on the DS2 was weird, and the one on the XB1 PowerA didn't have any resistance, but the one on the DS4 is great :)

Also, I had another theory about the lag. Maybe it's because it's a wireless controller, which means it charges from the USB port (instead of just taking the power it needs to return input values) so the Pi didn't have enough power left to run at full speed... but then why did changing the cable work? -.-

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 24, 2016, 02:55:31 AM
This is not a gamepad suggestion, but something I noticed with my Saitek Rumble Force is that with a few games or softwares, the d-pad doesn't work or can't be used, even if the game looks like SNES games. I believe I had this happen in emulators too. It's annoying because using a joystick in an RPG where the character can only move tile by tile in 4 directions is annoying since you always end up moving in the wrong direction. I like the gamepad otherwise, though, because the buttons on the right are laid out like on the Sega Genesis (6 buttons) and the rest is almost identical to Playstation consoles.

But I wonder if the issue with d-pad not working happens with every gamepad or if it's specific to each one and simply a game-specific issue?
Yeah, some games and emulators don't like some controllers and stuff, or the contrary :P
For example in retroarch, hatari does support the DS4, but its configuration is hardcoded so you can only play with the stick even though the D-Pad makes more sense. That's stupid.

Hayleia

(dat necropost doe)
Quote from: Hayleia on August 24, 2016, 07:04:56 PM
Also, I had another theory about the lag. Maybe it's because it's a wireless controller, which means it charges from the USB port (instead of just taking the power it needs to return input values) so the Pi didn't have enough power left to run at full speed... but then why did changing the cable work? -.-
I still don't know why changing cables worked but I still confirm that theory I think. I got a 3A power source (as opposed to the 1A one I was using) and now Kirby Super Star runs flawlessly even when using the cable that used to "cause" the lag. Well, not sure the Pi would be able to handle 2 Dualshock 4 with that power source but at least I can use a longer cable so that's already better :P

p2

It makes me wondering you're the first ne having reported such problems...
I wonder if the internal resistance of the cable is that high and also if theres no alternatives for that...

Also hi Hayleia :D
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Hayleia

Yeah, I really have no clue about what caused the difference with cables. I don't even know if the problem was using the short cable on the power source or using the long cable on the controller (I only have two of them, one short and one long, so the setups I tried were "long on power and short on controller" (no lag) or "short on power and long on controller" (lag)).

Anyway, now with the 3A source, no problem. I even have a second DS4 now, and there is no lag with both plugged (and yeah, one is on the short cable and the other one is on the long one, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter anymore) :)

Dream of Omnimaga

I never liked wireless gamepads much. It sucks when  you run out of batteries in the middle of a good game. As for longer cables, I often heard that TI calculator transfers over long I/O cables were slower than with short ones. Maybe longer cables can also cause delays with gamepads key input? That said, sometimes it depends of the device as well. The RetroDuo NES/SNES clone, for example, has key input lag.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

p2

I might be mistaken, but aren't electrons moving super fast, like half a meter in a micro second...?
how comes there are lags so big you can notice them? D:
or are the transfer protocolls terrybly bad written? O_o
(for both the controller as well as the TI linking cables - I guess you're refering to the silverlink?)
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Hayleia

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 26, 2016, 05:49:29 AM
I never liked wireless gamepads much. It sucks when  you run out of batteries in the middle of a good game. As for longer cables, I often heard that TI calculator transfers over long I/O cables were slower than with short ones. Maybe longer cables can also cause delays with gamepads key input? That said, sometimes it depends of the device as well. The RetroDuo NES/SNES clone, for example, has key input lag.
Lol yeah, no idea why people like wireless so much. I can understand why we don't plug cables in portable consoles anymore to keep some freedom of movement, but what kind of freedom of movement is needed when both the home console (or PC) and the TV (or monitor) doesn't move and you probably won't go too far from them anyway? Why have the drawbacks of wireless (batteries, input lag) when you can have the benefits of wired (no one walks between the TV/monitor and you since there is a cable there)?
So yeah, that's why "wired" was in my "requirements" category, not in "wanted".
I don't worry too much about input lag on retro games though. They are either easy (and playable with light input lag) or unplayable (with or without input lag) :P

aetios

in an optimal situation they move fast, but you get a lot more signal delay and interference when your cables are longer and thinner.
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Hayleia on December 27, 2016, 10:46:58 AM
Lol yeah, no idea why people like wireless so much. I can understand why we don't plug cables in portable consoles anymore to keep some freedom of movement, but what kind of freedom of movement is needed when both the home console (or PC) and the TV (or monitor) doesn't move and you probably won't go too far from them anyway? Why have the drawbacks of wireless (batteries, input lag) when you can have the benefits of wired (no one walks between the TV/monitor and you since there is a cable there)?
So yeah, that's why "wired" was in my "requirements" category, not in "wanted".
I don't worry too much about input lag on retro games though. They are either easy (and playable with light input lag) or unplayable (with or without input lag) :P
My biggest issue is if a mouse requires AA batteries or something like that. Rechargeable ones are expensive and lasts so short, in addition to being unuseable during charging. Internal batteries are not as bad, but it's still annoying when I have a good Starcraft matchup going on against a diamond or platinum player, only to be told the following: "Sorry, you won the game. My mouse ran out of batteries. GG". It's a free win but it's boring, especially when it costs you a legit win against a more skilled player.

GalacticPirate

Lol, actually if the controller runs on a rechargeable battery (like the Wii U Pro one) you can still plug it to have unlimited battery :p And My Wii U Pro controller still has its 80 hours of battery life after one year and a half :D
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS (4.4.0), TI-83 Premium CE (5.2.1), TI-83 Plus.fr USB (2.55MP), Casio fx-92 Collège 2D+, Casio fx-92 Collège 2D
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Nintendo Wii U (NSMBU+NSLU premium pack, 5.5.1E), New Nintendo 3DS XL (Monster Hunter Generations, Sys 11.5.0-38E)

Hayleia

Quote from: STV on December 30, 2016, 07:17:53 PM
Lol, actually if the controller runs on a rechargeable battery (like the Wii U Pro one) you can still plug it to have unlimited battery :p And My Wii U Pro controller still has its 80 hours of battery life after one year and a half :D
But then your controller has input lag and is heavier than a regular wired controller without any benefit.

Dream of Omnimaga

Wait, the Wii U pro gamepad has input lag? How did Nintendo fail their own controller? ???